Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew Ference was very vocal after their loss to the Coyotes last game saying, “It shouldn’t be much of a chore to come here and pay attention to what you’re supposed to do and work hard and have pride in being in the NHL and putting on a jersey. That should be the easy part. To come here and have to eke pride out of guys to get out there and pay attention and do details … it’s not right. … It’s 100% unacceptable.”

The last time an Oilers defensemen was critical of his own team he was traded... to the Flames.  Stay tuned...

Andrew Ference was very vocal after their loss to the Coyotes last game saying, “It shouldn’t be much of a chore to come here and pay attention to what you’re supposed to do and work hard and have pride in being in the NHL and putting on a jersey. That should be the easy part. To come here and have to eke pride out of guys to get out there and pay attention and do details … it’s not right. … It’s 100% unacceptable.”

The last time an Oilers defensemen was critical of his own team he was traded... to the Flames.  Stay tuned...

At least it would open it up for Hall to finally get the 'C' on his chest

McDavid could be that number 1C they need though.  That would give them McD, Nuge, Draisaitl at centre plus some of the others in their system (Yakimov, Arcobello) which could fill in either 3 or 4C.  The key to this is that they now have greater flexibility to make trades.  With so many high offense guys, they could afford to trade an Eberle or Yakipov for other positional needs.  Or they could trade a guy like Draisaitl whose value won't have diminished that much simply because no other team would have him in the line up at this point in his career.  That could give you your chance to pick up a good D prospect.  It won't fix everything overnight, but it could actually help more than your typical first overall.

We are talking about the Oilers. Depth is no their strength. Once you get past the so-called stars, it gets very thin there. They have Hall (good to great offense, little defense), Nuge (good shot, one-way player), Eberle (very little NHL drive left), and Yak (go offense, little D - slumping this year). Perron is a good player but he criticized the team a week ago, so he will be traded like Ference.

Last year, these "gems" had really bad +/- stats, and they were the ones scoring. Beyond these guys, who could they use with McDavid to have an effective team?

The Oilers are everything we aren't. They have big stars (supposedly), they play undisciplined and unstructured, and can't win. Flames don't have huge names, play structured and disciplined and win!

In the midst of enjoying the Edmonton losing streak presently at 10 games, we have to all start worrying. Not that they will make a big trade, fire the coach, GM McTavish and most of all the common denominator Kevin Lowe, then start a winning streak. No we have to worry they stand pat. The Oilers are already bottom of the entire league. If they keep the status quo they could get first pick overall again.

This time they won't get a star in waiting like Hall, Nuge, or Yak. Oh no. This time it appears they will get a generational player in Connor McDavid.

I thought we were through with these bumblers getting first pick most years? They have already ruined Yak, in the process of ruining Nuge and let Hall wander around like he is the team's rover.

Personally I am hoping for the Oilers now. I don't want them to wreck another kid. Or worse yet, find one that turns into a Sydney Crosby and pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

One thing for certain, every Oilers pick ends up on one of the top two lines without any AHL play. As per the Oilers' motto: Everything given... nothing earned.

I don't want them to suck, and not for the thought of them getting McDavid or Eichal. I want them to be a competitive team again so that the Battle of Alberta rivalry will actually mean something. Right now our biggest rival is really Vancouver. And while we all dislike the 'Nucks, it just isn't the same as the Oilers rivalry. Years of meeting in the playoffs, having run and gun shows between their greats and ours. Something about it is just special. Except now, because despite being conference rivals. Despite being division rivals. They are at this point nothing but 2 points, and losing a game to a division rival can be the difference between making the playoffs as 7th seed and not making it (in the often close race that is the western conference) while they sneak in as 8th seed just isn't there. Why? Because even if we lose to them, they can't seem to hold it together long enough to actually make a drive for the playoffs, and even as a spoiler team once they are eliminated they aren't really driven.

Sure. After watching their 'yotes match-up last night and Chicago's 7-1 thumping, I find one thing clear. This team is as lazy as the day is long. Tons of drifting, tons of flippant play. They look horrendous and no one seems to know what to do.

2 shorties in 40 seconds v Arizona, I believe it was 3 goals in 41/2 minutes, the coach doesn't call a timeout, doesn't do anything. Just continues to look on, numbly stoic.

The team has zero leadership. Hall gets free passes while he plays like everything is everyone else's fault. The 1st shortie was his flippant, non-chalant play at the blueline. One of his 3rd period penalties was just lazy. Pucks in the air, head high, the Arizona player still has to glove it down in front of the Oilers net to have a scoring chance. What does Hall do, with the lots of time he had to clear the guy out with his body? He crosschecks him.

As a coach, how do you not lose it on 1/2 your team for continually taking the half-arsed effort route?

Connor MacDavid will not change that. I mean let's face it, Hall was a stellar jr. It amounts to a hill of beans when accountability is hard to come by. Blame the Russian for not playing D last year, wow, don't draft him.

Right from Katz' decisions all the way down, from the old boys club to the new boys club, it's hard to watch.

MacT was a pretty lousy coach that thinks you can sit back and enjoy leads in the 3rd. Anyone remember that ridiculousness? Some of Vancouver's biggest laughs. "it's okay boys, I know we're down 4-1, they'll lay down in the 3rd".

As a GM, he's proving to be stuck in the '80's, like the rest of the org.

MacDavid is not capable of changing a culture.

Ference back in Calgary?  No thanks

The Oilers are everything we aren't. They have big stars (supposedly), they play undisciplined and unstructured, and can't win. Flames don't have huge names, play structured and disciplined and win!

In the midst of enjoying the Edmonton losing streak presently at 10 games, we have to all start worrying. Not that they will make a big trade, fire the coach, GM McTavish and most of all the common denominator Kevin Lowe, then start a winning streak. No we have to worry they stand pat. The Oilers are already bottom of the entire league. If they keep the status quo they could get first pick overall again.

This time they won't get a star in waiting like Hall, Nuge, or Yak. Oh no. This time it appears they will get a generational player in Connor McDavid.

I thought we were through with these bumblers getting first pick most years? They have already ruined Yak, in the process of ruining Nuge and let Hall wander around like he is the team's rover.

Personally I am hoping for the Oilers now. I don't want them to wreck another kid. Or worse yet, find one that turns into a Sydney Crosby and pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

One thing for certain, every Oilers pick ends up on one of the top two lines without any AHL play. As per the Oilers' motto: Everything given... nothing earned.

I'd like them to suck so bad they can't ever make the playoffs but i don't want them to suck enough to get a high draft pick.

The Flames don't lose two in a row. The Oiler's just lost 10. That speaks to character.

They absolutely have to make significant change. Even if they get worse on paper. It is addition by subtraction at this point. Get rid of the worst characters even if you have to give them away.

We just watched Jooris score a hatrick and a team rally around him. They have Draisaitl getting absolutely obliterated. Bouma has more points then him for crying out loud.

They are ruining their high picks with the culture in that team.

I can't bear the thought of this ongoing farce being rewarded with a generational player. There desperately needs to be a rule on the number of first overall picks an organization can have in a decade <_<

I would actually be embarrassed to get McDavid if I were the Oilers. And success they have after that is tainted.

I don't understand how a team like the Oilers can have such a huge fan base after years of tanking, If it was any other team they may have moved by now. I have friends that literally post McDavid's statistics on FB captioned: "we are winning!" and are genuinely excited to be in last place..that's just wrong.

The NHL needs to do something to discourage losing culture. 

When Lindros said he wasn’t going to Quebec, everyone knew he was an arrogant A hole.  When McDavid or Eichel refuse to report to EDM, everyone will support and understand their decision.  The Oiler organization is KLowes mess and the draft system is flawed.

I would actually be embarrassed to get McDavid if I were the Oilers. And success they have after that is tainted.

Can you imagine 

How about they get the 30th and 29th ranked team at the end of the season play a whinner take all for the 1st overall draft pick? It would be an embarrasment playing in this game every efin year.

Can you imagine the complete lack of motivation of the players playing in that game?

Play hard so you can have an even better guy come into camp and take your job and your livelihood away from you. Well... that's how the bottom 9 guys would feel about it anyway..

Can you imagine 

Can you imagine the complete lack of motivation of the players playing in that game?

Play hard so you can have an even better guy come into camp and take your job and your livelihood away from you. Well... that's how the bottom 9 guys would feel about it anyway..

In that case... Why not have the coaches and general manager play the game? They can have it as part of the draft festivities too, right before the 1st overall draftpick is anounced. There would be some high drama there don't you think?

Can you imagine 

Let's reverse incentives. Loser gets first draft :)

Archived