Zayne Parekh 2024 1st round pick- 9th Overall

Fantastic pick.  Absolutely fantastic.

There is an element of risk, and also that intangible "special player" quality which comes with Parekh.

We need those players, even if we have to accept a little risk with it.     A bunch of defencemen were picked after him which the Flames could have selected, who are almost certain to have long NHL careers.   Parekh isn't that.  He may never play an NHL game.   But he's got a better chance of  being a difference-maker in the Stanley cup finals than anyone else the Flames could have picked.

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Does he go back to OHL this year?

Will he make the 2024 World Juniors for Team Canada?

Yes. 

I’ll say yes but im not sure it’s a slam dunk. Hockey Canada sometime gets funny with dmen like Parekh. 

I think the Flames will give Parekh a long look, but he ends up back in Saginaw. Not a bad thing, the Spirit will still be a very good team. They've got projected top ten pick Michael Misa. 

I'm really interested to see him at main camp. There's a chance he's the best option for PP1.

Where it really gets interesting is the 25/26 season. Parekh would still be ineligible for the AHL. It's either OHL or NHL at that point. It's likely he's outgrown the O after 24/25.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the Flames will give Parekh a long look, but he ends up back in Saginaw. Not a bad thing, the Spirit will still be a very good team. They've got projected top ten pick Michael Misa. 

I'm really interested to see him at main camp. There's a chance he's the best option for PP1.

Where it really gets interesting is the 25/26 season. Parekh would still be ineligible for the AHL. It's either OHL or NHL at that point. It's likely he's outgrown the O after 24/25.

I suppose the good thing is we can start graduating from the AHL as early as this year.

Solo and maybe Poirier.

Brz in 25.

Morin and Parekh are closer together so maybe both in 25.

It's going to be tough, but we may trade from strength.

I watched Saginaw 10-15 times last season. I’ll certainly watch them more this year.

Hoping to see Misa play more centre this year. Think that could really cement him as a top three or four pick. He’s an Exceptional Status kid, he’s going to get over-scouted. Finished 2nd in scoring on the Memorial Cup champs in his draft-1 season. Impressive. I don’t think he’s a “generational” talent, but still a very good prospect. Have to wait until 2026 for that, McKenna is the real deal, Bedard level prospect. 

A good point from Aaron Vickers today on 960.

Parekh's point totals are likely going to decrease this season. 

Through no fault of his own. Context will be important.

- Saginaw's season starts September 25. The Flames preseason starts September 22. I expect the Flames to keep Parekh around until deep in training camp. Wouldn't be a shock if he misses the first five games of Saginaw's season.
- Parekh will likely be invited to the WJC camp for Canada. There's another 5+ games he will miss.

The point totals will diminish, simply because Parekh won't be spending as much time in Saginaw this year. Not that it matters. The goal for this season should be for Parekh to develop other aspects of his game, rather than chasing 100pts.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

- Saginaw's season starts September 25. The Flames preseason starts September 22. I expect the Flames to keep Parekh around until deep in training camp. Wouldn't be a shock if he misses the first five games of Saginaw's season.
- Parekh will likely be invited to the WJC camp for Canada. There's another 5+ games he will miss.

The point totals will diminish, simply because Parekh won't be spending as much time in Saginaw this year. Not that it matters. The goal for this season should be for Parekh to develop other aspects of his game, rather than chasing 100pts.

You also don't score 33 goals without a bunch of luck. No guarantees that repeats. 

Won't matter to me and really shouldn't matter to anyone. As you say plenty of other areas to work on his game we know his offense will be there. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not that I really care if he gets 100 or not.

I am more concerned that he doesn't stagnate after a breaktrhough season.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Personally when I'm looking at stats, point totals is like...one of the very last and least important things I look at.

Points, to begin with, are a team thing and not just a player thing.  Very hard to isolate a player from points.

Secondly, when I am looking at points, I'm looking at points per game.  Not the total.

So I have no idea why anyone would even bring it up lol

Things more important, from an offense point of view:

goals

goals per game

goals per game in the PLAYOFFS.

Anyone who thinks he is going to disappoint offensively as the quarterback for Mr. Misa in his draft year, is not getting it.

He's not going to disappoint...he ...can't.    The questions are:

-How Much will he impress?

-Will he have the ability to elevate his game in playoff/tournament hockey?

-Will he show early signs of developing a complete game?

-Will he show early signs of developing leadership?

I never give much weight to tournament hockey as the players have very little time to gel.

Most anyone can get hot for a short tournament.

Play-off hockey, developing a complete 200' game, and leadership skills are all much more important to me.

I don't care in the least if Parekh reaches 100 points in the OHL.

I just want to see him continue to develop his overall skills.

From the little I have seen so far, he certainly appears to be a very intelligent and motivated person.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Hardest thing to find: High IQ RD.

I'm 1/3 of the way there.

High IQ - um ah

RHS - yup, I'm a weird RH that shoots right

RD - well if I was good at the hockey and liked skating backwards, maybe

I wonder sometimes how many RHS are actually southpaws.

If I didn't know better, I would swear that the split between LHS and RHS is the same as righties vs southpaws (the ones the nuns couldn't beat out the devil).

That last comments is coutesy of my RC spouce. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interview on Parekh, with comments from his junior coach who is also an asst with Canada, at the summer showcase. https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/flames-prospect-parekh-aims-to-impress-hockey-canada-with-creativity~2968598

mentions how he is trying to put on weight and talks about how his style of game at the camp. 

During the Red-White game last night he was on the 3rd pairing but 1st PP unit. That gives a lot of insight to his game right now i'd say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Interview on Parekh, with comments from his junior coach who is also an asst with Canada, at the summer showcase. https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/flames-prospect-parekh-aims-to-impress-hockey-canada-with-creativity~2968598

mentions how he is trying to put on weight and talks about how his style of game at the camp. 

During the Red-White game last night he was on the 3rd pairing but 1st PP unit. That gives a lot of insight to his game right now i'd say. 

he can borrow some of my weight if he wants.   with regards to putting on weight, I would say that I am at an elite level.