Dan Ryder

He has a very bright future but he needs to play pro before he jumps straight into the NHL. Everyone can see that he's got fantastic potental but just because a player tears it up in the minor leagues it does not mean that he'll tear it up in the NHL. Give him at last one year in the AHL for him to polish his game before he jumps into the big leagues.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has a very bright future but he needs to play pro before he jumps straight into the NHL. Everyone can see that he's got fantastic potental but just because a player tears it up in the minor leagues it does not mean that he'll tear it up in the NHL. Give him at last one year in the AHL for him to polish his game before he jumps into the big leagues.

What he^ said.

The NHL is MUCH different from Major Junior. The AHL is a nice way to transition between the two. The problem with Ryder, from what I can see from a distance, is his defensive game. That's usually the problem with kids coming out of Junior.

At this point it's not clear to me that he will ever be a regular NHLer, nevermind a star. He's got a lot of work to do on his defense, intensity, physical game and skating before he can make an impact in the NHL. Guys like Nystrom, Boyd and Prust are much further ahead and will almost certainly make the jump to the NHL before Ryder.

Keep in mind that Michael Ryder spent several years in the AHL before joining the Habs. Even so, his skating and defense are still suspect.

How about Daniel Ryder's skating? If he can't skate, he's not going to get far if his defence is as suspect as mentioned. Daniel Tkaczuk should be the poster boy for highly-touted prospects who've flopped b/c they look like they're skating in mud.

A deceptive skater, Ryder was always impressive defensively and was a fixture on the penalty kill.

That's a quote from hockeyfutures.com. I sometimes question how accurate they are, but according to them he is "impressive defensively". They also have a quote from a scout on that page that says:

he

• 2 weeks later...
That's a quote from hockeyfutures.com. I sometimes question how accurate they are, but according to them he is "impressive defensively". They also have a quote from a scout on that page that says:

Unfortunately we do not get a chance to see enough Junior games IMO, so I have to turn to sites like this to provide me with information. I hope they are legit, and are posting accurate information.

Being impressive defensively in Junior means very little when applied to his NHL potential. Same goes for skating.

sutters rule is to play in the CHL or whatever league then go to the AHL without being called up and then maybe get your chance at the NHL.

Sutter's philosophy is to let players play in juniors/minors until they are ready to play. If they are ready they will be given a shot. If they arn't they won't be rushed. Its the most successful way to control and develope a team's prospects.

• 3 months later...
Sutter's philosophy is to let players play in juniors/minors until they are ready to play. If they are ready they will be given a shot. If they arn't they won't be rushed. Its the most successful way to control and develope a team's prospects.

I heard Ryder was sent home from training camp. Does anyone know if this is true.

Ryder's definitely not ready to play in the NHL. Nowhere near ready. He'll get a chance to work on his defense and skating once he hits Quad City though and maybe (if he improves quickly enough), he could make the jump to the NHL in a couple of years.

Although, all I ever heard about him really was how he's better than his brother was during this stage of his career. If we end of getting a slightly better version of Michael Ryder for a 3rd round pick, I'll be more than pleased...

Ryder's definitely not ready to play in the NHL. Nowhere near ready. He'll get a chance to work on his defense and skating once he hits Quad City though and maybe (if he improves quickly enough), he could make the jump to the NHL in a couple of years.

Although, all I ever heard about him really was how he's better than his brother was during this stage of his career. If we end of getting a slightly better version of Michael Ryder for a 3rd round pick, I'll be more than pleased...

He is a better version of his brother from a skill perspective, but people shouldn't get too excited about that (this is not directed to you). What made Michael Ryder able to make the jump to the NHL was his sound all around game and that he is a finisher. Finishers are easier to develop because it is easier for them to adjust to different speeds in different leagues. Dan Ryder is more of a playmaker, with finishing ability, and thus needs more work than his brother and also making it tough to compare to him to his brother.

Howeve, provided Ryder keeps a positive work ethic and attitude, he should be in the NHL at some point and hopefully as a 2nd line center, but that may be a bit optimistic.

So apparently Ryder was excused from camp. Also apparently there are rumours out there that he's quitting hockey for good due to personal reasons. Now, we don't post rumours about player's personal lives, but I hope for Ryder's sake it's nothing serious and I hope for the Flames sake he comes back.

This is as per Rob Kerr.

So apparently Ryder was excused from camp. Also apparently there are rumours out there that he's quitting hockey for good due to personal reasons. Now, we don't post rumours about player's personal lives, but I hope for Ryder's sake it's nothing serious and I hope for the Flames sake he comes back.

This is as per Rob Kerr.

So was he at training camp the last two days or is he home in Newfounland? Can some one that knows for sure tell me.

:wacko:

This is as per Rob Kerr.

I'm not liking how it seems like all of our rookies are dropping like flies. Hopefully those rumours are false, I wouldn't want to lose a potentially decent NHLer...

This is as per Rob Kerr.

<Check's calendar...nope, not April 1st> Son of a <bleep>!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As per Rob Kerr and the Fan 960.

Dan Ryder has been suspended by the Quad City Flames for leaving the team without permission. He is no longer on the roster, and I'm afraid this is the last we'll likely see of Dan Ryder. It was rumored in the summer he was contemplating quitting hockey, missed two camps, and now looks like the decision has finally come. although I am speculating, but I just don't why else you suddenly up and leave a team.

Archived