Puustinen Prospect playing for Kamloops

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its about time one of our late draft picks is moulding into a player with some potential. Hopefully its the start of a new trend. Earlier today, I was talking to a friend about Detroit's uncanny ability to spot gems in the late rounds of draft picks, guys like Lidstrom and the "Russian Unit" of the 1990s along with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg who were all late picks. Detroit's performance in the last 13 years is based largely on their draft ability.

• 4 weeks later...
Well its about time one of our late draft picks is moulding into a player with some potential. Hopefully its the start of a new trend. Earlier today, I was talking to a friend about Detroit's uncanny ability to spot gems in the late rounds of draft picks, guys like Lidstrom and the "Russian Unit" of the 1990s along with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg who were all late picks. Detroit's performance in the last 13 years is based largely on their draft ability.

The wings have traded away alot of their 1st and some times second round picks, so they have to rely on late round draft picks....

That may be true but it doesn't diminish their ability to uncover hidden gems unlike any other team in the NHL.

With out a first and second round pick, a team has more time and assets to use on scouting players for the later rounds...

With out a first and second round pick, a team has more time and assets to use on scouting players for the later rounds...

Thats not really the way scouting works. Detroit find late round gems because they were the first organization to put scouts in Europe full time rather than just send them over there a few times a years. They hired people that already lived there and thus were able to see guys like Zetteberg, Datsuyk, Holmstrom play multiple times and thus know whatthey are getting out of them. Detoirt began trading their higher picks becuase they had found their key players in later rounds, and not the other way around.

Thats not really the way scouting works. Detroit find late round gems because they were the first organization to put scouts in Europe full time rather than just send them over there a few times a years. They hired people that already lived there and thus were able to see guys like Zetteberg, Datsuyk, Holmstrom play multiple times and thus know whatthey are getting out of them. Detoirt began trading their higher picks becuase they had found their key players in later rounds, and not the other way around.

Probably paying less for the later round picks with a lower salary.

• 2 weeks later...
Puustinen Goal

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

I hope he gets a shot with the Flames next season. With Nolan likely to leave, there's a second line RW hole that needs to be filled.

Great skill level, and I like his upside but I think he'll need at least a year in the A. Hes improved his overal game, but still is a bit of a liability in some aspects of the game. The world juniors showed his speed and skill are world class, but he'll need a year IMO to adust that to a pro game with more physicality.

The being said, the Flames have mananged to find a spot for a highly skilled, softer, winger who can often be a defensive liabiilty. Pusstinen could pretty much step right into Juice's shoes. and even better, he isn't a PP time puck hog like Juice can be.

Has he appeared for QC yet?

Nope, He doenst have a contract with calgary yet. The team is in negotions (sp) with his agent to get a ATO to see if he can "play" at this lever this is what McGill said in the local paper.

Prust was suspended for a game and qc called up Donally today.

Nope, He doenst have a contract with calgary yet. The team is in negotions (sp) with his agent to get a ATO to see if he can "play" at this lever this is what McGill said in the local paper.

Prust was suspended for a game and qc called up Donally today.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Great skill level, and I like his upside but I think he'll need at least a year in the A. Hes improved his overal game, but still is a bit of a liability in some aspects of the game. The world juniors showed his speed and skill are world class, but he'll need a year IMO to adust that to a pro game with more physicality.

The being said, the Flames have mananged to find a spot for a highly skilled, softer, winger who can often be a defensive liabiilty. Pusstinen could pretty much step right into Juice's shoes. and even better, he isn't a PP time puck hog like Juice can be.

heck, they even have the same nickname :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't think he's interested in playing in the NHL anymore. My guess is that he goes and stays in Europe and makes a decent living tax free.

I think this would have to be the reason. When his season was done in Kamloops there were articles there that talked about how he got on a flight almost right away to go down to Quad Cities. Yeah they could always be wrong, but for an organization who spoke fairly high of Pusstinen, seemed liek the wanted him signed and then all of a sudden they don't want to sign him? I know Sutter will never devulge the reason, but I also have a feeling that he simply doens't want to play in the NHL so Sutter isn't gonna bother trying to negotiate. Too bad because I actually viewed him as an NHL player down the road and a decent one.

I think this would have to be the reason. When his season was done in Kamloops there were articles there that talked about how he got on a flight almost right away to go down to Quad Cities. Yeah they could always be wrong, but for an organization who spoke fairly high of Pusstinen, seemed liek the wanted him signed and then all of a sudden they don't want to sign him? I know Sutter will never devulge the reason, but I also have a feeling that he simply doens't want to play in the NHL so Sutter isn't gonna bother trying to negotiate. Too bad because I actually viewed him as an NHL player down the road and a decent one.

I dont think Sutter wanted to sign him because he has too much speed and skill. ;)

Wow i can't believe this is happening. What the heck is Sutter doing? I've been waiting on Pusso to wear a flames jersey so much and now Sutter isn't finding ways to keep him?

Seriously where are his man management skills? Wheres his charisma?

Wow Im absolutely going to be pissed if they let Pusso walk.

Wow i can't believe this is happening. What the heck is Sutter doing? I've been waiting on Pusso to wear a flames jersey so much and now Sutter isn't finding ways to keep him?

Seriously where are his man management skills? Wheres his charisma?

Wow Im absolutely going to be pissed if they let Pusso walk.

I would wait to hear the story before you assume they are letting him walk. More than likely he doesn't want to play in the NHL and is heading back to his homeland to play for money. if he really wanted to play in the NHL, and Sutter dind't want him, he would re enter the draft and not go sign with a team in Europe which he has already done. If you sign with an team in Europe that close to the end of your season that suggests to me that the player doens't really want to play in the NHL and would rather go home.

I would wait to hear the story before you assume they are letting him walk. More than likely he doesn't want to play in the NHL and is heading back to his homeland to play for money. if he really wanted to play in the NHL, and Sutter dind't want him, he would re enter the draft and not go sign with a team in Europe which he has already done. If you sign with an team in Europe that close to the end of your season that suggests to me that the player doens't really want to play in the NHL and would rather go home.

Well most players do want to play for the NHL so its highly unusual for them to not want to. Something to consider is that Sutter may be trying to lowball him on the contract (see giordano). Also its Sutter's job to convince the play that he should stay and play here rather than the other. Again he does not have a big track record in being able to convince coveted players to come here especially in terms of UFA marquee agents.

If Pusso didn't want to play in the NHL he would have never came to play in the WHL for so long as well. Something to consider is that perhaps Sutter's player negotiation skills are not exactly the greatest? He could not come to terms with Taratuhkin, Ryder, Gio and Pusso. Irregardless of other situations influencing the outcome, the bottom line is he is unable to make it enticing for young players to stay with the flames it seems.

Well most players do want to play for the NHL so its highly unusual for them to not want to. Something to consider is that Sutter may be trying to lowball him on the contract (see giordano). Also its Sutter's job to convince the play that he should stay and play here rather than the other. Again he does not have a big track record in being able to convince coveted players to come here especially in terms of UFA marquee agents.

If Pusso didn't want to play in the NHL he would have never came to play in the WHL for so long as well. Something to consider is that perhaps Sutter's player negotiation skills are not exactly the greatest? He could not come to terms with Taratuhkin, Ryder, Gio and Pusso. Irregardless of other situations influencing the outcome, the bottom line is he is unable to make it enticing for young players to stay with the flames it seems.

Sutter has signed Iginla, Kiprusoff, Phaneuf, and Regehr to long term contracts. If that isn't convincing enough for the young guys to come and play then who's problem is that?

Taratuhkin had a baby and had to play at home to be near his new family.

Ryder didn't quit the Flames, he quit hockey.

Giordano got some bad advice from his agent. After 2 months in Russia he ran home looking for a contract from Sutter (December 2007).

Puustinen...who knows? My guess is that he had enough of riding buses and decided to make real money in a professional league where they speak his language, pay for his apartment, give him a car and make him feel like a star. Perhaps Sutter didn't want him. He did say in his FAN960 interview that he was near the 50 player roster limit and wanted to give some young players a shot.

Detroit, New Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Jose, Montreal and every other NHL team has guys that they drafted playing professionally in Europe. I suppose that they're all lousy negotiators too, right?

Archived