Quad City Flames

or averaging 4819 on three home games, after last nights friday night game with less then 3500 fans

wait until football season is over around dec the attend will pick up as long as the team starts to win. people in the qc wont support a losing team. Thats not me I will go either way but the majority wont go if they dont start winning

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wait until football season is over around dec the attend will pick up as long as the team starts to win. people in the qc wont support a losing team.

Right now the Flames are way down in the standings, and haven't won a home game since opening night. The schedule has them playing four games at home in the span of 5 days (Weds,Fri, Sat and Sun), which is never good for boosting attendance averages. Things had better turn around for this team on the ice quickly, because I sense fans are getting sick of watching the team lose nearly every home game they play.

Right now the Flames are way down in the standings, and haven't won a home game since opening night. The schedule has them playing four games at home in the span of 5 days (Weds,Fri, Sat and Sun), which is never good for boosting attendance averages. Things had better turn around for this team on the ice quickly, because I sense fans are getting sick of watching the team lose nearly every home game they play.

yeah they suck if they dont start winning they will have a real hard time bringing fans back. the best thing was all the big boys from clagary were watching when they got smoked 7-1 by chicago and last nights loss they have no offence what so ever and well they just are not playing very well right now

the best thing was all the big boys from clagary were watching when they got smoked 7-1 by chicago and last nights loss they have no offence what so ever and well they just are not playing very well right now

I don't know if Calgary will say, "Oh...its okay you guys are drawing the same attendance as Omaha did last year." The whole point of moving this fanchise was to increase the attendance, not keep it the same. I know money was a big deal with Omaha because the team had lost $4 million, and Calgary had to incur some of that debt. With this new agreement in the Quad Cities, most of the financial responsibility is shifted away from the parent organization. Whether that arrangement will pacify the "big boys" is an interesting question should the attendance continue to falter. Furthermore, if those poor numbers at the gate translate into huge losses for QC Sports Ventures, I'm not sure they'll have deep enough pockets to keep the Flames playing past 08-09.

I figured QC hockey fans would come out in big numbers to support AHL hockey. They certainly did on opening night. Where did all those folks suddenly go?

I don't know if Calgary will say, "Oh...its okay you guys are drawing the same attendance as Omaha did last year." The whole point of moving this fanchise was to increase the attendance, not keep it the same. I know money was a big deal with Omaha because the team had lost $4 million, and Calgary had to incur some of that debt. With this new agreement in the Quad Cities, most of the financial responsibility is shifted away from the parent organization. Whether that arrangement will pacify the "big boys" is an interesting question should the attendance continue to falter. Furthermore, if those poor numbers at the gate translate into huge losses for QC Sports Ventures, I'm not sure they'll have deep enough pockets to keep the Flames playing past 08-09.

I figured QC hockey fans would come out in big numbers to support AHL hockey. They certainly did on opening night. Where did all those folks suddenly go?

woah we are ranked higher than omaha last year in attendance besides its minor league hockey if the team doesnt win no one will come to the games. sorry that just the way it is. if the flames dont win the the qc just might not have ahl in a couple of year http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/11/05/sports/doc472ebb9387169644386853.txt' target="_blank">qc times about ken king in the qc click[/post]

woah we are ranked higher than omaha last year in attendance besides its minor league hockey if the team doesnt win no one will come to the games. sorry that just the way it is. if the flames dont win the the qc just might not have ahl in a couple of year http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/11/05/sports/doc472ebb9387169644386853.txt' target="_blank">qc times about ken king in the qc click[/post]

We might be ranked higher than Omaha was last year, but not by an encouraging margin (the 7,500 on opening night is what keeps that average from looking atrocious.) If the current trend of losing games in front of 2,600 fans continues...our attendance average will end up lower than Omaha's. On a positive note: I'd like to know how much in merchandise the Flames have taken in so far. Practically everyone at the game is wearing one of those $135 jerseys, myself included. Maybe the money they've taken in from merchandise sales is enough to offset their sub-par ticket sales.

Perhaps these posts are from ignorant sports fan wannabes who spend their time jacking around on the local paper forums. The Riverhawks are actually still around and will play in a bigger venue (Wharton) and better league (PBL) in January, so they didn't close down. Also, Flames admission is not $18 per ticket. Even the most expensive lower bowl ticket is only $16 on game-day and some tickets are just $5. Obviously, neither one of these "posters" had their facts straight.

...or maybe these "posts" were just all fake to begin with. A quick check of the latest posts at qctimes.com showed that none of the above "posts" appear anywhere on the paper's website. However, one post by a guy with the name "blazer" who still seems rather disgruntled about losing AHL hockey in Omaha did make an appearance. Hmmmm?!?! That name looks awfully familiar! Oh right....its the same guy who posted those phony comments on this thread never made by Quad City hockey fans.

sounds about right. what the people in omaha fail to realize that qcsv pays for everything but salries. so that means the calgary is not on the hook for anything the only thing i worry about is the qcsv not being able to hold up their end of the bargin. Which i think is highly doubtful. they are allready sched games for next year we will have the flames next year and the year after that. they will get better and they will make the playoffs they are just struggling right now. besides find a team that is going to sell out or have great attendance during that homestretch that they just had? at least we are not like lowell with attendance under a 1000 on a friday game

sounds about right. what the people in omaha fail to realize that qcsv pays for everything but salries. so that means the calgary is not on the hook for anything the only thing i worry about is the qcsv not being able to hold up their end of the bargin....

at least we are not like lowell with attendance under a 1000 on a friday game

Calgary has a sweet deal here which may buy QCSV some time the Ak-Sar-Ben organization did not have in Omaha. I feel sorry for the Omaha fans who lost this team, until I see posts like the one from "blazer". Then it makes me realize how thoroughly pathetic some of them are. I can understand being mad at Calgary's management, but to hurl insults at people in this area is just plain childish.

Regarding the attendance at Lowell Devils games: that is just plain shocking. I've heard this will be their last year then they'll move to Trenton, New Jersey. The Iowa Stars are struggling with attendance as well, which is very bizarre because the team was drawing decent crowds when they started a few years back. Rumors about the Stars moving to Austin, Texas in 2010 are swirling around Des Moines right now, which never helps in getting the local fans to buy tickets. At least the Stars got to play a couple of seasons before rumblings of their demise started. The Flames are one month into an inaugural season and some have already begun writing their obituary.

You said the QC Times in your first post. You mean QC Online...where you can post anonymously, or under a bunch of different aliases because they don't require user accounts to post comments. Nice try, but you seriously need to move on. There's still plenty of hockey to be watched in Omaha (the Lancers are 8-2 right now, the UNO Mavericks are 1-4 but drawing huge crowds at Qwest.) So, please don't worry about us hockey fans here in the "glorified cow pasture". We have a couple years to enjoy AHL hockey; maybe even more than that if the team can start winning games and people here start waking up to reality.

I'm sorry you lost a great team in Omaha, but I don't see how disparaging the Quad Cities is going to bring them back.

You said the QC Times in your first post. You mean QC Online...where you can post anonymously, or under a bunch of different aliases because they don't require user accounts to post comments. Nice try, but you seriously need to move on. There's still plenty of hockey to be watched in Omaha (the Lancers are 8-2 right now, the UNO Mavericks are 1-4 but drawing huge crowds at Qwest.) So, please don't worry about us hockey fans here in the "glorified cow pasture". We have a couple years to enjoy AHL hockey; maybe even more than that if the team can start winning games and people here start waking up to reality.

I'm sorry you lost a great team in Omaha, but I don't see how disparaging the Quad Cities is going to bring them back.

people from nebraska are so sad... first the cornhuskers bl0w and then they lose their ahl team. so then they take it out on the qc and put up negitive things. maybe they need to realize that here in the qc we did our homework and made a great deal that calgary wouldnt leave. you know like pay everything but player salaries. so that calgary doesnt lose 4 million while they are in that crap hole called omaha.

GET OVER IT YOU GUYS SUCK. YOU HAVE TWO OTHER TEAMS THAT YOU OUTDREW THE KNIGHTS WITH SO SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO BACK INTO YOUR HOLE!

GET OVER IT YOU GUYS SUCK. YOU HAVE TWO OTHER TEAMS THAT YOU OUTDREW THE KNIGHTS WITH SO SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO BACK INTO YOUR HOLE!

Now, now! Don't sink to their level of name-calling. My brother lives in Omaha and its a nice town, but some people need to stop blaming the Quad Cities for their misfortune.

Quad Cities Sports Ventures is taking a huge hit right now so we can enjoy AAA-level hockey. If QC hockey fans don't make an effort to support this team, we'll live to regret it. Should the AHL leave, I'm not too sure any other league would even want to test the waters here. Some of these disgruntled ex-Mallard fans are just as sad as the Omaha bunch. They're stuck in the past and won't let go of their stubborn pride.

Wow....

Take my word for it, most of us Knights fans are mad at the way Calgary handled this, not the QC. In fact, I admire the ownership group for standing up and taking such a financial risk-I wish someone had the courage to do that here. This was a no brainer for Calgary-I seriously wonder how many NHL franchises have such a low financial involvement or risk in their top developmental team. Maybe it's a lot of teams, don't know. All I know is that in Omaha they were a 51-49 partner in all hockey operations with the charity that partnered with them.

So far, I'm sure you're right, they are taking a bath financially right now and the QC better show up and the Flames better start playing better(in either order). There was a lot of financial outlay for the new owners at the beginning of this venture and with such cheap ticket prices it will take good attendance and/or some time to recoup it. I just hope Calgary gives you more time than us-I think they will, the QC is really financing the farm team for them and Calgary doesn't have much to lose-they are paying the players contracted salaries wherever they play.

I'll be there at the Iowa games and will probably make a trip to the QC for the San Antonio games in February.

One last thing-only the college team outdrew the Knights last year, the Knights outdrew the USHL team-we were the youngest franchise in town by many, many years(college team 10 years, USHL more than that) and were beginning to climb in popularity...and with tickets twice as expensive!!

Good luck and as always Go Flames(Knights)!!!!

Wow....

Take my word for it, most of us Knights fans are mad at the way Calgary handled this, not the QC.....

One last thing-only the college team outdrew the Knights last year, the Knights outdrew the USHL team-we were the youngest franchise in town by many, many years(college team 10 years, USHL more than that) and were beginning to climb in popularity...and with tickets twice as expensive!!

Good luck and as always Go Flames(Knights)!!!!

I understand why you would be mad at Calgary. They quietly snuck out the back door while telling Omaha Knights fans there was no need for worry. It was just "business" to them, but a terrible loss to the thousands of fans who did support AHL hockey in Omaha. I've been to Omaha and my brother currently lives there. It is a superb city which deserved much better treatment than it received from the Flames organization.

Having said that, I'm glad that Calgary saw the potential for AHL hockey here in the Quad Cities. Unfortunately, it has not lived up to that potential (yet!) But with some wins and a little more time for the Mallard folks to get over their anger, I hope we can prove Calgary right for having given us this great opportunity. Quad City Sports Ventures deserves most of the credit, though. They're assuming an unbelievable amount of risk, simply in the hopes of bringing some excitement to hockey fans like myself. Its a shame that more people in this community are not supporting their efforts.

Maybe Omaha was turning the corner on attendance, but I guess we'll never know for sure. I just hope fans in the Quad Cities realize this team is an asset and will start showing up in bigger numbers. If not, Omaha's loss was all in vain and the bitter taste of disappointment will again be experienced by those of us who cherish the presence of AHL hockey.

The Flames got it done tonight, and their upcoming schedule is promising for the next three games. Lake Erie is a team we can definitely compete with, and we've already beat Grand Rapids on their home ice. If we can take two out of those three, suddenly things don't look so bleak. The attendance was still disappointing; a little over 3,200 but I'm hopeful that will turn around by January. GO FLAMES!!!

The QC Flames are on a modest winning streak and have some momentum for the first time this season. Their 3-1 win this afternoon at Grand Rapids in front of 7,500+ shows our team is gaining confidence. Over the last three games, the Flames have allowed a total of just four goals. If they can keep playing defense like that while steadily improving on offense, this team could top the .500 mark long before playoff time rolls around. GO FLAMES!

Should help offensivly and also make up for Ryder's departure.

Kolanos has some considerable NHL experience and should add the kind of offensive punch this team has been lacking. I see he spent part of last year with Grand Rapids and over in the Swiss-A league. This could be the missing piece QC needs to break the .500 barrier.

Kolanos has some considerable NHL experience and should add the kind of offensive punch this team has been lacking. I see he spent part of last year with Grand Rapids and over in the Swiss-A league. This could be the missing piece QC needs to break the .500 barrier.

well his stats from hockeydb.com show that hes not a bad player but just doesnt stay with a team for long for some reason.

well his stats from hockeydb.com show that hes not a bad player but just doesnt stay with a team for long for some reason.

He has a history of concussions and one very serious concussion. he hasn't been the same since. He missed alot of time and the concussions seem to affect the way he think and his confidence so he is pretty inconsistant and also iffy at upper levels. However, i'm thinking he should do well in the A.

Apparently Kolanos has been signed to a one-way AHL contract, meaning Calgary's salary cap is unaffected by this move. The QC Flames ownership signed him solely for the purpose of making the team more competitive in the AHL. I don't believe he can be called up by Calgary, because his contract is exclusively with Quad City Sports Ventures who owns the QC Flames. (The QC Times has more info: http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/11/14...6385573642.txt)

I hope the injury situation is behind him. The Flames are looking better every game, and this latest move should bolster an offense that is really starting to gel.

Apparently Kolanos has been signed to a one-way AHL contract, meaning Calgary's salary cap is unaffected by this move. The QC Flames ownership signed him solely for the purpose of making the team more competitive in the AHL. I don't believe he can be called up by Calgary, because his contract is exclusively with Quad City Sports Ventures who owns the QC Flames. (The QC Times has more info: http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/11/14...6385573642.txt)

I hope the injury situation is behind him. The Flames are looking better every game, and this latest move should bolster an offense that is really starting to gel.

calgary can still ask for him but they would have to sign him to a pto or just sign him to a two way contract

calgary can still ask for him but they would have to sign him to a pto or just sign him to a two way contract

Calgary doens't really have a whole lot of interest in him. He was brought into main camp and was virtually invisible and not impressive. They figured he woudl give them a veteran presence on the A but he chose to pursue another NHL job before relegating himself to the A.

Archived