Sutter Steps Down, Playfair In

To continue from the other thread:

I disagree. I think coaching is an underrated aspect to the success of a team. Look at the affect that Sutter had not only on the players but the attitude of the entire franchise AND fanbase.

First, Sutter might be one of those exceptional. or at least unique coaches I referred to. Also, his impact as GM has been at leat as great, if not greater than, his impact as a coach. I didn't say coaching never has an impact; I meant that it is not often that the coach is a difference maker.

Most coaches are roughly equal to each other, but again there are exceptions. The players are the ones who've got to deliver and bring their best game; no amount of x's and o's or motivational speeches will change that fact. To put it another way, players can make a coach look like a genius or a fool; how often does the reverse happen? Occasionally (eg. Jacques Lemaire), but not often.

The Flames have done a good job this offseason. I doubt Playfair replacing Sutter is a step back, at least not much, because the team has the personnel to be competitive regardless of who the coach is (unless a moron had taken over, and Playfair's not a moron).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is stupid, darryl is a awesome coach, and hes not to old, he should silll be coaching  :x

It's for the best interests of the franchise in general. Yes, Daryl is a great coach but he's not God's gift to coaching nor is he the only great coach in the NHL. I have faith in Playfair.

It is gonna be the same system that sutter was running Playfair has already said he isnt changing the system to how darryl was running things....
Yeah, as much as I like run & gun hockey, it's just not going to work with this team. May as well stick to getting the players to play defensively, with some aggressive forechecking thrown in. With the Simons & Donovans replaced with finesse guys like Freezer & Tanguay, it'll be interesting to see how much aggressive forechecking the Flames will actually use.

Overall, this is going to be very good I think. It will be very interesting to see how Iginla responds to this early in the season. Maybe this will spur him into a faster start. Plus Tanguay will be a plus on Iginlas offensive side.

I hope Playfair can make the Flames complete two consecutive passes in the neutral zone.  Please, that's all i'm asking.  I'm not even asking for more goals!  Just complete a few consecutive passes in the neutral zone please!
I know, it was infuriating to watch the Flames "break" up ice. With some of the pluggers gone, and a full season from Tanguay, Hammer & Hus, they should be a little better at conncecting the dots. Still, expecting beautiful tape-to-tape passes all the time would be a little optimistic unless the Flames get even more finesse players.

I think this is definetely a good move. Sutter was spreading himself too thin being both coach and GM at the same time, not focusing adequately on either job.

Sutter has done an amazing job as GM so far, so just imagine how well he can do now that he only has to focus on that.

On the coaching side of things, I think we got out-coached in the first round. Anaheim had a clear strategy to take us out and we never really adapted an effective counter punch. Hopefully a fresh set of eyes behind the bench and the addition of Fleming (who is a more offensive style coach) can bring that dimension to our game this season.

Archived