Louis23

Brodie vs Schultz and Hudler vs Yakupov is no contest in favour of the Flames. There shouldn't be any debate about those ones. The other three you can debate, but the fact that it is this close is just a reflection of how much the Flames have improved and how far the Oilers have regressed in a short period of time.

I agree with People that depth is the difference in current success. The Oiler's have failed to draft, sign, or trade for the peripheral pieces needed on a successful team. But my comments are more related to establishing a core to build around vs current success.

In that case, the Flames core hasn't even presented itself yet because they will surely include Poirier and Bennett.  Hudler isn't a core guy and may not be around when the Flames finally contend for the Cup again so therefore, isn't a guy we are rebuilding around. He's a supplemental piece only.

Anyways, I guess at the end of the day what I'm saying is, if the Flames had Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, and Yakupov, and then support those guys with Hudler, Glencross, Stajan, Colborne, Jooris, Granlund, Bouma, Russell, Wideman, and Hiller/Ramo, then that's still a team better than the current Oilers.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you just match up the current points standings the match ups are:

RNH - Gio
Eberle - Hudler
Hall - Brodie
Perron - Gadreau
Purcell - Glencross
Schultz - Monahan

I did top 6 because GlennX and Mony are tied for 5th.

fa249ea98424a0c4fbd34bee7bcb0e33.png5aa578fab57b1c6f5383057a21b6d6d5.png

What is interesting is none of their top 6 would break into our top 6 for points and none of them are on the plus side of the +/-

Oilers could be positioned to woo Mike Babcock if he doesn't re-sign with Red Wings [14-12-18] - edmontonsun.com

EDMONTON - Next year’s head coach of the Edmonton Oilers will be the eighth in eight years.

Craig MacTavish. Pat Quinn. Tom Renney. Ralph Krueger. Dallas Eakins. Craig MacTavish. Todd Nelson. Mike Babcock.

OK. Maybe not that last one..................

:lol:  "Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man" - Friedrich Nietzsche

:rolleyes:  "Da plane. Da plane." - Tattoo

Sorry. I just can't see it happening.

:lol:  "Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man" - Friedrich Nietzsche

:rolleyes:  "Da plane. Da plane." - Tattoo

Sorry. I just can't see it happening.

Even thought it's rumored that Babcock is trying to really up the salary for coaches and the oilers have deep pockets I can't see it either. There is so much work to be done in Edmonton that unless it meant a bunch more money I don't see him leaving Detroit, where he's already been offered to be the highest paid coach, to take on that project. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the oilers had to go with Nelson because I could see a lot of good and veteran coaches passing in that job. Of course if they do eventually clean house on the management slide that would change things but I think if Lowe and Mactavish stay there are going to have a hard tine attracting a coach.

Babcock could see Edmonton as his ultimate challenge. But Toronto is probably a better option for that. Sounds like he is just going to stick in Detroit though.

If you are the coach who brings the leafs to a cup or win one you'll be on a pedestal the rest of your life. In Edmonton you would just be another coach IMO so I agree if he wants a challenge Toronto is his better bet.

I think for a few reasons coaches are going to over look Edmonton:

1) your always in a short leash because they fire coaches like crazy. So how a can you trust they will let you do things your way?

2) they hang their coaches to dry. Give then terrible rosters, draft poorly and don't fill the holes yet the management seen to expect a contending team.

3) how they handled Ralph Kruger.

4) because they've drafted poorly there really isn't a lot of help on the horizon, especially in key areas. Even if they got Mcdavid.

5) the main task of any new coach is having to take spoiled, rich, young "stars" and re teach them the game. You literally have to go back to basics with your core players and how much fun is th at going to be given these guys are paid like stars so if they don't agre with you who do you thjnk the organization is going to side with?

Again, if the oilers were to transfer the power to Nicholson and let him bring in his own team then I think this will change. But currently I don't see any half decent coaching wanting to work for the current management team. Even someone like Todd McClellan I think could get a better job.

Hard to even make fun of them anymore (but I'll try).

Well I have said for a few years now going back in the early connor days "show me" because potential is not worth squat until you do something with it.....

So all I can say now is, the Oilers are in their own little world and doing their own thing, with their back yard

d4415c4fc0b0cf48f8185cec5779606e.png

Word is from Spector that Draisaitl will get returned to the WHL as early as Friday. Good thing. He needs to regain some confidence. Leave him in the minors until he (and the team) are ready.

Go Flames Go. Destroy the little bunch of whiners. Start them on their next losing streak.

He should never have been kept up. But it's the right call to send him down.

Archived