Louis23

I can't believe an Edmonton sports writer would consider whether McDavid should be rushed back into the lineup 2 weeks ahead of schedule due to  RNH being injured...   facepalm.gif

From:   http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/jim-matheson-with-nugent-hopkins-out-should-oilers-bring-back-mcdavid-now

Jim Matheson: With Nugent-Hopkins out, should Oilers bring back McDavid now?   01e329d592ec791451bf50445297040b.png

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good ol Matheson! This is absolutely believable, Oilers nation want to see results right now. 10 yrs out of anything that isn't the Draft has them desperate for anything remotely resembling progress. They rather rush McDavid back in hopes he can turn this thing around..like right now! Same expectation they've set for all their draft picks. For once the Oil are playing meaningful games in January..this is foreign territory for them and McDavid in their eyes is their best chance at maintaining this momentum

It would be absolute folly to bring McDavid back before he is 100% healed from an injury so early in his NHL career.

It's just not worth the long term risk.

If the Oilers were a contender expected to go deep in the play-offs this season; some people MIGHT consider it, but personally I'd still wait.

They're gonna land another top 3 draft pick this year which is frustrating, why the league keeps rewarding ineptitude after 10 years is part of the problem.

They arent rewarding it, the oilers will have some tough choices with who they keep. Im not worried, they still need to build a defence, and find some solid depth. I dont think their goaltending future is set with talbot either.

The Oilers have played 3-4 games more than most teams in the division and have to make up about 8 points. They're done. I think we are too.

They arent rewarding it, the oilers will have some tough choices with who they keep. Im not worried, they still need to build a defence, and find some solid depth. I dont think their goaltending future is set with talbot either.

The one thing they have done for themselves is gain all of these almost elite assets that are a jumble that = crap. So some of those top picks can land them a guy that can fill their Top4 D. I am glad they didn't get Seth Jones from trading RNH. 

Yeah the Oilers still have a long way to go, the new Drafting system should make it a bit harder for them to keep landing these #1 picks as well. Hall is the only real solid contract they have on the books, pretty much the rest of the roster is overpaid. It would just be a shame to see them land a line of Hall, Matthews and McCollarbone. I agree as well that their goalie situation isn't set and neither is ours but I do think we have the balanced team overall. We have some great young pieces on the come up, especially on D

The Oilers have played 3-4 games more than most teams in the division and have to make up about 8 points. They're done. I think we are too.

The one thing they have done for themselves is gain all of these almost elite assets that are a jumble that = crap. So some of those top picks can land them a guy that can fill their Top4 D. I am glad they didn't get Seth Jones from trading RNH. 

In my opinion its no different then the situation the pens were on when they got malkin, crosby, letang, fleury etc. Yes the pens did get into the playoffs eventually but they really havent become a dynasty or anything special. Im not saying the oilers will turn out the same, but having a few elite players doesnt make a good team. If the oilers draft matthews by some miracle, it wont change anything and if they do trade some talent for top 4 D so be it.

Carolina Hurricanes are celebrating their 10th year anniversary since winning the Stanley Cup. The Oilers haven't been to the playoffs since. My Oilers friends are finally in agreeance that it's time to trade some of their core. They've finally realized being marred in a losing culture has really hurt the value of their core players, not even McDavid can save this franchise.

Carolina Hurricanes are celebrating their 10th year anniversary since winning the Stanley Cup. The Oilers haven't been to the playoffs since. My Oilers friends are finally in agreeance that it's time to trade some of their core. They've finally realized being marred in a losing culture has really hurt the value of their core players, not even McDavid can save this franchise.

The core is really hard to figure out.  Draisaitl, McJezub, Hall, RNH (some days), Eberle (other days), Klefbom and Nurse.  Talbot is the latest flavor of the month in nets.  No projected #1, a couple of projected 2/3/4's that could become real good. Out of that list you have a projected #1C and LW.  You have a couple of C's that could be #2 or #3.  And a top 6 winger who is lazy most nights.

I would imagine that the fans are still holding onto the fairy tale that Connor will win games on his own.  The reality is that Connor will play with the same reckless abandon, the team will still bleed goals and the guys that could have brought back decent returns will show that they aren't worth much in a trade.  Johansen brought back Seth Jones, which is a good #3 or #2D in the future, but shows the asking price for that elusive D.  Only Hall is close to the value of Johansen (McDavid aside).  Draisaitl is playing some good hockey in his 2nd term in the NHL, but has to show consistency for more than a few dozen games.  RNH is overpaid for what he is now.  Eberle is consistent but has little drive.  Hall is the only one of them worth $6m.  

Hall at $6million is now a steal contract, I remember when they signed Ebs and Nuge to extensions and telling my friends the Oilers would be handcuffed with those deals in the future. They were rage shouting of how great the Oilers would be in 2-3 years, back then they had just landed Yak and Schultz. Fast fwd to now and the team has shown regression year after year. A decade removed from the playoffs and the trade value of everyone except Hall and Collar Mcbroken has dwindled. Good luck signing Draisaitl, Nurse and McDavid along with whatever new shiny top 3 pick they'll get this year

What I find most interesting about the OIlers is this far in they still have enough holes to be a BPA team. Most are going to assume Chychru is the pick for them but outside of Eberle (who IMO they need to trade) who else do they have down the Right side? Plujjarvi or Laine would be as equally good a fit for them as Chychrun would IMO. 

Outside of Auston Matthews, I would say Chychrun would be the most ideal pick for the Oilers. It would give them Sekeras, Klefbom, Nurse, Reinhart, and Chychrun. Immense talent individually.

I think this the year the Oil need to strongly consider moving their pick. How much longer can you keep just drafting high end talent and continue to see your team regress? Oilers fan base are tired of this process, it's obviously not working for them. 25% of their team are 1st round picks already, time to make some classic MacT "bold" moves lol

What I find most interesting about the OIlers is this far in they still have enough holes to be a BPA team. Most are going to assume Chychru is the pick for them but outside of Eberle (who IMO they need to trade) who else do they have down the Right side? Plujjarvi or Laine would be as equally good a fit for them as Chychrun would IMO. 

Well I'm assuming they don't trade Eberle of course.  On RW, they also have this guy named Nail Yakupov who, don't laugh, actually put up decent points on a line with McDavid.  I think they are okay on the RW with those two. 

I think this the year the Oil need to strongly consider moving their pick. How much longer can you keep just drafting high end talent and continue to see your team regress? Oilers fan base are tired of this process, it's obviously not working for them. 25% of their team are 1st round picks already, time to make some classic MacT "bold" moves lol

I think the Oilers should shop RNH.  McDavid and Draisaitl should more than be enough on the top 2 lines.  Lord behold they win the lottery again this year and draft Auston Matthews, then they should shop Draisaitl too.  There should be a lot of interest in Draisaitl.

Well I'm assuming they don't trade Eberle of course.  On RW, they also have this guy named Nail Yakupov who, don't laugh, actually put up decent points on a line with McDavid.  I think they are okay on the RW with those two. 

I think they have to for salary reasons. Can't afford as many big tickets as they have once they pay McDavid/Draisaitl plus i'm also no so sure they can wait much longer for Nurse, Reinhart and Chychrun to develop. but your right Yakupov did look better playing with McDavid but still looked like a long ways away from a top line threat.

Apparantly the Preds did offer Seth Jones to the Oilers but the ask was Draisaitl to start the conversation so Draisatle's value is quite high. They tried RNH for JOnes and Nashville declined so that tells you RNH doesn't have the value of a top line center. I think the Oilers want to move RNH and get that dman but I don't think his value will be there which is also part of the reason i think they need to move Eberle. should get you more in return while clearing the same salary. 

I think the Oilers should shop RNH.  McDavid and Draisaitl should more than be enough on the top 2 lines.  Lord behold they win the lottery again this year and draft Auston Matthews, then they should shop Draisaitl too.  There should be a lot of interest in Draisaitl.

Yak was effective with McDavid and nobody else.  Hmm, is that Yak or McDavid? 

I think they have to for salary reasons. Can't afford as many big tickets as they have once they pay McDavid/Draisaitl plus i'm also no so sure they can wait much longer for Nurse, Reinhart and Chychrun to develop. but your right Yakupov did look better playing with McDavid but still looked like a long ways away from a top line threat.

Apparantly the Preds did offer Seth Jones to the Oilers but the ask was Draisaitl to start the conversation so Draisatle's value is quite high. They tried RNH for JOnes and Nashville declined so that tells you RNH doesn't have the value of a top line center. I think the Oilers want to move RNH and get that dman but I don't think his value will be there which is also part of the reason i think they need to move Eberle. should get you more in return while clearing the same salary.

Yea it appears the ship has sailed on Oilers getting their best value for RNH, Eberle, Yak and Schultz. With a new arena next year ppl will be looking for "new" results as well. Unless they can really overhaul their roster I don't see them even competing for a playoff spot for another few years..which is funny cuz I probably said the same thing a few years back lol

Yea it appears the ship has sailed on Oilers getting their best value for RNH, Eberle, Yak and Schultz. With a new arena next year ppl will be looking for "new" results as well. Unless they can really overhaul their roster I don't see them even competing for a playoff spot for another few years..which is funny cuz I probably said the same thing a few years back lol

RNH & Eberle are far past the prospect stage & their $6 million contracts make them hard for teams to absorb (not to mention they are part of a team that has been in the lottery running for their entire careers). Yak might be worth something as he doesn't carry that sort of contract. Schultz is a supposed offensive defenseman that has never lived up to that billing (unless you count the fact he offends those of us that expect a Dman to actually play some defense) & his 3.9 qualifier as a RFA makes him a negative trade chip as he's not even good for defensive depth to a contender.

So returns will be smaller then Oiler fans hope for & might even need to include retained salary.

Chia has his work cut out for him.

They can always trade Eberle for another RW so Chychrun can still be a logical fit for them.  McDavid and Draisaitl also don't need new contracts next season, so, there's still time before they hit that brick wall.

Assuming McDavid is healthy, Yakupov should enjoy inflated stats next season and would be prime for trading away at that point.

It's interesting about RNH having less value than Draisaitl.  Or maybe RNH just wasn't a right fit for Nashville's game.  Who knows.

Yak was effective with McDavid and nobody else.  Hmm, is that Yak or McDavid? 

Had McDavid been healthy, I'm sure Yakupov would've enjoyed a 30-goal season with maybe 40-assists.  He could've been a perfect trade piece to rip someone off.  Hopefully, no GM out there is that stupid to give the Oilers anything good for him.

They can always trade Eberle for another RW so Chychrun can still be a logical fit for them.  McDavid and Draisaitl also don't need new contracts next season, so, there's still time before they hit that brick wall.

Assuming McDavid is healthy, Yakupov should enjoy inflated stats next season and would be prime for trading away at that point.

It's interesting about RNH having less value than Draisaitl.  Or maybe RNH just wasn't a right fit for Nashville's game.  Who knows.

Had McDavid been healthy, I'm sure Yakupov would've enjoyed a 30-goal season with maybe 40-assists.  He could've been a perfect trade piece to rip someone off.  Hopefully, no GM out there is that stupid to give the Oilers anything good for him.

Nashville would be crazy trading for a #2C over a "potential| #1C. They wanted Draisaitl but instead got a great goal scoring #1C.  Still has some issues but can be worked with on a team like NASH.  

With McDavid, Yak scored all of 2 goals.  That doesn't translate into a 30 goal season. He had like 8 assists, so that could have ended up as 40 apples for a healthy season for the two of them.  So that's more like a 10g, 50 point season.  He's had exactly one season (lockout one) where he was above 0.5 p/gp.  Not exactly looking like a great trade chip. 

Archived