Sutter Steps Down, Playfair In

doesn't this mean that we have to get rid of Friesen now???

Because after all, people have been saying that his best hockey was played under Sutter....

Seeing how they are hiring from within I imagine the style of play will stay the same, I just hope that the players show the same respect to Playfair as they did to Sutter. This seems to be a problem with this type of replacement or at least that my theory (side note my theories are usually wrong)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO.. it cant be, i dont want playfair as our head coach.. we should have been better off in getting Ted Nolan before the Isles did if Sutter wanted to step down, and yeah i hope he doesnt tinker with the system if he is gonna be the bench boss next season.

NO.. it cant be, i dont want playfair as our head coach.. we should have been better off in getting Ted Nolan before the Isles did if Sutter wanted to step down, and yeah i hope he doesnt tinker with the system if he is gonna be the bench boss next season.

Why would you say that? He is a good coach. Playfair turned our D around and has been a pretty big part in the reemergence of the Flames in the last couple years. He has said that he has learned a lot from Sutter in the last couple years and if Sutter believes he is ready, then he is ready. I have no doubt he will be good for the Flames.

...having said that, I still would have liked to have seen Sutter for one more year, but I am not taking anything away from Playfair. I think he'll be good too....

Technically, they'll still be playing for Sutter. This isn't a situation where the coach leaves the team completely. He's still the GM. If you don't play to Sutters liking, you're still gone. The players know that, the coaches know that. So, I'm pretty sure this will STILL be a Sutter Team.

And what happened to the In Sutter We Trust?

If Sutter thinks/knows that Playfair will be a fine replacement, then maybe we should trust him and see how it turns out.

Sutter wouldn't have picked Playfair as his replacement if he didn't think the players would respect him, or if he thought Playfair would change things radically.

Sutter wouldn't have signed or traded for new players if he didn't think they could play well under Playfair, and probably consulted with Playfair and the rest of the coaching staff before making any moves.

Playfair has a pretty solid resume (including an AHL championship) and a good reputation. With him behind the bench and Sutter upstairs, the team is in good hands. It will be a very smooth transition. I'm not worried at all.

Well as long as he is still a part of the organization I am happy, however I am skeptical about how well our team will be playing this year without him behind the bench. Calgary really seems to fall apart when we have mediocre coaching staff and we need a strong leader.

Well as long as he is still a part of the organization I am happy, however I am skeptical about how well our team will be playing this year without him behind the bench. Calgary really seems to fall apart when we have mediocre coaching staff and we need a strong leader.

Leading a team to the Calder Cup isn't enough leadership for you?

Leading a team to the Calder Cup isn't enough leadership for you?

LOL...

I think I'm going to pass out....

JK

Anyway, I think this is a good move at this point...One they have known would come for a while I bet.

Playfair will be a good coach and Sutter will be an even better GM. This is what Sutter loves to do and is very good at scouting so...While I'm sad to see him go I know that both of these guys will make the Calgary Flames better.

No Surrender...We have the horses, now is the time to go for that Cup!

This is a good move, it allows Sutter the opportunity to plan and scout before the inevitable loss of Iggy, Kipper and Phaneuf when they become too expensive for the team in 2 years time.

2 years you may say is a long time but not in hockey.

Playfair will do ok with Sutter to guide him.

This is a good move, it allows Sutter the opportunity to plan and scout before the inevitable loss of Iggy, Kipper and Phaneuf when they become too expensive for the team in 2 years time.

2 years you may say is a long time but not in hockey.

Playfair will do ok with Sutter to guide him.

You forgot about Regehr. His contract is up in two years time as well. So that's a big part of our core so you make a good point.

Well I just hope this isn't an absolute disaster for the Flames.  IMHO Sutter contributed up to as much as 70% to the Flames success the past 2 seasons, and I hope we don't go back to our bad old way's with a rookie coach behind the bench.

I think you are drastically underestimating the role that Playfair has had with this teams success in the last few seasons. I don't want to take away from the role that Sutter has played but you cannot disregard Playfair either. He molded our D into what it currently is, and that is quite the accomplishment. He has also had an increasingly larger role behind the bench in terms of outlining plays and the like in the past season. Sutter gave Playfair a lot of leeway and allowed him to coach quite a bit, allowed him to take the reigns so to speak. The Flames are in good hands with Playfair. He's got a brilliant hockey mind and we should be thanking our lucky stars that he remained with the Flames as an assistant for these past seasons.

Sutter had good years behind the bench but he obviously just wants to focus on the GM role. With both jobs he was way too busy/tired to do anything else. Playfair is ready for the job,he's been with Sutter the last 2 years so he knows the system. Im sure things wont change much. It will be interesting to see how Playfair does.

I think that this is a great move for Sutter, once again bravo! As good as he was as a head coach, I think he did more for the flames as a GM. Bringing in a whole new core of guys and turning the team around in two years, super impressive. Now that he has the time to concentrate on one thing, I can only imagine what kinda highway robbery he'll pull off next. Maybe Forsberg for Noodles lol.

As far as Playfair goes, he's a greast coach, I'm sure Sutter has been slowly giving him more tasks and slowly handing him the reigns through the past two three years. Perhaps he can even introduce more offense. Thanks for everything Sutter

I'm looking forward to some new coaching blood from Wayne Fleming. Especially if it can revamp the powerplay. Score an additional PPG every 3 games and that puts the flames in the middle of the pact based on last years "Goals For" totals, without changing a thing. I also would like to see the Flames have a faster transition game and not rely solely on the opposition defensive laspses and there league best forecheck for goal production.

With regards to Sutter, even though I expected it after the playoffs finished, I thought with the new players coming in he would stay behind the bench for onemore season. I think it's time.

I'm looking forward to some new coaching blood from Wayne Fleming. Especially if it can revamp the powerplay. Score an additional PPG every 3 games and that puts the flames in the middle of the pact based on last years "Goals For" totals, without changing a thing. I also would like to see the Flames have a faster transition game and not rely solely on the opposition defensive laspses and there league best forecheck for goal production.  

With regards to Sutter, even though I expected it after the playoffs finished, I thought with the new players coming in he would stay behind the bench for onemore season. I think it's time.

I agree that Fleming will be a good addition to the staff. Too bad he's not replacing Rich "Mumbles" Preston though.

I'll miss Darryl patrolling the bench, but I think it's a good move for him and the organization. Doing two big jobs at such a high level is only sustainable for so long. The amount of travel, long hours and late nights must take it's toll after a while. Last year, you could tell that Darryl was stepping back on the coaching duties quite a bit and relying on Jim Playfair quite a lot. I go to practices whenever I can and sometimes you don't even see Darryl. I think that the team will get stronger leadership now, because the head coach will be totally focused on coaching. Make no mistake - it's still a Sutter team no matter how you slice it.

Archived