Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chia will be selling off as much as he can.  He's hooked on #1's now and wants to get more.

He'll need a lot of luck doing that. He has 3 players with years left on $6 million contracts that have grown up in a losing culture so have no real compete level.That's not the type of player teams add for what they hope is a playoff run. There are rental players available that make less & aren't afraid of going into the corners or crashing the net.

Justin Schultz is a gem. A supposed offensive defenseman that doesn't put up points nor defend. @ 3.9 & becoming RFA he wouldn't even be in demand as depth.

Purcell is probably the lucky 1 that manages to escape that disaster as a rental. But @ 4.5 it might need retained salary. Since they are unlikely to move Nurse (although he's been a disappointment but possibly the result of that bad team) & Klefborn the rest of the losing cast has little value. Expect the status quo.

The Leafs are selling off everyone with a pulse in their tank job but Edmonton has the experience so might well pick 1st OA yet again. They are probably working on a catchy new rallying cry losses = Auston or something.

Yet some of their long suffering fans feel UFAs will flock there to play with McDavid although they expected that to happen with the golden boys as well. They talk of McDavid signaling yet another new start. Version 3 in 10 years after the 1 around "young guns" Gagner & Cogliano & then the golden boys.

The Oilers should look into getting more water bottles for their bench..

Hall must have been really thirsty...

7ea8d9650363dd253416328894535766.png

Looks like Hall is practicing his deepthroat technique in game...he's taking his team "choking" to a whole new level!

Not even he could do better with that group up North. It's actually mind boggling to me, that a franchise with so many high draft picks, still hasn't figured out how to develop the talent or escape the losing culture that permeates from the walls around them. How do they still have a fan base? Knowing that the draft has, for the last 10 years, basically no impact on the following season...other than sucking the fan base into continued support. I think Leah Hextall said it best last night. "The Oilers suck" I nearly died from laughter when she said what everyone else has to be thinking, but don't have the courage to say it.

I heard Leah comment on the Oilers, it's no secret. She had a point regarding barring the Oilers from anymore top picks,just watch as they win this year's draft as well...the rest of the league will be incensed.

He'll need a lot of luck doing that. He has 3 players with years left on $6 million contracts that have grown up in a losing culture so have no real compete level.That's not the type of player teams add for what they hope is a playoff run. There are rental players available that make less & aren't afraid of going into the corners or crashing the net.

Justin Schultz is a gem. A supposed offensive defenseman that doesn't put up points nor defend. @ 3.9 & becoming RFA he wouldn't even be in demand as depth.

Purcell is probably the lucky 1 that manages to escape that disaster as a rental. But @ 4.5 it might need retained salary. Since they are unlikely to move Nurse (although he's been a disappointment but possibly the result of that bad team) & Klefborn the rest of the losing cast has little value. Expect the status quo.

The Leafs are selling off everyone with a pulse in their tank job but Edmonton has the experience so might well pick 1st OA yet again. They are probably working on a catchy new rallying cry losses = Auston or something.

Yet some of their long suffering fans feel UFAs will flock there to play with McDavid although they expected that to happen with the golden boys as well. They talk of McDavid signaling yet another new start. Version 3 in 10 years after the 1 around "young guns" Gagner & Cogliano & then the golden boys.

This year's slogan for another season of losing is "We lost em' for Auston"

The rally cry will be the new building next year. Oiler fans will buy tickets to see and be seen in the new building. The draft is now what they play hockey for in the fans eyes. That is their playoffs & prize, how high they can draft.

We all worry about Gio's and Johnny's new contracts as being hard on the cap.  Compare those two guy to any Oiler.  There is nobody there that competes as hard as these two guys.  Nobody that hates losing as much.  Nobody with a contract over an ELC that plays for it.  Hall is a good player, but gives up.  He plays safe now.  Eberle is a joke.  Nuge plays hard, but is also mostly a perimeter player.  None of them are worth their salary to a team looking to win.  

Chi is parroting what the fans want to hear.  Big changes, but maybe not till the summer.  Need a stud D, but may have to trade core. Need to get bigger.....bla, bla, bla....Whatever they can get rid of to ensure a top 3 pick will be done.  The team is not a team.  Their coach knows it.  Chia just wants to feed the masses hope.  Keep his job.  Katz will talk to Nicholson and tell him what Chia is allowed to do.  

The rally cry will be the new building next year. Oiler fans will buy tickets to see and be seen in the new building. The draft is now what they play hockey for in the fans eyes. That is their playoffs & prize, how high they can draft.

That is so sad. I mean that without sarcasm. Poor schmucks.

The Flames need to get back to earned, not given but the Oilers need to find a way to reverse given if not earned.

Do you think Yak is a player that could be resurrected from the dead?  He has one attribute that we are absolutely missing from a power play; a big one-time from down low.  I think he's a project for sure, but do you think there is any value to him or is he just a smug little lazy punk?  If there was value (and the cost was low), it would be fun to get him from the Oilers.  If he blossomed, the fans would burn Roger's Centre (and light little Katz's hair on fire).

Do you think Yak is a player that could be resurrected from the dead?  He has one attribute that we are absolutely missing from a power play; a big one-time from down low.  I think he's a project for sure, but do you think there is any value to him or is he just a smug little lazy punk?  If there was value (and the cost was low), it would be fun to get him from the Oilers.  If he blossomed, the fans would burn Roger's Centre (and light little Katz's hair on fire).

It would take teaching him a work ethic & I'm not sure if it can be done as I've heard he tends to ignore coaches even in practice but the Flyers fixed Del Zotto. A few hard practices & a coach that chews his butt might send him into a coma.

A trade would be along the Sven path but I wouldn't give up as much as a 2nd with the Flames looking like they'll pick early. Oilers need vets,size & physical play so I'd see if Chia bites on Bollig as it also saves a bit of cap. Add a 5th (pick or bottle :lol: ) if needed. He's a risk (might even be a flight risk running back to Mother Russia) but for the price of Bollig & that 5th I'd gamble but not go higher. He's a risk that could be a Seguin or kick around the league as salvage like Daigle.

It would take teaching him a work ethic & I'm not sure if it can be done as I've heard he tends to ignore coaches even in practice but the Flyers fixed Del Zotto. A few hard practices & a coach that chews his butt might send him into a coma.

A trade would be along the Sven path but I wouldn't give up as much as a 2nd with the Flames looking like they'll pick early. Oilers need vets,size & physical play so I'd see if Chia bites on Bollig as it also saves a bit of cap. Add a 5th (pick or bottle :lol: ) if needed. He's a risk (might even be a flight risk running back to Mother Russia) but for the price of Bollig & that 5th I'd gamble but not go higher. He's a risk that could be a Seguin or kick around the league as salvage like Daigle.

As far as fit goes, he could replace Jones or Hudler on RW, but I would NEVER put him with Johnny. 

He might be a bit of a Prima Donna, so he might not be a great idea.  I think a Flames practice would be a big eye opener for him, though McLellan probably has tough practices.  It's risk reward, so I don't know if the chances of reward are high enough.

Do you think Yak is a player that could be resurrected from the dead? He has one attribute that we are absolutely missing from a power play; a big one-time from down low. I think he's a project for sure, but do you think there is any value to him or is he just a smug little lazy punk? If there was value (and the cost was low), it would be fun to get him from the Oilers. If he blossomed, the fans would burn Roger's Centre (and light little Katz's hair on fire).

I think a team like Washington for example would consider adding a player like Yak. Part of his development problems at first were the language barrier. Ovi , Kuznetsov...could be the right change of scenery. Then again I could see any prospect or core player leave the Oilers and then thrive on a different team.

I’m sure glad our Coach doesn’t stand in front of the media and say “we should trade some of these guys”.  I’m also glad our GM doesn’t advertise to the world that everyone is available except player M.  Our team is handled by professionals who announce moves after they have been made, not before, unlike what I see in other organizations.

If the Flames played the game the same way the Oilers do I would be willing to almost guarantee Hartley would have done the same thing. He's called players out before and with the way Edmonton has been playing it would drive him crazy. A third of their team is playing like the season is already over and Mclellan won't, and shouldn't, stand for that because its exactly what needs to change. That organization has done too much hand holding, time for some tough love. 

If I were McLellan I would drive those guys into the ground the next month or two. You'll learn really fast who wants to be there and who is a pro. Anyone who can't handle it, out the door. 

If the Flames played the game the same way the Oilers do I would be willing to almost guarantee Hartley would have done the same thing. He's called players out before and with the way Edmonton has been playing it would drive him crazy. A third of their team is playing like the season is already over and Mclellan won't, and shouldn't, stand for that because its exactly what needs to change. That organization has done too much hand holding, time for some tough love. 

If I were McLellan I would drive those guys into the ground the next month or two. You'll learn really fast who wants to be there and who is a pro. Anyone who can't handle it, out the door. 

When you throw your players under the bus (deserving or not) it’s an indication you are starting to lose the room.  I’m pretty sure Hartley would never use those words in front of the media.  He might bench them and say player Y is not playing to his capabilities or similar but to target known players and say they should be traded is going too far imo.

When you throw your players under the bus (deserving or not) it’s an indication you are starting to lose the room.  I’m pretty sure Hartley would never use those words in front of the media.  He might bench them and say player Y is not playing to his capabilities or similar but to target known players and say they should be traded is going too far imo.

I'm with Cross on this one. 7 coaches in 8 years, sucking for about that long or more, something has to change. Other coaches might have been too scared to call out the golden boys but McLellan is not. I'd say most could consider him a good coach. In his mind, he thinks this is what he needs to say to get the players to wake up and get their heads out from where the sun don't shine. He's not afraid to hold them accountable. If they want to ignore him like all the other coaches, he's willing to call out their BS in public.

It's going to take some tough love to begin to get the miasma of losing out of that locker room.

I'm willing to converse on if saying they should be traded was the right thing to say, but to the coach he must have thought it necessary.

According to a thread on the Oiler Boards Yak is refusing to practice the systems that the coaches are requesting him to. Instead he is practicing his one time shot making.

I recall his agent coming to complain to the coach and management that the reason Yak was not performing was a lack of playing time and a lack of quality linemates.

He started to produce when paired on a line with McGesus. Take that as you wish.

Your thinking is not too far off. Well we can get a good indication what Hartley would do from what he has done/ & reacted to poor play in the past.

He took Baer and Backs and demoted them and sat them both. Told the media they were not performing up to par. Backs took that and improved his 2 way play and Sven didn't over the next few games. Sven shortly after was sent down and only managed a quick cup of coffee after.

Hartley has sat a few players for single games to pick up their performance. JH, Wideman for example.

It depends on what stage the coach is at with the team. I would agree that if a coach had been there for a while and the players weren't performing then throwing them udner the buss is a sign you are starting to lose the room. For a coach in his first year and for a franchise that has had so many coaches over the last few years I thinks its aboslutley necessary to throw the players under the buss. After that many coaches its not an issue of who does or doens't have the room, it's time for accountability in Edmonton and for once that accountability has to go to the players. For so many years they have been given excuses and I think McLellan is just saying the excuses are over. 

According to a thread on the Oiler Boards Yak is refusing to practice the systems that the coaches are requesting him to. Instead he is practicing his one time shot making.

I recall his agent coming to complain to the coach and management that the reason Yak was not performing was a lack of playing time and a lack of quality linemates.

He started to produce when paired on a line with McGesus. Take that as you wish.

i don't know if playing with McJeezub proved anything other than he can score with a decent pass.  The Oiler fans are on him as much as they think Connor can do no wrong (should have been suspended back before him injury for a dirty hit).

I doubt the fans have much insight into the practices, but what you said about his agent was true.  That was when Yak was getting 3rd or 4th line minutes.  There were rumors that Larianov wanted to have him go back to the USSR (old habit) for the season.  But that was just rumors.  

If he has issues with usage, he might not last with Hartley.  Rightly so.  If it's poor utilization, well that's different.  We don't really have any weapons on RW.  As I said, it would just be a funny trade, if the Flames got him for a song, and he started lighting it up.  They would go ballistic, and blame the coach and GM.   

Problem with acquiring Yak is its only worth it if the cost is really low and I think just based on the fact that its Calgary the Oilers would drive the price up. They would have to make it worth it to them to offset the potetnial of seeing him play against them at least 6 times a year.

So I don't think its realistic. Might be a decent roll of the dice for another team but probably not the Flames. 

Your thinking is not too far off. Well we can get a good indication what Hartley would do from what he has done/ & reacted to poor play in the past.

He took Baer and Backs and demoted them and sat them both. Told the media they were not performing up to par. Backs took that and improved his 2 way play and Sven didn't over the next few games. Sven shortly after was sent down and only managed a quick cup of coffee after.

Hartley has sat a few players for single games to pick up their performance. JH, Wideman for example.

“You know……its not all chocolate cake out there”.  BH

“Tonight we are going to give player X a bird’s eye view, sometimes they see things differently from up there”.  BH

“The largest motivational tool a coach has is ice time”.  BH

One thing I have noticed with BH is that when things are going bad for his club (such as a 8-10 game losing streak) he gets quieter and says less in the public eye, and that’s why I think he is one of the best coaches in the NHL.

It depends on what stage the coach is at with the team. I would agree that if a coach had been there for a while and the players weren't performing then throwing them udner the buss is a sign you are starting to lose the room. For a coach in his first year and for a franchise that has had so many coaches over the last few years I thinks its aboslutley necessary to throw the players under the buss. After that many coaches its not an issue of who does or doens't have the room, it's time for accountability in Edmonton and for once that accountability has to go to the players. For so many years they have been given excuses and I think McLellan is just saying the excuses are over. 

Shultz had 21:16 min of ice time Tuesday night, before the big charade.

Archived