Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's real.   I believe it.

The Oilers should already be a contender with what they have on their team, but they keep creating their own holes by letting short-term injuries turn into long-term and career injuries.   Not only are their players never healthy, but most of them lost their best development years and many have physical limitations that they never should have.

Sam Bennet is an example of how a shoulder injury with a first-round pick should be treated....as the season-ending surgery that it often deserves to be.  For the Oilers, you might get a shift off.

I doubt Connor McDavid is thinking about this but you can be his parents and agent are.  

He has every right to pull a LIndros if the Oilers don't clean house and most knowledgeable fans would Never think less of him.

Will be interesting.

The Oilers had a 10 percent chance of winning the lottery. A decade of missing the playoffs, terrible drafting and development, and high level of incompetence isn't a plan. Plus Katz is still holding on to his boys club. I think that haunts the Oilers down the road.

They got lucky. Tremendously lucky. And they haven't won anything yet except for the lottery. They still have a team with a Crap culture that is full of holes. They also have a fan base out of patience that is ready to turn sour really quickly I'd things are rough out of the gate.

This is the third time I can remember of people talking about smart moves in Edmonton and this being the turn around. It may be this time. But there are still a lot of problems to be solved.

The Oilers had a 10 percent chance of winning the lottery. A decade of missing the playoffs, terrible drafting and development, and high level of incompetence isn't a plan. Plus Katz is still holding on to his boys club. I think that haunts the Oilers down the road.

They got lucky. Tremendously lucky. And they haven't won anything yet except for the lottery. They still have a team with a Crap culture that is full of holes. They also have a fan base out of patience that is ready to turn sour really quickly I'd things are rough out of the gate.

This is the third time I can remember of people talking about smart moves in Edmonton and this being the turn around. It may be this time. But there are still a lot of problems to be solved.

The real nightmare could be two years from now. If the Oilers do not make the playoffs by 2017 at the latest. That will been unprecedented. Oiler fans were laying out 5 year plans and being in the Cup final in 2015 when Hall was drafted in 2010.The possibility they are still adrift and not close to the playoffs in 2017 with an unprecedented 4 first overall picks one of which is the generational McDavid?  

Question is what do you do then? 

I also TOTALLY agree with you that Katz needs to purge the entire organization of Lowe / Mac and all the rest of the old Oilers management group. If he fails to do this through Nicholson etc that does not bode well.

They have done nothing but create a losing organization that has piled up high picks but drafted nothing of merit in later rounds... How they deserve any credit for McDavid is absurd... 

Next season is a really big one for the Oilers... 

The Oilers are worth more in pieces than as a whole.

Bigger teams would see upside to players like RNH, and other smaller ones.

Teams competent with Russians would see upside to Yakupov (Detroit, Capitals, etc)

If Katz is really committed, and believe it or not, but he might be....

We'll see a liquidation of the core in the offseason.   

And the only way to do that....is with significant buyouts.  I guess we'll see.

The oilers don't need a lot of buyouts as most of the really bad contracts only have one year left. Teddy Purcell, Nikitin or Boyd gordon are all really bad signings/ acquisition but no real sense buying then out with only 1 year left on the deal. Charelli had ference in Boston and thought very highly of him so I can't see him wanting to move him out using a buyout. Benoit Poliot and mark Fayne are the only two real buyout candidates I would look at but with how bad the oilers are in the blueline Fayne at 3.5 isn't that hard to swallow.

Their cap isn't actually in that bad of shape in he next year or two once some or these guys fall off their cap. I think any significant change for the oilers is going to come via trade and involve one of the previously untouchable "core" pieces. I'm not so sure that is required though. Between a new hockey ops group, in all likelihood a new coach, and a new star I think there is more then enough change in Edmonton to trading a core piece just for he sake of change is not required. They may have to move one to get better, specifically on the blueline, but I don't think they need a shake up trade anymore.Not yet at least.

Reading this I totally freaked out! Poor Germany, we have our century talent, our generational player (FOR GERMANY!) and he is stuck in such an organization (He himself called a "first class organization" after being drafted). After that boarding against him with no reaction from his team-mates and being pushed into the NHL 2 Years too early, I am really sure he would like to take that back! The sooner he requests a trade, the better I feel for the German national team.

Reading this I totally freaked out! Poor Germany, we have our century talent, our generational player (FOR GERMANY!) and he is stuck in such an organization (He himself called a "first class organization" after being drafted). After that boarding against him with no reaction from his team-mates and being pushed into the NHL 2 Years too early, I am really sure he would like to take that back! The sooner he requests a trade, the better I feel for the German national team.

I like Draisaitl.    I don't think he's ruined yet.  But he did basically lose a year of development.  There's no other way to put it.  Even in the WHL, he's not really any better this year than last (regular season).

In the playoffs, he's Started to demonstrate some improvement over last year.   So he's back on the improvement curve.

He's too good for the WHL next year.   Will be interesting to see what they do, but my guess is they'll give him a shot with McDavid.

I like Draisaitl.    I don't think he's ruined yet.  But he did basically lose a year of development.  There's no other way to put it.  Even in the WHL, he's not really any better this year than last (regular season).

In the playoffs, he's Started to demonstrate some improvement over last year.   So he's back on the improvement curve.

He's too good for the WHL next year.   Will be interesting to see what they do, but my guess is they'll give him a shot with McDavid.

Smartest ting to do with them next year is keep them both in Junior. They "may" be ready to play but the team isn't ready for them. They need to rid the ranks if the culture that they have developed. Trade away as many players as possible, gut the management (already started), coaching and scouting staff, and turn their training camp into a camp, instead of the place to practice your skills. They have to come into the season in shape or they will fail, yet again.

Want to ruin a good player? Play him in a culture that accepts losing as "Oh well, at least I got paid to play". Hall needs to go, if they hope to have McDavid want to play there. He believes he is the next captain, but he just is a Cookie Monster, to quote Bob Hartley on that type of player. He will not accept being the #2 guy on the team.

There is zero chance McDavid doesn't make the team.

You understand that I said they need to fix the culture first. Katz is all about selling out the stadium, so he will force the GM's hand. I'm just saying they will need to stop doing the same thing over and over and expecting something different. McDavid is likely to be a star, but they need to fix the team to make that happen.

2006: Lose SCF & see all good players want out.

2006-10: Beg players to accept trades to Edmonton to no avail. OS players but only succeed in landing Penner by giving him 10x his salary. Finish last & decide the only way to get good players is via draft.

2010: Draft Hall 1/1. He'll play with Eberle. Playoff bound.

2011: Cancel SC parade. Draft RNH 10. Now they have a center. Future dynasty.

2012: Cancel parade. Draft Yakupov 1/1. Sign future Norris winner J Schultz. Unstoppable.

2013: Postpone parade again. Draft Nurse 7th OA. Drafted later & add other 1/2 of super top D pairing. Definite improvement.

2014: Draft Draisaitl 3rd OA. Messier to RNH's Gretzky. Long SC run.

2015: Win lottery & rights to McDavid. The master plan all along. Hire PC who just got fired after the Bruins miss the playoffs for the 1st time since 2001. Restart Dynasty talk. Remap parade route due to new arena.

Too sad to even :lol: at.

Smartest ting to do with them next year is keep them both in Junior. They "may" be ready to play but the team isn't ready for them. They need to rid the ranks if the culture that they have developed. Trade away as many players as possible, gut the management (already started), coaching and scouting staff, and turn their training camp into a camp, instead of the place to practice your skills. They have to come into the season in shape or they will fail, yet again.

Want to ruin a good player? Play him in a culture that accepts losing as "Oh well, at least I got paid to play". Hall needs to go, if they hope to have McDavid want to play there. He believes he is the next captain, but he just is a Cookie Monster, to quote Bob Hartley on that type of player. He will not accept being the #2 guy on the team.

Totally agree but if they hire either McLellan or Babcock, they may be the right coach to wip them to shape up or be shipped out. These coaches may be more untouchable then they are with McDavid and Draisaitl waiting for their chance in the wings. Hall or Eberle might be worth a 1st overall? My guess would be 2nd overall.

Totally agree but if they hire either McLellan or Babcock, they may be the right coach to wip them to shape up or be shipped out. These coaches may be more untouchable then they are with McDavid and Draisaitl waiting for their chance in the wings. Hall or Eberle might be worth a 1st overall? My guess would be 2nd overall.

I don't know, I wouldn't give up a mid round pick for them. Bottom 10 at best.

The Oilers are like the dirty slob who never worked a day in his life winning the lottery. Even of he holds on to his money he still didn't earn it.

You make zero sense. The draft lottery is made for crappy teams to improve and you're slagging off that we're full of suck and in the same sentence saying the Oilers winning the lottery so they can improve is crappy too. Make your mind up instead of being a bell end.

You make zero sense. The draft lottery is made for crappy teams to improve and you're slagging off that we're full of suck and in the same sentence saying the Oilers winning the lottery so they can improve is crappy too. Make your mind up instead of being a bell end.

It's less that they were crappy and more that they were deliberately crappy, and still crappy after having 3 1/1 picks in 5 years.

And they'll still be crappy with McDavid, because their deficiencies aren't addressed by McDavid

You won 4 draft lotteries in 6 seasons and have been utterly incompetent outside of that. If you have even a marginal degree of success it's on the back of pure luck. Nobody in the NHL will ever respect the Oilers in the foreseeable future.

Not sure why everyone is hating on the Oilers for winning the lottery.  Someone has to win the lottery, they were right there, and they won.  What else did we want them to do?

And if they win the Cup as a result of winning this lottery, then it's proof that rebuilding around a lottery pick works.  I'd rather miss the playoffs for 10 years straight and then eventually win a Cup from it than to make the playoffs for 10 years and never win the Cup once during that time.

Not sure why everyone is hating on the Oilers for winning the lottery.  Someone has to win the lottery, they were right there, and they won.  What else did we want them to do?

And if they win the Cup as a result of winning this lottery, then it's proof that rebuilding around a lottery pick works.  I'd rather miss the playoffs for 10 years straight and then eventually win a Cup from it than to make the playoffs for 10 years and never win the Cup once during that time.

I'd rather have 10 years of competing for the cup (10 years of enjoyable hockey) than 9 years of elbowing hockey and one year of winning the cup. Plus, it's been demonstrated that rebuilding around a lottery pick isn't a guarantee. The Oilers have had 4 of them already.

Not sure why everyone is hating on the Oilers for winning the lottery. Someone has to win the lottery, they were right there, and they won. What else did we want them to do?

And if they win the Cup as a result of winning this lottery, then it's proof that rebuilding around a lottery pick works. I'd rather miss the playoffs for 10 years straight and then eventually win a Cup from it than to make the playoffs for 10 years and never win the Cup once during that time.

They won 3 lotteries in the previous 5 drafts. They had a 10 percent chance of winning this one. Yet they won it.

Despite your loaded agenda of lose to win, any success that they have absolutely does not prove that building around the lottery works. They are the prime example of why it doesn't work. Losing for 9 seasons, Jerseys on the ice, requiring 4 lottery wins, etc. That isn't a plan and it isn't success. If they win (and they probably wont) it's dumb luck.

I'd rather have 10 years of competing for the cup (10 years of enjoyable hockey) than 9 years of elbowing hockey and one year of winning the cup. Plus, it's been demonstrated that rebuilding around a lottery pick isn't a guarantee. The Oilers have had 4 of them already.

There are no gaurantees either way.  Winning the Cup ultimately justifies all your transactions and the journey taken.  If you'd rather never win the Cup, then good for you.

They won 3 lotteries in the previous 5 drafts. They had a 10 percent chance of winning this one. Yet they won it.

Despite your loaded agenda of lose to win, any success that they have absolutely does not prove that building around the lottery works. They are the prime example of why it doesn't work. Losing for 9 seasons, Jerseys on the ice, requiring 4 lottery wins, etc. That isn't a plan and it isn't success. If they win (and they probably wont) it's dumb luck.

They won 3 lotteries so that means they were not the worst team in the league for those 3 seasons.  Isn't that a good thing for the league the team that tanks the most doesn't get the 1st pick but rather, another team does?

I'm not trying to be an Oilers supporter or anything but again, it comes down to winning the Cup.  If they win the Cup as a result of these lotteries, then it was all worth it.  It doesn't prove a gaurantee but it does proves viability.  Or at the very least, it proves that winning a lottery is not an inhibitor to winning a Cup.

The NHL used to give the best team in the league the first pick thinking that hard work should be rewarded. Made sense, but that lead to dynasties and teams that went nowhere for years. Then they changed it to be that the worst team gets the first pick. That resulted in deliberate tanking (Toronto and Buffalo should be ashamed. At least the Oilers have sucked for months/years). Now they have a hybrid system. None of these solutions has worked because the league has simply not thought this through. They should make the draft lottery entirely random. That will make it fair in the long run and eliminate tanking. As well, they already redistribute talent with the salary cap.

I don't blame the Oilers for doing so well in the draft, I blame the way the draft operates. I will be disappointed if they ruin McDavid. 

I think Taylor Hall is the cancer on that team.

There are no gaurantees either way.  Winning the Cup ultimately justifies all your transactions and the journey taken.  If you'd rather never win the Cup, then good for you.

No, actually.

Ten years of having great hockey to watch, even without a cup victory, is far better than 9 years of terrible hockey to watch and a cup victory.

The cup victory is icing on the cake. I had a great time this year watching the Flames, and while I'd love for them to win the cup, I won't regret this year if we don't.

I'd rather have cake with no icing than icing with no cake.

Archived