Louis23

Some of these comments are pretty harsh, and uncalled for, I would say.

The Oilers are actually one of the better junior teams out there.

If anything, I feel they are being compared unfairly having them in the "NHL" topic.  I feel that this is an unrealistic expectation to place on these players, based solely on the league they happen to be playing in.  If an admin could kindly move them to the "AHL, ECHL, CHL, NCAA, International Hockey, etc" topic, I think it would be more fair for everyone involved.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, I feel they are being compared unfairly having them in the "NHL" topic.  I feel that this is an unrealistic expectation to place on these players, based solely on the league they happen to be playing in.  If an admin could kindly move them to the "AHL, ECHL, CHL, NCAA, International Hockey, etc" topic, I think it would be more fair for everyone involved.

I have often thought that a setup similar to British Soccer might work better for the NHL.

The part where a couple of consecutive years of bottom feeding or losing in the NHL are then replaced buy the Feeder teams/league.

This would immediately stop any thoughts of failing for high draft picks, if the consequence was losing your spot in the NHL.

It's funny, but watching Eichel play, you see the exact type of player the Oilers are lacking.  They would have been better off trading the 1st OA to Buffalo for 2nd overall and a stud d-man.  Chia would have been chased out of town, but down the road the Oilers would have been a better team.  But EDM always has 1st OA in their eyes and can't see anything else.  McDavid was the golden ticket that would justify the 20% increase in ticket prices.  

Call me crazy.  McDavid may become a generational player in EDM, but that won't change the team.  Pittsburg also has Malkin and offensive D-men.  Chicago has Kane and Toews.  LA has Kopitar, Quick and Doughty.  

:)

I have often thought that a setup similar to British Soccer might work better for the NHL.

The part where a couple of consecutive years of bottom feeding or losing in the NHL are then replaced buy the Feeder teams/league.

This would immediately stop any thoughts of failing for high draft picks, if the consequence was losing your spot in the NHL.

Too bad hockey is a niche sport and not the biggest sport in the planet. :)

Don't they do that in the Swedish Elite League as well?

I must admit that a badly played Flames game against the Oilers has increase the amount of talk about Connor being generational.

You would think he singledhandely dismantled the best defense in the league.  His goal was "pretty" but not spectacular.  His breakaway was interesting to watch his signature move, bust still not score.  Blowing by a stationary d-man not near his usual form is not a big accomplishment.  Scoring 2 goals against a goalie struggling to find his game is nothing major.

I see the makings of a good player experiencing some puck luck.  Bouma scored equally exciting goals last season.  Getting goals against teams struggling defensively does not prove anything.   

Honestly I think the days of the "generational" player are done.  The gap between good and poor players has closed too much for anybody to emerge as generational.  McDavid is good and will be better, and likely will be one of the best in the game.  But the days of a Lemieux, Gretzky, even Crosby or Ovie are IMO done for the time being.

Honestly I think the days of the "generational" player are done.  The gap between good and poor players has closed too much for anybody to emerge as generational.  McDavid is good and will be better, and likely will be one of the best in the game.  But the days of a Lemieux, Gretzky, even Crosby or Ovie are IMO done for the time being.

As long as there are sports reporters and an NHL there will be more and more generational phenoms every year. That is even before they play on minute on NHL ice.

As long as there are sports reporters and an NHL there will be more and more generational phenoms every year. That is even before they play on minute on NHL ice.

Claims of generational player anyways.  The way the sport is now, with all the training, coaching, and frankly money provided to young kids growing up playing the sport, there is so much equality that I can't see anybody (OK maybe Iguchi) that will be so far ahead of his peers that he will actually BE generational.

Aito Iguchi: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/11-year-old-japanese-phenom-is-back-with-more-jaw-dropping-dangles/

He kind of reminds me of Johnny Cocky to be honest lol

Assuming there is an expansion,  that will water down the defense even more already we see there aren't nearly enough top pairing defenseman to go around.  Add that the NHL will be looking for ways to increase goal scoring,  be it calling more penalties (one idea is no leaving your feet to block a shot).  Making the nets just a little wider,  or making goalie equipment smaller.  Or Bringing the off side line back a couple feet to give teams on the pp more room to work with etc... One idea I actually don't mind is making icing still exist on the pk.  Put more pressure on the PK,  and would make pp's last longer.  Anyways I think will see scoring go back up not to what it was but at least have players in the 120-130 point and that will allow players to spread the gap a little as right now there isn't much difference between the player leading the league and the player in 35th place in points etc.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope the Oilers don't beat us like they did last time. I hope it's a closer game

The big contract may put some undue pressure on Klefbom to perform, mark my words once he has a bad game the fans will be all over him. In the course of an 82 game season there will be good and bad days.

yeah I know. I living right now."Hamilton"

I have often thought that a setup similar to British Soccer might work better for the NHL.

come this Saturday the Flames are going to show just how bad the Oilers really are live on hockey night in Canada. McDavid is overrated and I'm getting tired of this McDavid this and McDavid that BS. flames win 7-2 is my guess

come this Saturday the Flames are going to show just how bad the Oilers really are live on hockey night in Canada. McDavid is overrated and I'm getting tired of this McDavid this and McDavid that BS. flames win 7-2 is my guess

I try to ignore the bla bla bla from the ex-TSN people creaming over the kid, but it's really tough to listen to Randorf or Roomanuk go on.  Even harder to listen to the SN homers that almost fall off their chair when McDavid touches the puck.

It will be like this until he goes into a dry spell.  So far he has played teams that allow his abilities to be showcased.  After a few trips to California or to Central Division cities, the fans will know what he really is.  Right now, he is a kid on a hot streak.  Or should I say, his line is on a hot streak, and he is benefiting from passing it to the right guy in the right spot.  

His skill shows when he is given space.  He won't get that much longer.

Nah, the kid's the real deal. We're all a little butthurt they got the pick. They didn't deserve it, and they're going to be a successful team down the road. We can all say that it's marred, or the system is flawed, and that may all be true, but the fact is, the kid is going to be a superstar, and he plays for our rival.

With that said, it is tough hearing about it everyday. Especially with our boys not having much success this year.

Love.

Nah, the kid's the real deal. We're all a little butthurt they got the pick. They didn't deserve it, and they're going to be a successful team down the road. We can all say that it's marred, or the system is flawed, and that may all be true, but the fact is, the kid is going to be a superstar, and he plays for our rival.

With that said, it is tough hearing about it everyday. Especially with our boys not having much success this year.

Love.

Not saying he isn't going to be a good to great player down the road, but let's face it, the opposition so far hasn't been overwhelming (in the games he has points).  Edmonton can have him if they like and try to claim greatness.  That will be all they will ever do, as his outcome does not make them a contender.

Mc David is good no question. The oiler's now have the ability they did back in there glory days of playing run and gun to win games. The games they have won were created by offensive production and marginally better goal tending. When Talbot is hot the win, when not they will lose. EDM is built for the Eastern clubs. I agree with TD, take away time and space or play them with any physical style it they arerage

I hate to say this but I watched the 3rd period of the oilers habs game last night. Please don't tell anyone! But seriously they looked scary. Even their defense wasn't a joke like usually but Taylor Hall and Leon Drisiatle were a crazy offensive threat everytime they were on the ice. I hope we are ready for these kids on Saturday

I hate to say this but I watched the 3rd period of the oilers habs game last night. Please don't tell anyone! But seriously they looked scary. Even their defense wasn't a joke like usually but Taylor Hall and Leon Drisiatle were a crazy offensive threat everytime they were on the ice. I hope we are ready for these kids on Saturday

I watched it too (as I do most Alberta team games), and what I saw is a run and gun offense.  Montreal is a team that likes that style, but did not contain the threats.  They backed off after their 3-0 lead, and tried to defend against a run-and-gun team.  It could have worked had they not tried to catch players and instead took away space.  The Pouliot goal was an example of defending a player behind them already.

I try to ignore the bla bla bla from the ex-TSN people creaming over the kid, but it's really tough to listen to Randorf or Roomanuk go on.  Even harder to listen to the SN homers that almost fall off their chair when McDavid touches the puck.

It will be like this until he goes into a dry spell.  So far he has played teams that allow his abilities to be showcased.  After a few trips to California or to Central Division cities, the fans will know what he really is.  Right now, he is a kid on a hot streak.  Or should I say, his line is on a hot streak, and he is benefiting from passing it to the right guy in the right spot.  

His skill shows when he is given space.  He won't get that much longer.

You just need to start objectively looking at he facts, Mcdavid is just that good of a hockey player. You honestly don't think every team gets jacked up to play this guy and shut him down? 100% they do. He is making it work because of how skilled he is not because teams are making it easy on him.

I get its not in flames fans DNA to give the oilers credit and how they got McDavid is flat out disgracefull but there is no way can objectively watch him and play and say your aren't watching a star being born.

You just need to start objectively looking at he facts, Mcdavid is just that good of a hockey player. You honestly don't think every team gets jacked up to play this guy and shut him down? 100% they do. He is making it work because of how skilled he is not because teams are making it easy on him.

I get its not in flames fans DNA to give the oilers credit and how they got McDavid is flat out disgracefull but there is no way can objectively watch him and play and say your aren't watching a star being born.

What I have seen is a skilled player making hay.  Let's see what the coming months are like before we start using the G word.  It's a long season.

What I have seen is a skilled player making hay.  Let's see what the coming months are like before we start using the G word.  It's a long season.

Well I think after tonight it's a safe bet that he won't be a candidate for the Calder.  Looks like a broken clavicle to me, out 3 months IMO

Well I think after tonight it's a safe bet that he won't be a candidate for the Calder.  Looks like a broken clavicle to me, out 3 months IMO

Never like to see any player go down to injury, no matter who it is. Hopefully the kid is back soon. Does sound like a few months though.

Archived