Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MacT had 1 day to spare before the NMC kicked in.

Yeah, that was a smart move by MacT, you know, to counter the absolutely boneheaded move of giving Gagner the NMC in the first place...

There's tweets out there that the Bolts may buy out Gagner's contract.  I'll take that with a grain of salt until a solid source pops up.

Edit:  By the way FF, there's a poster on the OMB calling you out by name in the Gagner/Purcell trade thread.  Might want to check it out. ;)

Yeah, that was a smart move by MacT, you know, to counter the absolutely boneheaded move of giving Gagner the NMC in the first place...

There's tweets out there that the Bolts may buy out Gagner's contract.  I'll take that with a grain of salt until a solid source pops up.

Edit:  By the way FF, there's a poster on the OMB calling you out by name in the Gagner/Purcell trade thread.  Might want to check it out. ;)

Yeah I saw that too.

I got a bunch them riled up a bit earlier when I told them they had poor prospect development....  Careful where you step, on Oilers forums..... Guess we can add Gagner to that list.

So I remember reading something about NTC being dissolved when  they traded or something. Does Gags lose his NTC now that he was traded twice??

It was all set to take effect in a day or two wasn't it??  Anyone clarify this??

I thought it was @ the option of the team trading for the player.

Carter & Richards both had NTCs set to kick in July 1 when both were traded June 23 & neither had it take effect.

I just checked & capgeek still shows Gagner having 1.

Thanks for the heads up guys. It must be 1 of the ill informed children chirping. Could be fun. :)

I thought it was @ the option of the team trading for the player.

Carter & Richards both had NTCs set to kick in July 1 when both were traded June 23 & neither had it take effect.

Thanks for the heads up guys. It must be 1 of the ill informed children chirping. Could be fun. :)

Well there was some discussion awhile back about Cammy and his NTC coming over to here when we picked him up. I believe I read something about the rules for them changing with this last lockout and subsequent agreement.

It was 1 of their numerous kiddie corps posters. Out of respect for Bronco I wasn't harsh but merely pointed out the reality of the trade & the followup.

Man, their lineup is full of teenagers & their base of posters seems even younger.

Good move to dump Gagner who never met expectations and was never going to.  With the addition of Draisaitl who will likely play on the Oilers next season as the second line C, there's no where for Gagner to play Center.  He either has to move permanently to the RW or get out of town.  The Oilers needed to get bigger and they just traded one of their smaller and softer forwards for a big forward in Purcell.  It's the right decision.

I don't think it's a playoff team in Edmonton yet but I don't think they will be last place again.  It all falls on RNH's shoulders now.  He HAS to make the jump and be a dominant force.

I never understood the grief Gagner got.

He's 24 yrs old.

Anyone can learn D.  Not anyone can learn offensive skill.  He'll be a great acquisition for the Yotes.  I'm expecting 60 pts. (that would make him a top end offensive player in today's league).

I never understood the grief Gagner got.

He's 24 yrs old.

Anyone can learn D.  Not anyone can learn offensive skill.  He'll be a great acquisition for the Yotes.  I'm expecting 60 pts. (that would make him a top end offensive player in today's league).

I always felt sorry for Gagner. In a season with no chance to win he & fellow kids Nilsson & Cogliano were thrown to the wolves & did surprisingly well.

He got 0 developement & was expected to be a star. (We still see them doing that with 1st round forwards).

Funny to read that @ 24 he had 7 years under his belt & was the longest serving Oiler at the time he was dealt.

All the shiny new picks distracted most of the crowd enough that they saw only the downside & that 4.8 made it worse (ignoring the unearned 6.0 x 6 contracts to the new kids) because it made him almost impossible to trade.

He'll get a new start with the 'Yotes where his hit is 3.2 & he has little media/fan pressure. Cogliano regained some of what he could be after being traded so maybe Sam can recover too.

So I remember reading something about NTC being dissolved when  they traded or something. Does Gags lose his NTC now that he was traded twice??

It was all set to take effect in a day or two wasn't it??  Anyone clarify this??

Gagner's NTC was set to kick in on July 1st...

From:   http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/oilers-pick-up-teddy-purcell-sam-gagner-lands-in-arizona-1.2691553

"Trading Gagner, who has two years left on his contract at a cap hit of $4.8 million, now was important to Edmonton because his no-trade clause was set to kick in July 1. Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said he got a call from Oilers counterpart Craig MacTavish early Sunday, but by the time he called back to discuss Gagner there was already a verbal agreement with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman on a trade to Tampa Bay."

It looks like capgeek has now fixed that oversight...

d5a57eec776be3cf710c1b0a269b6d82.png

I agree of Gagner, he takes way too much flack and I think a change of scenario could be huge for him. I don't to Gagner ever got put in a very good situation in Edmonton but I also think getting Purcell is a nice piece for Edmonton but I agree with DL that I could easily see Gagner getting upwards around 60 pts next year.

I always felt sorry for Gagner. In a season with no chance to win he & fellow kids Nilsson & Cogliano were thrown to the wolves & did surprisingly well.

He got 0 developement & was expected to be a star. (We still see them doing that with 1st round forwards).

Funny to read that @ 24 he had 7 years under his belt & was the longest serving Oiler at the time he was dealt.

All the shiny new picks distracted most of the crowd enough that they saw only the downside & that 4.8 made it worse (ignoring the unearned 6.0 x 6 contracts to the new kids) because it made him almost impossible to trade.

He'll get a new start with the 'Yotes where his hit is 3.2 & he has little media/fan pressure. Cogliano regained some of what he could be after being traded so maybe Sam can recover too.

Paying for potential hopefully stays in the holding cells of Edmonton. Gagner's gotta be pretty happy to escape the quagmire of dissent that he wasn't responsible for.

Good comment on Cogliano, traded and entrenched his value on one of the top teams, always liked him as a player. He was a scoring chance machine in Edmonton affected by that big black cloud of karma that hovers over KLown. When you think of bottom 6 value to the top teams, he's in the conversation, good thing Edmonton didn't need one.

He became the 20th player in history to play 500 consecutive games from inception and his gloves are in the HHOF for scoring the OT winner in 3 consecutive games.

Anaheim got him for a 2013 2nd, aka Marc-Olivier Roy....I have no idea how KLown assesses talent. It seems he doesn't, he just butt's heads with it.

I often said on the Oilers board that Gagner got way more criticism than he deserved.  Yes he was very bad defensively but as DL44 said defense can be learned... IF it is taught.  Now, whos fault was it?  The reason I ask is because he is by far not the only person on the club that seems (seemed) to have little desire to play hard in his own end.  He was young, quite talented, and has a ton of heart.  With the right coaching and leadership I think he could have far exceeded what we saw from him in Edmonton. 

As far as Pouliot and Fayne... man it's Edmonton.  we are not LA or Chicago, we have to pay to get people to play there.  smaller markets and undesirable locations will always have to pay more when there is RFA and UFA status and a CBA that allows the NTC and NMC and a "list" of where a player will accept trades to. 

Also, like FF said, the team is far too young with very little skilled veteran leadership.  The learning curve is going to be steep.  I do think though that they will turn the corner this season and start climbing the ladder.

Thank you MacT! First you pass on Sam Bennett, which worked out perfect for us, and then you sign Pouliot to a ridiculous 5 year, $20mill contract. I am sure that won't blow up in your face.

anybody in the top 4 would have been great picks for either team.  Edmonton had (well still has now that Gagner is gone) a hole at center and also desperately needed to get bigger and stronger, especially down the middle.  Draisaitl was THE perfect fit for our team (Ekblad would have been a phenomenal fit as well, but everybody knew that wasn't going to happen lol).  That Bennett worked out well for Calgary is just how the cards laid down. 

I get that the Oilers have to overpay players to sign in Edmonton, Calgary is currently going through some of the same issues. What I don't get is why overypay on term for Pouliot, the guy doesn't produce enough to be a top 6, and isn't exactly gritty enough to be a checking forward.

I get that the Oilers have to overpay players to sign in Edmonton, Calgary is currently going through some of the same issues. What I don't get is why overypay on term for Pouliot, the guy doesn't produce enough to be a top 6, and isn't exactly gritty enough to be a checking forward.

Understandable, but point production isn't what Edmonton was looking for though.  They are worse at keeping pucks out of their own end than they are at producing at the opposition end.  They needed size, strength, hitting, and defensive reliability.  While we may not consider him gritty enough, take a step back and look at the Oilers.. he suddenly looks pretty darn tough and gritty compared to what we have, wouldn't you say?  :lol:  For us the pickin's are slim, and the reimbursement has to be high..  for the time being that's just how it is going to be.

I have been watching the Flames vs Oilers rivalry since the early 80s.

I no longer hate Edmonton (it's Vancouver now), I actually feel sorry for them for having to put up with Kevin Lowe.

No slag on the players, it's mostly the Management's fault.

i yearn for a return to the days when no team wanted to come to Alberta just to get their butts handed to them.

Understandable, but point production isn't what Edmonton was looking for though.  They are worse at keeping pucks out of their own end than they are at producing at the opposition end.  They needed size, strength, hitting, and defensive reliability.  While we may not consider him gritty enough, take a step back and look at the Oilers.. he suddenly looks pretty darn tough and gritty compared to what we have, wouldn't you say?  :lol:  For us the pickin's are slim, and the reimbursement has to be high..  for the time being that's just how it is going to be.

It's not just pucks out of your own net, as goals was a big problem this year as well.  You need more than 25% of the goals to come from the 2-4th lines.  You also need to put the grit on the 1st line to prevent more than 50% of your goals against.  It isn't just replacing the D. 

Archived