Top Goalie Prospects

That's not all. Several draft picks from the past three years appear poised to bid for roster spots this fall, including center Dustin Boyd, defensemen Tim Ranholt and Richie Regehr and a trio of left wings, Brandon Prust, Kris Chucko and Eric Nystrom.

Ummm...?

And where's Taratukhin?

• 1 month later...
will Leland Irving be our next kipper ? will he be better or worse? predictions?

I don't think he will be Kipper (ie top 3 goalie and perrenial Vezina candidate) but thats not to say that he won't, i jsut don't think he will. He doesn't have the same type of reflexes that I see out of Kipper, although his glove hand is almost as good. I see him as a top starting goalie, but i'm not quite ready to say he is the next vezina winner. alot of people compare him to Cam Ward, but Irving shows a great mental side of the game which Ward showed in the SCF but didn't last year. So I would saw, as my best guess right now, you would get (max potential) with Irving a SCF Ward which I don't think Flames fans would complain about.

I was wondering about Taratukhin myself... I liked what they had about our goalies, then after that I kind of laughed. It's sad that Gord Baldwin is our second most promising defensive prospect.

Well, we do have some nice forward and goaltending prospects, but defensively we do need better depth. I myself was a little suprised Gord Baldwin was listed over Matt Pelech or maybe even John Negrin, but more is needed. Adding AJ

Thelen would give the system a huge boost IMHO, a legit 1st round talent. Anyone know why he is still unsigned?

I don't think he will be Kipper (ie top 3 goalie and perrenial Vezina candidate) but thats not to say that he won't, i jsut don't think he will. He doesn't have the same type of reflexes that I see out of Kipper, although his glove hand is almost as good. I see him as a top starting goalie, but i'm not quite ready to say he is the next vezina winner. alot of people compare him to Cam Ward, but Irving shows a great mental side of the game which Ward showed in the SCF but didn't last year. So I would saw, as my best guess right now, you would get (max potential) with Irving a SCF Ward which I don't think Flames fans would complain about.

Irving is going to be much better then ward i say his potential is going to be aaa thomas vokoun

Irving is going to be much better then ward i say his potential is going to be aaa thomas vokoun

Well you asked me for one, and for two read a scouting report on Irving and that is his number one comparison most times.

Vokoun and Irving play two very different styles and Irving will never be a Thomas Vokoun. vokoun is a big standup style goalie whereas Irving is more athletic. They both are smart positional goalies but Vokoun's asset is not so much his athleticism thus he relies on more of a standup style of goaltending, Irving does not.

Well, we do have some nice forward and goaltending prospects, but defensively we do need better depth. I myself was a little suprised Gord Baldwin was listed over Matt Pelech or maybe even John Negrin, but more is needed. Adding AJ

Thelen would give the system a huge boost IMHO, a legit 1st round talent. Anyone know why he is still unsigned?

I've been wondering that to. he even showed how good of shutdown man he can be inthe Memorial Cup, and worthy of a 1st round billing so its wierd that no one has signed hiim. However, i think there are a couple things working against him.

The 50 man roster says that only 50 players can have standard player contracts per team and the Flames, and many teams, have filled that with their own draft picks. Some may still question his attitude, and he may also be pushing for a one way deal or for a higher salary that teams don't want to gvie a rookie. either way there arre lots of factors working against him but i would love for the Flames to get him. It is pretty sad when Adam Parody is one of your top 4 defensive prospects.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been wondering that to. he even showed how good of shutdown man he can be inthe Memorial Cup, and worthy of a 1st round billing so its wierd that no one has signed hiim. However, i think there are a couple things working against him.

The 50 man roster says that only 50 players can have standard player contracts per team and the Flames, and many teams, have filled that with their own draft picks. Some may still question his attitude, and he may also be pushing for a one way deal or for a higher salary that teams don't want to gvie a rookie. either way there arre lots of factors working against him but i would love for the Flames to get him. It is pretty sad when Adam Parody is one of your top 4 defensive prospects.

Well cross, just thought I'd pass this along, and sorry this is off topic - I was reading the latest issue of The Hockey News at work yesterday (page 43) and seen the Wild resigned AJ to a $50,000 minor league contact with their AHL affiliate in Houston. I never seen it reported on TSN or anywhere else unless I overlooked it.

• 2 weeks later...
Well you asked me for one, and for two read a scouting report on Irving and that is his number one comparison most times.

Vokoun and Irving play two very different styles and Irving will never be a Thomas Vokoun. vokoun is a big standup style goalie whereas Irving is more athletic. They both are smart positional goalies but Vokoun's asset is not so much his athleticism thus he relies on more of a standup style of goaltending, Irving does not.

well what i mean is that he wont have the same style but he will be as good as him and better

• 2 months later...
Irving? Keetley is the real deal in the Flames future.

There pretty equal, but I wouldnt' discount Irving. Irving is more athletic than Keeltey, with Keetley having the edge in positional play. either way, its impossible to say one is better than the other, or discount Irving to say keetly is better.

There pretty equal, but I wouldnt' discount Irving. Irving is more athletic than Keeltey, with Keetley having the edge in positional play. either way, its impossible to say one is better than the other, or discount Irving to say keetly is better.

It all depends on who continues to improve. Keetley hasnt got a chance to play alot this year and his progress is probably going to suffer because of it, but if you look at what hes done over the last 5 years its hard to bet against this guy. Irving has had a slow start to this season and will need to start picking it up if he wants to play pro next year. My feeling is he should stay in the WHL next year and continue to play as many games as he can rather then make the jump to the AHL or NHL and have his games drastically reduced with all the good goalies in the system already!

It all depends on who continues to improve. Keetley hasnt got a chance to play alot this year and his progress is probably going to suffer because of it, but if you look at what hes done over the last 5 years its hard to bet against this guy. Irving has had a slow start to this season and will need to start picking it up if he wants to play pro next year. My feeling is he should stay in the WHL next year and continue to play as many games as he can rather then make the jump to the AHL or NHL and have his games drastically reduced with all the good goalies in the system already!

Irving has already picked it up and his save % is steadily climbing. Hes up to .910 now and back in the top 20 int he dub. Very impressive consdiering it was about .880 or so for almost the first 10 games. Hes been very, very good from November on and today was named to the selection camp for the world juniors.

Irving ...today was named to the selection camp for the world juniors.

If he doesn't make it as the starter this year, i would "begin" to write him off as a bust...

He nearly beat out Carey Price for the starting job last year so to not win it this year would be a step in the wrong direction for Irving.

If he doesn't make it as the starter this year, i would "begin" to write him off as a bust...

He nearly beat out Carey Price for the starting job last year so to not win it this year would be a step in the wrong direction for Irving.

I have a feeling he may not even make the team. Bernier is the front-runner for starter given his performance at the Super Series (although all 3 goalies played well there) and his play with the Kings earlier in the year and Mason is penciled in to be backup, with Irving having to fight his way in. Well, that's if you ask TSN anyways...

IMO Irving and Bernier should be the goalie tandem and I'd like to think Irving would be the go-to starter based on the simple fact that he was backup last year with Bernier having to outplay him to get it, but who knows...

I have a feeling he may not even make the team. Bernier is the front-runner for starter given his performance at the Super Series (although all 3 goalies played well there) and his play with the Kings earlier in the year and Mason is penciled in to be backup, with Irving having to fight his way in. Well, that's if you ask TSN anyways...

IMO Irving and Bernier should be the goalie tandem and I'd like to think Irving would be the go-to starter based on the simple fact that he was backup last year with Bernier having to outplay him to get it, but who knows...

IMO, i thought Irving was the best goalie at the Super Series and i could never figured out why people argued Bernier was. Bernier was great in the first game, but i thoguth was only good to OK in the rest. he is the one that got lit up in the one game Russia managed to tie. Irving won all his games and played very well in those games and I thought looked much better than Mason, and was slightly ahead of Bernier, who i might add is not playing well in the Q.

Even if he doesn't make the team, there is no way you can even begin to write him off as a bust. There are plenty of 1st rd goalies who didn't play for Canada that turned out fine and some that did play and dind't (Denis).

IMO, i thought Irving was the best goalie at the Super Series and i could never figured out why people argued Bernier was. Bernier was great in the first game, but i thoguth was only good to OK in the rest. he is the one that got lit up in the one game Russia managed to tie. Irving won all his games and played very well in those games and I thought looked much better than Mason, and was slightly ahead of Bernier, who i might add is not playing well in the Q.

Even if he doesn't make the team, there is no way you can even begin to write him off as a bust. There are plenty of 1st rd goalies who didn't play for Canada that turned out fine and some that did play and dind't (Denis).

I didn't get to catch much of the Super Series, so I went by what I heard and I didn't hear much about Irving. And if Bernier is playing poorly in the Q at the moment, then I guess that changes things.

And I agree that he can't be written off if he doesn't make the team. Denis a good example of goalies that play for Canada and turn out... not so good, and a great example of a player on the flip side of that is Brodeur who turned out fine, I think :P

Irving has already picked it up and his save % is steadily climbing. Hes up to .910 now and back in the top 20 int he dub. Very impressive consdiering it was about .880 or so for almost the first 10 games. Hes been very, very good from November on and today was named to the selection camp for the world juniors.

Its alll about the name......he was penciled in since last year. If it was by stats he wouldnt be there!

Its alll about the name......he was penciled in since last year. If it was by stats he wouldnt be there!

not true at all. Irving struggled early, but outside of that bad first month has been one of the best goalies in the dub. Even currently, despite the first month where his save % was below 9, he is still ranked around all the other starters in the dub and is doing it behind a rookie head coach and a team that is struggling to find their way. Not to mention he was superb in the Canada/ Russia challenge where Sexsmith looked lost.

He desreves to be there plain and simple.

not true at all. Irving struggled early, but outside of that bad first month has been one of the best goalies in the dub. Even currently, despite the first month where his save % was below 9, he is still ranked around all the other starters in the dub and is doing it behind a rookie head coach and a team that is struggling to find their way. Not to mention he was superb in the Canada/ Russia challenge where Sexsmith looked lost.

He desreves to be there plain and simple.

There is a handful of goalies who have been better all year then Irving. Not just the last month or so.....They deserved it before him......IMO!

There is a handful of goalies who have been better all year then Irving. Not just the last month or so.....They deserved it before him......IMO!

Well, out of the 4 goalies at camp right now (Sexsmith, Bernier, Mason and Irving), Sexsmith has the best GAA, Mason has the best SV % and Irving is second in both categories while being on a definitely inferior team than either Sexsmith (Vancouver Giants) or Mason (London Knights). Bernier, as Cross said, isn't playing well atm.

Plus, Irvings got the most international experience out of ALL of the Canadian goaltenders in the CHL right now and that's a big plus, especially for a team that has only a few returning players.

Archived