Andrew Basha - Somehow 41st overall in 2024 draft

Happy to have him. Transition players are key in the NHL these days and the Flames lacked that in their system and Basha is really good at that. 

Steal, not for me. Undersized, older/late birthday, and so/so d zone game and you'll fall out of the first round all the time with that. Thought he was good value for where they got him.  I thought a team might have moved ahead of the Flames to get him though so was happy when that didn't happen. 

Reminds me a lot of Andrew Mangiapane. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Happy to have him. Transition players are key in the NHL these days and the Flames lacked that in their system and Basha is really good at that. 

Steal, not for me. Undersized, older/late birthday, and so/so d zone game and you'll fall out of the first round all the time with that. Thought he was good value for where they got him.  I thought a team might have moved ahead of the Flames to get him though so was happy when that didn't happen. 

Reminds me a lot of Andrew Mangiapane. 

To be fair, he's the same weight as Tij Iginla with a lower center of gravity.  He's younger, taller, and heavier/stronger than Mangiapane at that stage.

Not that there would be anything wrong with getting a Mangiapane in the 2nd round.    Just don't see how his size would knock him down like that, he's not a small kid and not smaller than many taken top 10.    Defensively, I can see how was bumped down a bit yeah.  But again, teachable.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

To be fair, he's the same weight as Tij Iginla with a lower center of gravity.  He's younger, taller, and heavier/stronger than Mangiapane at that stage.

Not that there would be anything wrong with getting a Mangiapane in the 2nd round.    Just don't see how his size would knock him down like that, he's not a small kid and not smaller than many taken top 10.    Defensively, I can see how was bumped down a bit yeah.  But again, teachable.

I think any prospect under 6 foot is fighting an up hill battle at the draft in terms of being a first round pick. Not saying it's right/wrong just I think it's the reality. Yes Catton and Cellebrini went top 10 but they are more the exception and both bring a lot more to the table than Basha. Ceilings are significantly higher in both those players IMO. 

Think it was a combination of things that led to him being in the 2nd round. I was a bit surprised he wasn't' a late first rounder but your splitting hairs there quite a bit in a draft like this too. 

Like I said happy to have him and really happy with the pick. Just think "steal" is a unfair to put on him. 

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I just think teams have bigger needs than a one dimensional LHS LW who tops out as a 2nd liner at the NHL level.  But I mean, value wise, I like where we got him because I think he's too talented to not make the NHL.  Will we need a 2nd line LHS LW in the future?  Debatable, but I do think he's NHL bound in the future.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I just think teams have bigger needs than a one dimensional LHS LW who tops out as a 2nd liner at the NHL level.  But I mean, value wise, I like where we got him because I think he's too talented to not make the NHL.  Will we need a 2nd line LHS LW in the future?  Debatable, but I do think he's NHL bound in the future.

Maybe some teams thought this and maybe that's why he dropped?   But I think they are very likely wrong, and, ultimately, he's too young to really know these things.   They are all teachables.

He has scoring, playmaking, checking, speed, energy, transition..... like straight up.   So, I can say quite confidently he's not one-dimensional.   His talent is 1st-round talent.    

Things he might not have:

1.  defensive play - highly teachable

2.  6'0 height:   to me this is borderline irrelevant.  He's strong, he's got weight, and he's literally just one inch off of 6'0.   
                     If we were to look at the success rates of players his height and weight transitioning to the NHL, it would be almost identical to 6'0 players.

A nonsense evaluation if you ask me.   5'6? okay.
3.  He's older for his year.

In a nutshell, neither #1 nor #2 concern me at his age.  Like, not at all.    Four years from now, the defensive play will matter.  He's got 4 years to work on that.  But its not like it will define his value.  If he's high scoring and bad at defence we just trade him and get our value out of him.

#3:   I think it is over-weighted.   What matters more is how many more years he improves at this rate.   He made massive jumps the last few years.   If he continues to do that he will have massive success.  If he doesn't, he won't.     Measuring him by months has little to no actual predictive value on whether he will continue his trajectory for 0,1,2, or 3 years.    He plateaus when he plateaus and trying to guess that by comparing birth-months is just only slightly better than voodoo.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well, I think if he were to top out at a top 6 LW, that would pretty much be a huge win.  Odd of getting anything close to that outside the first round are slim.  Would you be upset if Zary tops out at that?  

On 8/10/2024 at 8:59 AM, travel_dude said:

Well, I think if he were to top out at a top 6 LW, that would pretty much be a huge win.  Odd of getting anything close to that outside the first round are slim.  Would you be upset if Zary tops out at that?  

I totally get the LW thing, I really do, but I'm with you on this.   And yeah, there is an element of similar talent with RHS getting bumped up, causing him to go 2nd round, and that's fair.   A least sort of fair.

For sure he is just as good as some mid first-round RHS players in this draft, and that was a factor.   

But like, the Flames got their RHS guys.   Full marks there, we did fine on the RHS.    Now there's a guy if similar ability available in 2nd round?  Yeah you take that.   

Like said here, he seems at least NHL bound.   Not many 2nd rounders do, really.    I would call top 6 a win and I think the odds are favorable.  I also think if he has another jump like he did the last two years, that we would be talking first line projections.

Talent is there, trajectory is there, quite honestly so is size and speed.

Not bad for a local kid.

The Basha pick followed the theme of the Flames draft, which I believe was value at each spot. Really liked the Basha, Mews and Misa picks, in particular. 

Medicine Hat  is gonna be really good this season. Basha should get a deep playoff run, which is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Basha pick followed the theme of the Flames draft, which I believe was value at each spot. Really liked the Basha, Mews and Misa picks, in particular. 

Medicine Hat  is gonna be really good this season. Basha should get a deep playoff run, which is never a bad thing.

Zary was brought up as an example at one point earlier.  Right there, I think point made.   There are some real comparables between Basha and Zary.  Yet Basha was taken 20 spots later in the draft.    So yeah.   Good value indeed.

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Zary was brought up as an example at one point earlier.  Right there, I think point made.   There are some real comparables between Basha and Zary.  Yet Basha was taken 20 spots later in the draft.    So yeah.   Good value indeed.

The one push back I would have with Zary, he was the top line centre that year and while Kamloops was very good at that time, they didn’t have a Lindstrom or McKenna. Think that really helps Basha’s stat line.

• Like 1