Like a Howse on Fire

well, no - it lists him with +1 for yesterday: http://www.whl.ca/roster/gameByGame/id/887

I admit that the +/- category isn't always a category that reflects a player's way of playing, though. I mean, David van der Gulik amassed something like +50 in 4 seasons for the farm team and still couldn't crack the NHL roster. It's not that important really, it's just that -23 was something that struck me when I looked at the stats of some of our prospects.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although those numbers are impressing, his +/- is horrifying. He has a team-worst -23, defenseman Tyler Stahl is second with -16. Sure, Chilliwack isn't a very good team, but as a comparison, 16-year old forward Brandon Magee sits at +14.

Patrick Holland also has a good season, 20 goals and 36 assists in 62 games is not bad for a second-year player who was just drafted in the 7th round. He has a lot more points (56) than Howse had in his second season (44), so I guess he could become an interesting prospect down the road.

And Max Reinhart steadily improves, he is not far behind Howse point-wise (he has 31 goals and 41 assists in 66 games for Kootenay). And you can also consider that Reinhart has another year of junior hockey ahead of him while Howse's junior career ends this spring ...

I guess these three are not the next NHL heroes, but given our small prospect stack, those three are the most intriguing offensive prospects we have outside of the AHL.

As for Howse, his plus/minus doesn't concern me; anyone can learn to play defense, but not everyone can score goals. Brett Hull was -17 in St. Louis(lol), but he picked it up in Dallas and Detroit.

I like Holland too, but Howse started his first full season with the Bruins in Oct. of 2007 when he had only been 16 years old for three months. Holland's first full year started in Oct. of 2009 when he was only about three months from his 18th birthday. Big difference. Howse is actually only about 6 months older than Holland. Holland is more of a late bloomer type of player by WHL standards...since he is at an age where his life is measured in months instead of years.

Howse's numbers may not look very good in the plus minus department, but i've read article where his coach Marc Habscheid has credited significant improvment in his defensive game. Habscheid is a pro style coach so if he says someone's defence game is improvement i'll take his word for it.

I've looked at Hockeys Future a lot lately (mostly because I have nothing better to do) and I've noticed that Howse is rated a 6.5C. That means... 3rd line checking role. This struck me as odd, since he seems more of a 2nd line or bust type guy. He's the only pure goalscorer in the system. I would have expected more of a 7.0D or something like that.

anyway, I like his production. His +/- is down--way down--from last year. But then, so are the Bruins themselves. They made the playoffs last year. Not likely to this year.

and as an observation I've made on his streaky production: I've noticed that he produces more when Roman Horak is in the lineup (unsurprisingly). His worst stretch was while Horak was injured.

Reinhart has been even streakier, but you have to like that kind of production from a player like him (most likely a defence first center) His scoring touch has vastly improved.

Holland's year looks good until you consider that he started the season at a point per game pace, fell off, then came back, and has now fallen even farther off. He's impossible to figure out (but for a 7th rounder to get anywhere near a PPG is good)

Why isn't anyone talking about Michael Ferland? He's been at or around the PPG pace all season long

I've looked at Hockeys Future a lot lately (mostly because I have nothing better to do) and I've noticed that Howse is rated a 6.5C. That means... 3rd line checking role. This struck me as odd, since he seems more of a 2nd line or bust type guy. He's the only pure goalscorer in the system. I would have expected more of a 7.0D or something like that.

anyway, I like his production. His +/- is down--way down--from last year. But then, so are the Bruins themselves. They made the playoffs last year. Not likely to this year.

and as an observation I've made on his streaky production: I've noticed that he produces more when Roman Horak is in the lineup (unsurprisingly). His worst stretch was while Horak was injured.

Reinhart has been even streakier, but you have to like that kind of production from a player like him (most likely a defence first center) His scoring touch has vastly improved.

Holland's year looks good until you consider that he started the season at a point per game pace, fell off, then came back, and has now fallen even farther off. He's impossible to figure out (but for a 7th rounder to get anywhere near a PPG is good)

Why isn't anyone talking about Michael Ferland? He's been at or around the PPG pace all season long

Actually Howse's production went down because both of his linemates: Roman Horak and Robin Soudek were playing in the WJC's for the Czech Republic if I am not mistaken.

As for why no one is talking about Ferland, it is probably because it is a Ryan Howse thread and the other prospects have just been introduced to the conversation.

But now that you have brought him up, from my perspective, I wasn't aware he was producing like that. I checked on him earlier in the season but his numbers were marginal and I think he may have been injured as well IIRC and haven't kept up on his progress, so thx for bringing it up.

In all fairness, and I am in no means trying to rain on anyone's parade, PPG in the Dub isn't something to get overly excited about. IMO, if you want even the hope of playing in the NHL as a forward you've got to be pretty close to a PPG. It help, but I dont typically get too excited just becuase a player is a PPG player.

With Ferlund, that is encouraging becuase he's suppose to be more of a checker/agitator type player. If they could find another Prust style player I'd be extremely excited.

In all fairness, and I am in no means trying to rain on anyone's parade, PPG in the Dub isn't something to get overly excited about.

I think it is interesting in this kid's case, if only as a comparison to last year. He was barely 18 when wen he was drafted. And if the stats I was reading are right, he has grown two inches and put on nearly 20 lbs and won't be 19 until next month, it may be a sign of things to come.

I think it is interesting in this kid's case, if only as a comparison to last year. He was barely 18 when wen he was drafted. And if the stats I was reading are right, he has grown two inches and put on nearly 20 lbs and won't be 19 until next month, it may be a sign of things to come.

and I agree, was just offering up why there isn't alot of talk about certain prospects and that just because they are a PPG doesn't mean a whole lot.

But as I mentioned in Ferland's case its a little more positive. Just should be viewed as a case by case basis thats all.

true. However, HF hasn't updated the Flames prospects for a few months now, while prospects of other teams have been updated in February. I guess they don't really like our prospects, they also rank us 30th in the league. I think their ranking of our prospects is weird anyway.

and I agree, was just offering up why there isn't alot of talk about certain prospects and that just because they are a PPG doesn't mean a whole lot.

But as I mentioned in Ferland's case its a little more positive. Just should be viewed as a case by case basis thats all.

Yeah, I agree actually. I think it is more meaningful in Ferland's case than say in Holland's.

Howse has finished the regular season with 51 goals (2nd in the league, Tyler Johnson had 52) and 32 assists in 70 games. He didn't play in the Bruins' last game against Everett. Chilliwack will face Spokane or Tri-City in the first playoff round, so I guess the postseason will be short. Maybe he can play a few games for Abbotsford ...

I didn't listen to the last Bruin's game. Im wondering why Howse didnt play. With an opportunity to take the scoring lead.. Was he being rested, or is there an injury? I just thought as a final year player he would have gotten that shot. Wierd.

However, dont count the Bruin's out of the playoffs. They went on "some kind of run"(lol, being one of the hottest teams in the WHL over the past month. If they get Tri-City, they have a good shot.

But on the flip side, Howse joining the Heat would be a great thing. They need all the scoring they can get.

The Bruins are down 0-2 in their series against Spokane despite hosting both games. They lost the first game 2-3 in overtime, but they got trashed in game 2, 0-5. Howse has not recorded points yet. Spokane has three home games in a row now, so a Bruins exit after 4 or 5 is realistic. If they lose the series after 4 or 5, Howse could see ~5 AHL games. Would be great for everybody involved ... Howse could get some first taste of professional hockey, Abbotsford needs every scoring option available and the Flames could get a good look of Howse making his first steps on the next level.

TBH i thought Howse was a little dissapointing this season . i was looking for higher 50's for goals and maybe 95 points . albeit he wasnt on a great team but I wouldve thought he could also have a better plus/ minus after his better defensive year last year . I agree hes by far the most intriguing offensive prospect in our system , but is too streaky for my liking . I do potenitially see him as a Rene Bourque without the size if everything goes well . I see Nemisz as a David Moss and Bouma as a Prust type .

• 10 months later...

Just a little update on Howse. I know its been a bit of a disapointing season so far. But he has been picking up his play as of late.

Got his first Pro goal. Followed by his first Pro assist the game after, just over a week ago.

Then the other night gets his first PP goal playing first unit powerplay with the Heat. He has been playing very well as of late, and Troy Ward has rewarded him. Here is hoping he keeps it up.

Just a little update on Howse. I know its been a bit of a disapointing season so far. But he has been picking up his play as of late.

Got his first Pro goal. Followed by his first Pro assist the game after, just over a week ago.

Then the other night gets his first PP goal playing first unit powerplay with the Heat. He has been playing very well as of late, and Troy Ward has rewarded him. Here is hoping he keeps it up.

Howse also scored the shootout winner last game

He needs to start heating up if he hopes to make a crack at the roster next year. But honestly he is probably looking at another year in the minors.

if you think about it, without injuries the 20-21 game mark for him likely would have been in the end of november or early december. and when we consider it is his rookie season as a pro, getting it going before christmas wouldn't be so bad

if you think about it, without injuries the 20-21 game mark for him likely would have been in the end of november or early december. and when we consider it is his rookie season as a pro, getting it going before christmas wouldn't be so bad

Thats true Ring, but at the same token Howse's potential is pretty high and the numbers are good but not GREAT. I wouldnt mind seeing him develop a little more, UNLESS and this is a big unless, we change our 3rd line duties for next season and have a youth line as our 3rd. Horak centre with Howse and sven as wingers.

edit: and when i say change the duties this would be a non checking line and more of a scoring line. :)

Thats true Ring, but at the same token Howse's potential is pretty high and the numbers are good but not GREAT. I wouldnt mind seeing him develop a little more, UNLESS and this is a big unless, we change our 3rd line duties for next season and have a youth line as our 3rd. Horak centre with Howse and sven as wingers.

edit: and when i say change the duties this would be a non checking line and more of a scoring line. :)

keep in mind Howse is also learning to be more than a scorer and he is no more offensively gifted than Nemisz who in his 2nd pro season has developed into one of the leaders on the Heat and Nemisz finished with just under half a point per game as an AHL rookie.

Also don't forget the Heat are not an offensive club, they are last in goals in the AHL (even with a 6 goal outburst this afternoon). S0 I wouldn't expect much in the way of points because the team leaders are putting up no more than .5 to .75 points per game (except Kolanos). SO a 5 in 9 stretch IMO is actually pretty damn good.

Archived