Louis23

Trade rumors have followed Yakupov on and off this season...  After a pretty solid rookie season putting up 31 points in 48 games he followed it with only 24 points and a minus 33 in 63 games this season

Do any of you Oilers fans think he could be traded this summer, or will they hang onto him in hopes he improves his play, either to keep him for the long run or at least bring his stock up for a possible trade at some point?...

There were also some rumours of Gagner being on the block as well...   Who else might be made available?

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Horak bolted for the KHL a week ago...   http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/05/12/edmonton-oilers-prospect-roman-horak-acquired-in-ladi-smid-deal-signs-with-khl/

I like the Smid deal even better now...

I've always felt Laurent Brossoit benefitted from a stacked Edmonton Oil Kings team and statistically presented himself better than he was.  It looks like Olivier Roy might now become a better goalie in the long run. 

That, and with a promising NHLer like Horak leaving for the KHL, the Oilers lost the trade big time.  Horak was the Center piece of the deal and was suppose to solidify the bottom 6 for the Oilers with his two-way play and positionally sound hockey.  A totally solid deal for the Flames.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...895/story.html

From the Article:

Another defenceman has left the Edmonton Oilers for Russia's Kontinental Hockey League.

Philip Larsen, 24, has reportedly signed a one-year contract with the KHL's HC Yugra. The Danish blueliner, who was acquired by the Oilers last summer in the Shawn Horcoff trade, was due to become a restricted free agent.

This is now the 4th player that has bolted for the KHL out from under the Oilers in the past few months.  Teemu Hartikainen, Anton Belov, Roman Horak, and now Philip Larsen.

That's a total of 2 defenders lost.  This almost forces them to play Nurse early.  Not looking good for this team.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...895/story.html

From the Article:

This is now the 4th player that has bolted for the KHL out from under the Oilers in the past few months.  Teemu Hartikainen, Anton Belov, Roman Horak, and now Philip Larsen.

That's a total of 2 defenders lost.  This almost forces them to play Nurse early.  Not looking good for this team.

If you count Grebeshkov, that's 5 players which would then be 3 defenders...   Hartikainen bolted for the KHL last June, but the other 4 were all in the last month and a half...

I can't think of any other team in the history of the NHL that has had this happen...

Maybe Lowe's secret plan is to become a KHL farm team...   :ph34r:

e6b8b9fd8b547196e37d9c36e962c21c.png

Maybe Lowe's secret plan is to become a KHL farm team...   :ph34r:

e6b8b9fd8b547196e37d9c36e962c21c.png

Well before Bettman saved the Oilers with the salary cap, the Oilers were a farm team for the rest of the NHL.... Lowe must be feeling some deja vu.

With Gagner's play having declined since his NHL debut in 07/08, it will be interesting to find out what the return offered will be...

b1bcd1685d9124d283b633895d992bad.png

If they still expect a decent return he'll remain an Oiler.

Not much demand for a small center that isn't defensively sound & carries a 4.8 cap hit. Most Oiler fans say he'd fit on a stronger team as a winger & add offense but that's a big if.

He's not dependable enough to play shut down on a lower pairing & if line-mates on 1 of the top lines have to eye protecting him they lose some ability to do what makes them top line players.

It's very high risk & a big cost both salary & cap wise.

They want to trade Gagner for a D-man? Does this mean they may draft Ekblad now?

The Oilers need more then just one blue liner and IMO need more nhle ready blue liners so I don't ready into that at all. Even if they did draft Ekblad I would still recommend they deal Gagner for d help as their d is just not very good

They want to trade Gagner for a D-man? Does this mean they may draft Ekblad now?

The Oilers need more then just one blue liner and IMO need more nhle ready blue liners so I don't ready into that at all. Even if they did draft Ekblad I would still recommend they deal Gagner for d help as their d is just not very good

I still can see them possibly moving Yakupov ($3.775mil 1 year left) as well as Gagner ($4.8 mil 2 years left)...   Perhaps if they package both, they could get a conversation started with hopes of getting a top 4 D in return...   Individually I can't see either one of them (due to the stock having gone down on both players this season) getting a top 4 D in return without significantly sweetening the deal in a different way...   ,

I still can see them possibly moving Yakupov ($3.775mil 1 year left) as well as Gagner ($4.8 mil 2 years left)...   Perhaps if they package both, they could get a conversation started with hopes of getting a top 4 D in return...   Individually I can't see either one of them (due to the stock having gone down on both players this season) getting a top 4 D in return without significantly sweetening the deal in a different way...   ,

Gagner & Yakupov both carry salaries higher then their worth to most teams. A good 3-5 (most would be top 4 on a weak, inexperienced Oiler D & soon be whipping boys for lack of offense)  usually has a 3.5-4.5 contract so taking on 2 skilled forwards @ an additional 5-6 million. The Oilers have a pipeline of possible good D but most seem to be of the offensive bent rather then true defensemen.

Gagner is small & can't handle big guys that come @ him so can't play the defensive part of the job description. @ 4.8 really not better then any 2 way even if he might be better offensively.

Yak will be coming off his EL & hasn't lived up to what's expected from a 1/1. Made an attempt @ trying a little defense @ the end of the season but it looked 1/2 hearted. Already gave an interview where he seems to feel the coach has to adapt to him rather then being interested in buying into what the coach says. That ego doesn't exactly scream team player. He's just as likely to take his skills to a league where the play suits him as to change his game for the NHL. If he expects much more then what it takes to qualify him he'll be sad & his agent will see what the Euro market offers.

Neither has much trade value. Oilers might as well hold onto Yak in hopes he hits all that potential. With Gagner they'd need to retain salary to get a decent return so would need to see if they can find a 2C (he's still better then the rest of that motley lot).

Gagner & Yakupov both carry salaries higher then their worth to most teams.

Absolutely...      Anyone that thinks either one of them alone would get a deal done for a top 4 D has their expectations set too high and that is what I was getting at...

What I was trying to say was that it would take both of them to even get a conversation started on a trade for any significant return...   and I also think that even then they would really have to sweeten the deal with something else...   I was just trying to put it in a nice way...   :lol:

Otherwise they are going to have to give up better assets to try and fill some immediate needs without creating other problems...   Or they can just continue to dig a deeper hole...   It's the proverbial rock and a hard place...

The best moves the organization could make to start with would be to get rid of Low, MacT and Eakins, and a sizable  percentage of their fan base already knows that...   The also know that there is a better chance of the Oil winning the cup next year than that happening...   :ph34r:

Gagner & Yakupov both carry salaries higher then their worth to most teams. A good 3-5 (most would be top 4 on a weak, inexperienced Oiler D & soon be whipping boys for lack of offense)  usually has a 3.5-4.5 contract so taking on 2 skilled forwards @ an additional 5-6 million. The Oilers have a pipeline of possible good D but most seem to be of the offensive bent rather then true defensemen.

Gagner is small & can't handle big guys that come @ him so can't play the defensive part of the job description. @ 4.8 really not better then any 2 way even if he might be better offensively.

Yak will be coming off his EL & hasn't lived up to what's expected from a 1/1. Made an attempt @ trying a little defense @ the end of the season but it looked 1/2 hearted. Already gave an interview where he seems to feel the coach has to adapt to him rather then being interested in buying into what the coach says. That ego doesn't exactly scream team player. He's just as likely to take his skills to a league where the play suits him as to change his game for the NHL. If he expects much more then what it takes to qualify him he'll be sad & his agent will see what the Euro market offers.

Neither has much trade value. Oilers might as well hold onto Yak in hopes he hits all that potential. With Gagner they'd need to retain salary to get a decent return so would need to see if they can find a 2C (he's still better then the rest of that motley lot).

No matter the result over the last 2 years, and this upcoming season, expect a $6x6 contract for the young Rusky.  If he's stiffed on the deal, I'd expect Yak to bolt for the KHL (probably with his agent in agreeance) as he's seen it happen regularly over the last year or so.

No matter the result over the last 2 years, and this upcoming season, expect a $6x6 contract for the young Rusky.  If he's stiffed on the deal, I'd expect Yak to bolt for the KHL (probably with his agent in agreeance) as he's seen it happen regularly over the last year or so.

True enough. The other 1/1s all got 6 x 6 as the Oilers (mis)management are worried about losing all that "potential".

In a similar vein I wonder why prize UFA signing J Schultz hasn't re-upped yet. Maybe they offered 5.5 x 6 or he figures he should get 6 x 7 rather then 6 x 6 so he's in a pout. :lol:

Yak hasn't earned it, but he will expect it...   I think he was closer to seriously considering a trip overseas when he was a healthy scratch than a lot of OIl fans think...   5 players have left an Oil slick behind them while bolting for the KHL in less than a year...

True enough. The other 1/1s all got 6 x 6 as the Oilers (mis)management are worried about losing all that "potential".

Oilers brass should have realized quite a while back that the current pieces aren't going to get it done...    We all knew that, and a number of us were saying that if they kept handing out longer term $6 mil contracts that they were going to be too tight to the cap to fill in the blanks...   Then they have also had the problem of not been able to attract enough quality players that have added up to make any significant difference...   They were in between a rock and a hard place, and just continued to pile up more rocks...

They need to trade some talent to make changes, and they just watched a couple of tradable assets go down hill...   Including Yakupov...

e38e50e8a4236f8831e988a49727f552.png

In a similar vein I wonder why prize UFA signing J Schultz hasn't re-upped yet. Maybe they offered 5.5 x 6 or he figures he should get 6 x 7 rather then 6 x 6 so he's in a pout. :lol:

That almost makes it sound like J Schultz might also have a sense of entitlement...   Oh wait...   :ph34r:

Archived