Louis23

The Oilers trade Jeff Petry and in the process, show why they continue to get stuck in rebuild mode.  In a year's time when they are trying to make the playoffs, who will be more important?  Jeff Petry?  Or the second rounder?  The Oilers already struggle to produce NHLers past the first round.  They really needed to get Petry signed long term instead of trading him.

The main reason why the Flames enjoy their succes today is because they didn't trade Glencross and Giordano the same year they traded Iginla and Bouwmeester.  It was not a full on tear down and they kept some veterans around.  Why the Oilers continue to full on tear down is mind blogging.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers trade Jeff Petry and in the process, show why they continue to get stuck in rebuild mode.  In a year's time when they are trying to make the playoffs, who will be more important?  Jeff Petry?  Or the second rounder?  The Oilers already struggle to produce NHLers past the first round.  They really needed to get Petry signed long term instead of trading him.

The main reason why the Flames enjoy their succes today is because they didn't trade Glencross and Giordano the same year they traded Iginla and Bouwmeester.  It was not a full on tear down and they kept some veterans around.  Why the Oilers continue to full on tear down is mind blogging.

They are attempting to recreate the Great Oilers team of the past. This year is the Gretzky opportunity.. with their tanking for Connor McDavid pick..

I'm not one to defend the Oilers to great lengths but I'm not so sure how eager I would have been to lock up Jeff Petry long term. He has had a lot of consistency issues to warrant throwing term at IMO so getting what they could was probably the right move.

I'm not one to defend the Oilers to great lengths but I'm not so sure how eager I would have been to lock up Jeff Petry long term. He has had a lot of consistency issues to warrant throwing term at IMO so getting what they could was probably the right move.

MacT decided that "Future Norris" Jultz was the future, and did not want the less sexy Petry. How is that not a fail? Petry was better than Smid, Ference, and Feine.

MacT decided that "Future Norris" Jultz was the future, and did not want the less sexy Petry. How is that not a fail? Petry was better than Smid, Ference, and Feine.

Not that simple. Petry was rumored to want a deal that would pay him as a legit top 4 Dman and he wanted term. Just like the oilers if be reluctant to offer him that too as he has yet to prove he is a top 4 Dman.

Not that simple. Petry was rumored to want a deal that would pay him as a legit top 4 Dman and he wanted term. Just like the oilers if be reluctant to offer him that too as he has yet to prove he is a top 4 Dman.

I could see him as a 4/5 Dman, assuming he got some conditioning and practices with a team not called the Oilers (perhaps the OKC, or even the Oil Kings). I'm still positive that he was the best Dman on that team since Smid got traded.

He accepted a one-year deal. He could have been offered a two-year deal.

He accepted a one-year deal. He could have been offered a two-year deal.

They wanted him to prove himself and I would argue he didn't. Petry is a 4/5 Dman that was heading to free agency and likely to be overpaid. Edmonton is in no position to overpaying 4/5 Dman that is my point. If they are going to pay a top 4 salary they better get a legit top 4 Dman and that is not Petry IMO.

They wanted him to prove himself and I would argue he didn't. Petry is a 4/5 Dman that was heading to free agency and likely to be overpaid. Edmonton is in no position to overpaying 4/5 Dman that is my point. If they are going to pay a top 4 salary they better get a legit top 4 Dman and that is not Petry IMO.

On a good team Petry is a 3-5. On the Oilers he was the closest thing they had to a defenseman.

Future Norris candidate J Schultz is a forward dressed as a D.

Gonna be tough for that train wreck that only values offence to attract D.

So, they overpaid for Nikitin ($4.5m), Fayne ($4m), and Pouliot ($4m). And you think he didn't deserve more a) recognition, B) money and term than those guys? If you are in tankmode, it makes sense to get rid of a guy that defends well. As TMac quoted, great asset management!

If i'm not mistaken, Jeff Petry is the only NHL regular the Oiler's draft system has produced beyond the first round since he was drafted in 2006. My goodness, 2006! What are the Oilers going to do with a second round pick this year that's different from the last 8/9 years?  Their developmental system has produced so few NHL players, why even trade for draft picks?  Why even draft?

If someone offers them a player like Jeff Petry for their second round pick, then they should take it.

Exactly. A combination of falling in love with potential, failing to properly develop players and poor team structure.

If i'm not mistaken, Jeff Petry is the only NHL regular the Oiler's draft system has produced beyond the first round since he was drafted in 2006. My goodness, 2006! What are the Oilers going to do with a second round pick this year that's different from the last 8/9 years?  Their developmental system has produced so few NHL players, why even trade for draft picks?  Why even draft?

If someone offers them a player like Jeff Petry for their second round pick, then they should take it.

This has been mentioned on their boards but they won't hear of this criticism.  

Bronco for example will say they had no developmental system in place ... Does not address the poor drafting but still.. they are in full excuse mode when you talk about this.

On a good team Petry is a 3-5. On the Oilers he was the closest thing they had to a defenseman.

Future Norris candidate J Schultz is a forward dressed as a D.

Gonna be tough for that train wreck that only values offence to attract D.

Hey I don't disagree the oilers blueline sucks but IMO that is the reason people tend to overrate Petry. He was an avg dman playing on a crappy team and it upped his stock, so that's why IMO the oilers put the correct value on him rather then overpay another dman that's all I'm saying and I'm certainly not calling mact a good Gm or anything. I don't think it's smart business to sign any player for a contract they aren't worth just because you drafted them or because he is the best of a pretty bad bunch. Keep in mind with the oilers too that I would actually argue that Klefboom is one of their better dman and was giving Petry a run for his money.

The debate of why bother acquiring draft picks is a good one because I completely agree the oilers are terrible at drafting and developing talent. It's their biggest problem as a franchise imo and why they need to rebuild yet again.

On a side note, I have always wondered......  You would think that KLowe of all people would be able to appreciate the need for a good defence and able to evaluate a decent Defenceman.

He has been around long enough to know or at least hear the ages old expression you build a hockey team from the goal position out.

But what the heck do I know.... and He is the one who "knows all" about winning.....

On a side note, I have always wondered......  You would think that KLowe of all people would be able to appreciate the need for a good defence and able to evaluate a decent Defenceman.

He has been around long enough to know or at least hear the ages old expression you build a hockey team from the goal position out.

But what the heck do I know.... and He is the one who "knows all" about winning.....

He was a passenger in the run & gun era where even McSorley was getting points @ about a 1 in 3 rate thanks to Gretzky.

KLowe seems to think if he can recreate that team 4  decades (& counting) later he can again bask in reflected glory.

As coach, GM & PoHO since 1999: 1 & done 3 times & the miracle run of 2006. Since then 1 of the 1st to the podium every year.

Hey I don't disagree the oilers blueline sucks but IMO that is the reason people tend to overrate Petry. He was an avg dman playing on a crappy team and it upped his stock, so that's why IMO the oilers put the correct value on him rather then overpay another dman that's all I'm saying and I'm certainly not calling mact a good Gm or anything. I don't think it's smart business to sign any player for a contract they aren't worth just because you drafted them or because he is the best of a pretty bad bunch. Keep in mind with the oilers too that I would actually argue that Klefboom is one of their better dman and was giving Petry a run for his money.

The debate of why bother acquiring draft picks is a good one because I completely agree the oilers are terrible at drafting and developing talent. It's their biggest problem as a franchise imo and why they need to rebuild yet again.

Think about it though. They traded away one of their better defensemen for a pick. They need to have at least a good defenseman next season, so they have to trade something or overpay in FA. Think somewhere north of $5m. And that is assuming there is anyone better than Nikitin available.

Next season they have Jultz, Feyne, Nikitin, Marincin, Klefbom, Ference. None of them is close to a top-pair d-man. Nor do any of them have much offensive flair. They have basically an AHL back end with a few NHL players sprinkled in. They have a lot of work to do to become an NHL team next year.

They need a house cleaning/rebuild, this one from the top down.

The Oilers are doomed until they rid themselves of Lowe, MacTavish & Howson.

The amateur and professional scouting departments are dismal as well.

I wouldn't trust any of them to make a trade, choose a draft pick, or develop a prospect.

Whomever takes over must be smart enough to build from the goal out:

One above average goalie, two Top 2 defense-men, and a 1st & 2nd line Center.

That's 5 crucial building blocks that every team needs to be successful, they currently have only one in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

I feel that he is currently a 2nd line C, who still has 1st line potential.

I'd trade Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, & Schultz; their combined return might fill 2 of the remaining 4 crucial building blocks.

I'd attempt to get the goalie and one of the defense-men.

Of all the positions, wingers are the easiest to draft, trade, or sign as UFAs.

It would still leave some holes but this team can't get much worse.

Edit = bolding "might".

They need a house cleaning/rebuild, this one from the top down.

The Oilers are doomed until they rid themselves of Lowe, MacTavish & Howson.

The amateur and professional scouting departments are dismal as well.

I wouldn't trust any of them to make a trade, choose a draft pick, or develop a prospect.

Whomever takes over must be smart enough to build from the goal out:

One above average goalie, two Top 2 defense-men, and a 1st & 2nd line Center.

That's 5 crucial building blocks that every team needs to be successful, they currently have only one in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

I feel that he is currently a 2nd line C, who still has 1st line potential.

I'd trade Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, & Schultz; their combined return might fill 2 of the remaining 4 crucial building blocks.

I'd attempt to get the goalie and one of the defense-men.

Of all the positions, wingers are the easiest to draft, trade, or sign as UFAs.

It would still leave some holes but this team can't get much worse.

@ $6 million long term Hall might be worth it. Eberle isn't. Wingers are pieces you add if you have a strong team but you don't deplete that strong team for them.

Yak & J Schultz are salvage projects. If they get a 2nd they should :) .

Trading any of them would be admitting a mistake in the pick or 2nd contract on Hall & Eberle. If the KLowe/MacT egos are cut loose (not given fancy titles & pretending they aren't involved) it could happen.

Pick mistake on Yak but RFAs viewed as salvage aren't in that much demand.

Archived