Eric Nystrom

Maybe Nystrom should stay down in the minors for the rest of the season. He's becoming the second coming of Jeff Friesen... all speed and nothing else.

I'm not so sure that's a fair comparison. When was the last time Friesen got into a fight? And running away from Berube and then turtling doesn't count. Also, Nystrom plays harder and brings a lot more energy than Friesen did. That's a good thing for a player on the energy line. Last and certainly not least is the 180 degree difference in attitude between Friesen and Nystrom.

Bring up someone else who can score once in awhile.

Sounds great. Who would that be?

Grant Stevenson, perhaps?

It's too bad, since Nystrom's been a pretty big part of the PK before he got injured. I hope he'll be back on the team soon.

Nystrom's job isn't to provide offence, its to do what he had been donig. Stevenson isn't gonna be able to play a 3rd line role like Nystrom could. sure he may being a touch more offence, but he isn't gonna fight, isn't gonna be that physical, and isn't gonna be one of the better Pkers.

and comparing Nystrom to Frisen is not a fair comparison. Frisen was a top 6 winger would couldn't manage a bottom winger role becuase he has very little defensive awareness and next to no toughness. Nystrom is, and always has been, billed as a bottom 6 winger and is suited to that positioin. Very different players.

I hope Nystrom was only sent down to allow him to get his conditioning back and some time to get time in an offensive role and at the same time showcase some Flame verterns what they can do so their trade value increases somewhat (ex. Nilson, Primeau, Yelle)

I think Nystrom has been an excellent addition to the Flames big league team this year. He provides a certain quality that nobody else does on the 3rd/4th line. And, let's be fair, that's what he is and he accepts it.

1. He skates hard every shift

2. He is a fast skater

3. he is a strong skater (not to be confused with fats, he's strong on the boards, unlike Yelle, for example!)

4. He is willing to mix it up. He provides much needed toughness up front.

5. This is my intangible, but I think he will bring his old man's game to the play-off's. remember, Bob Nystrom was always known to eleveate his game come April. I think the kid has his dad's oldschool heart.

Give this kid a chance in the play-off's and watch out...he'll be like the second coming of Donovan in the 2004 cup run.

By the way, compariosns to Friesen are absolutely off base and totally unfair to a poor kid trying to carve out a spot for himslef with limited offfensive talent, but plenty of the heart and intangibles. Thanks for clearing that up Redslinger.

One last thought. How does one measure spirit in the room? Again, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing a young guy like Nystrom who's prepared to do whatever it takes to make the line-up and help win is a good spirit in the room and off the ice. By comparision, a veteran like Friesen, probably still felt he was the goal-scoring front line winger with hands and begrudingly accepted his role. In reality, he was probably just a cancer in the room....

I hope Nystrom was only sent down to allow him to get his conditioning back and some time to get time in an offensive role and at the same time showcase some Flame verterns what they can do so their trade value increases somewhat (ex. Nilson, Primeau, Yelle)

I think Nystrom has been an excellent addition to the Flames big league team this year. He provides a certain quality that nobody else does on the 3rd/4th line. And, let's be fair, that's what he is and he accepts it.

1. He skates hard every shift

2. He is a fast skater

3. he is a strong skater (not to be confused with fats, he's strong on the boards, unlike Yelle, for example!)

4. He is willing to mix it up. He provides much needed toughness up front.

5. This is my intangible, but I think he will bring his old man's game to the play-off's. remember, Bob Nystrom was always known to eleveate his game come April. I think the kid has his dad's oldschool heart.

Give this kid a chance in the play-off's and watch out...he'll be like the second coming of Donovan in the 2004 cup run.

By the way, compariosns to Friesen are absolutely off base and totally unfair to a poor kid trying to carve out a spot for himslef with limited offfensive talent, but plenty of the heart and intangibles. Thanks for clearing that up Redslinger.

One last thought. How does one measure spirit in the room? Again, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing a young guy like Nystrom who's prepared to do whatever it takes to make the line-up and help win is a good spirit in the room and off the ice. By comparision, a veteran like Friesen, probably still felt he was the goal-scoring front line winger with hands and begrudingly accepted his role. In reality, he was probably just a cancer in the room....

I spent a lot of time last year talking to him while he was out with an injury. He is a hell of a nice guy with a great attitude. He was picked higher then Moss out of school but Moss made the Flames faster. Nystrom never gave up and kept on fighting.

Archived