Eric Nystrom

I think that he deserves a shot. I saw him play some preseason games and a few NHL games and dhe didn't look bad. Definetly NHL calibre. I think they should let him, Boyd, Maki, Germyn, prust, battle it out for the LW and RW spots on the 4th line.

I think that he deserves a shot. I saw him play some preseason games and a few NHL games and dhe didn't look bad. Definetly NHL calibre. I think they should let him, Boyd, Maki, Germyn, prust, battle it out for the LW and RW spots on the 4th line.

He could be that one guy that if Sutter traded him he could go big elsewhere.Realy put him to the test in a game before they decide.I agree he is NHL calibre.

I think he is over-rated. He is touted because of who his dad is...he will never be as good as his old man!

I don't think anybody is suggesting he'll be as good as Bob. Who is overrating him exactly? Most of the talk I've seen has him as a 3rd/4th line NHL center eventually. If he turns into a Yelle type I'd be thrilled.

I don't think anybody is suggesting he'll be as good as Bob. Who is overrating him exactly? Most of the talk I've seen has him as a 3rd/4th line NHL center eventually. If he turns into a Yelle type I'd be thrilled.

Most people think he is ready for the next step...I don't. There are much better players in the system than him.

• 2 weeks later...

Nystrom is a never-was that comes from an absolutely BRUTAL draft class, right up there in mediocrity/awfulness as Krahn's draft class. If he EVER manages to crack an NHL squad as more than a fourth line PK player, I will be pleasantly suprised. He messed up his shoulder, was never all that fast when I saw him in pre-season, didn't have good offensive numbers in college, tell me, somebody, other than his father, what could have possibly made anyone think this player was a 1st-round calibre prospect?

Sutter mentioned in one of his recent interviews on the Fan960 that the only reason Nystrom didn't get called up last year was because of the cap hit...close to $2 million between salary and possible bonuses.

Sutter mentioned in one of his recent interviews on the Fan960 that the only reason Nystrom didn't get called up last year was because of the cap hit...close to $2 million between salary and possible bonuses.

Are you sure it wasn't because he was hurt the entire year??? Regardless of the cap he wouldn't have been able to play because he was out with a bum shoulder. Its hard to believe that he would be ready this year as well....if I'm not mistaken he didn't play in a lot of games after returning from injury. If Nystrom is resigned he'll be playing in Quad Cities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
He'll be given the opportunity to win a job in training camp. If he doesn't start the season in Calgary he has nobody to blame but himself.

I dont think hes anywhere near ready yet. Perhaps 2 years out. Forwards above him on the chart: Prust, Taratukhin, Chucko, Puustinen, Ryder, Boyd and Chucko. I think maybe after next year he'll crack the team...theyll be a lot more room then too with Conroy, Yelle, Nolan, Langkow and Huselius as all UFAs.

Eventually, I can see him in a 3rd line position in the long run (3-4 years from now) when our team looks something like this:

Tanguay Lombo Iggy

Boyd Taratukhin Moss

Nystrom Ryder Chucko

Prust Yelle Puustinen

Phaneuf Sarich

Regehr ?????

Gio Ramholt

Pelech

I dont think hes anywhere near ready yet. Perhaps 2 years out. Forwards above him on the chart: Prust, Taratukhin, Chucko, Puustinen, Ryder, Boyd and Chucko. I think maybe after next year he'll crack the team...theyll be a lot more room then too with Conroy, Yelle, Nolan, Langkow and Huselius as all UFAs.

Eventually, I can see him in a 3rd line position in the long run (3-4 years from now) when our team looks something like this:

Tanguay Lombo Iggy

Boyd Taratukhin Moss

Nystrom Ryder Chucko

Prust Yelle Puustinen

Phaneuf Sarich

Regehr ?????

Gio Ramholt

Pelech

He is definetly more ready than those that i bolded. IMo, Nystrom is NHL ready and would already been in teh NHL if he played on a different club. chuko has improved his speed, but he still doesn't use it well enough to be a player in the NHL yet. He also doesn't have the aggression Nysrom has.

Pustinen is not that close to the NHL. he lacks a defensive game, and while talented, has yet to prove that he can be consistant.

Nystrom has played pro hockey and done it well. i would actually argue he is more NHL ready than Boyd because he has the size to withstand NHL players where Boyd had yet to prove that.

I think if Nystrom has fully healed up, he's ahead of a guy like Prust on the depth chart... If I recall, he almost made the team out of training camp last year. I guess we won't know for sure until September - but that 4th line LW position may be his to lose.

He did, but it was result of an injury to I believe Nilson, but I could be wrong. Played 2 games and didn't look out of place.

He is definetly more ready than those that i bolded. IMo, Nystrom is NHL ready and would already been in teh NHL if he played on a different club. chuko has improved his speed, but he still doesn't use it well enough to be a player in the NHL yet. He also doesn't have the aggression Nysrom has.

Pustinen is not that close to the NHL. he lacks a defensive game, and while talented, has yet to prove that he can be consistant.

Nystrom has played pro hockey and done it well. i would actually argue he is more NHL ready than Boyd because he has the size to withstand NHL players where Boyd had yet to prove that.

Interesting. I just dont see him having enough offensive potential to make the team yet. Its great if a forward can play a good defensive game like Nystrom does. But he is a forward, and until he becomes more of a threat offensively, I cant see him cracking the team, which is why I put those players infront of him.

Boyd might not have the size, or the defensive game that Nystrom has. But he isnt a defensive liability, and he generates scoring changes, even while getting pushed around. For that reason, I see him as more NHL ready.

I wont argue with you about the other 2 though. Nystrom is likely more NHL ready than Puustinen and Chucko. He didnt play last seaosn, its hard for me to say. Ill take your word for it though, as your the one who wen to the prospect camp

Interesting. I just dont see him having enough offensive potential to make the team yet. Its great if a forward can play a good defensive game like Nystrom does. But he is a forward, and until he becomes more of a threat offensively, I cant see him cracking the team, which is why I put those players infront of him.

Boyd might not have the size, or the defensive game that Nystrom has. But he isnt a defensive liability, and he generates scoring changes, even while getting pushed around. For that reason, I see him as more NHL ready.

I wont argue with you about the other 2 though. Nystrom is likely more NHL ready than Puustinen and Chucko. He didnt play last seaosn, its hard for me to say. Ill take your word for it though, as your the one who wen to the prospect camp

Well Nystrom wasn't at the prospect camp, but all the rest you mentioned were and chucko impressed with his speed, but little else, and Pussitinen did not impress at all so thats why i really don't see them as close to NHL ready.

I agree with you about the offensive potential. Nystrom's is limited and that has alwasy been the knock on him since he was drafted. However, I think he has more than enough to play a depth role on the 3rd/4th line becasue he has some offensive potential, its just limited. to me, Nystrom really compares to a Nilson type player. Good skaters, with a solid physical and defensive game, but limited offensive potential, but could still put up 10 plus goals. thats what I see out of Nystrom.

You can definetly argue that boyd is more NHL ready and I wouldn't have much to argue on because its only my opinion. Boyd is NHL ready, but i just question if he can handle 82 games as he can get pushed around because his strength isn't quite at NHL level. the biggest knock I have on Boyd is that i don't think its the best for his development to bury him on the 3rd/4th lines when he is an offensive two way player that could potentially play top two lines in the future.

• 5 months later...
Has been sent back to AHL (for the moment, at least). http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/insideflames/archive/2008/01/23/thinking-outside-the-sandbox.aspx' target="_blank">Link[/post].

i like this. i wouldn't mind sending moss (maybe boyd down) during the break either. i say moss as, although i think he's been playing great the past few games since his long term injury, i think it will help bring him back upto game speed.

i'm guessing another week off just helps him heal that ankle even further, and maybe that's why he hasn't been sent down.

Archived