GDT Jan 23 Flames @ Blues Last minute GDT

584e8a8f9eadffc4bf6cfa3fa5ca0499.png

I'm pretty sure we can all look back on this game as the dividing line between us being a wildcard capable team or something less.

Counting the teams we are tied with, we now have 5 teams and maybe 6 that we need to jump past to get a final wild card spot. Also instead of 1 or 2 points back(had we won) we are a full 4 points back now and everyone except Nashville and Minny have games at hand on us.

Every time we play some nice games.. and even when some of our losses are good games we drop back to .500.    .500 won't cut it this year. Need .600 or better to go to any show.

Still I am happy to see my Flames playing better than I saw at the start of this season. I have hope for next year and the near future after that.

From now until the trade deadline should be interesting. I think our GM is sitting on some decent trade offers but wanting to see what we have. I am thinking there have been some rookies playing to see what we have and there have been discussions about some of them that might be involved in a big trade.

Go Flames....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

584e8a8f9eadffc4bf6cfa3fa5ca0499.png

I'm pretty sure we can all look back on this game as the dividing line between us being a wildcard capable team or something less.

Counting the teams we are tied with, we now have 5 teams and maybe 6 that we need to jump past to get a final wild card spot. Also instead of 1 or 2 points back(had we won) we are a full 4 points back now and everyone except Nashville and Minny have games at hand on us.

Every time we play some nice games.. and even when some of our losses are good games we drop back to .500.    .500 won't cut it this year. Need .600 or better to go to any show.

Still I am happy to see my Flames playing better than I saw at the start of this season. I have hope for next year and the near future after that.

From now until the trade deadline should be interesting. I think our GM is sitting on some decent trade offers but wanting to see what we have. I am thinking there have been some rookies playing to see what we have and there have been discussions about some of them that might be involved in a big trade.

Go Flames....

Deeds, you are one of the last bus members still sounding at all hopeful.

I was there until the first two losses last week.

A 600 record for the rest of the season gets us 89 points.

I don't think that is a WC team.  

Earlier this month, I would have suggested that 91 might be enough.

I think that has changed.

A 700 record gets us 96, which should be enough. But we haven't had any stretch like that.

I often see people comment that the Flames never play a full 60 minute game.

I would counter that I have seldom seen any NHL team play full out for an entire game.

It is simply impossible to sustain that level of play for an entire 82 game schedule and the play-offs.

There will always be some lapses during games and even the very best teams can occasionally lose focus for entire games against mediocre opponents.

This is why no NHL team has ever won more than 65 games in a season.

8 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I often see people comment that the Flames never play a full 60 minute game.

I would counter that I have seldom seen any NHL team play full out for an entire game.

It is simply impossible to sustain that level of play for an entire 82 game schedule and the play-offs.

There will always be some lapses during games and even the very best teams can occasionally lose focus for entire games against mediocre opponents.

This is why no NHL team has ever won more than 65 games in a season.

Look at last night's game as an example of "not playing a full 60".  The first 8 minutes was trash.  By every standard, this was not what you expect from a team desperate to start winning games.  It's not about sustaining play in the late stages of a period, it's about pushing the play.  

We are letting in far too many goals at the end or beginning of periods.  Somehow, we are using a D in the final minute that hadn't played much since the last goal he was on for.  You only trust a guy for 11 minutes the rest of the game and he is your last minute sub?  This was the logic when we are looking to head to OT.  

We have had some really bad 2nd periods and the goal differential is there to prove it.  But we are losing games in the first and third all too often.  Start well and end well if you can't play a "full 60".  

Bottom line, lets just face it, "Were not that good"!

This team needs a rebuild however you want to define that in todays NHL.

I feel this team has some great potential with the younger stars coming in (and we do have some great ones), we just need to make some trades, look at our overall coaching staff and buy some time.

This isn't the year, I've said somewhere from the start of the season we are a bubble team and even if we were to make playoffs we would be very lucky to get past any first round.

Flames fans forever here and looking forward to next year with new faces.

Conroy's dealing lets hoping he shuffles the deck in our favour.

22 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Bottom line, lets just face it, "Were not that good"!

This team needs a rebuild however you want to define that in todays NHL.

I feel this team has some great potential with the younger stars coming in (and we do have some great ones), we just need to make some trades, look at our overall coaching staff and buy some time.

This isn't the year, I've said somewhere from the start of the season we are a bubble team and even if we were to make playoffs we would be very lucky to get past any first round.

Flames fans forever here and looking forward to next year with new faces.

Conroy's dealing lets hoping he shuffles the deck in our favour.

We have some good pieces that would make us a really good team.

But half of the roster doesn't fit the other half.

Slow players with fast ones.

Two way C on the top line.

A former 35 goal scorer on a defensive line.

Marginal NHL D stinking up the ice.

The change to zone defense hasn't improved us at all.

We are mid pack in scoring but have 4 more against than for, so bottom 12.

They are all plus players.

We don't have the right players for Huberdeau.

He is always standing still.

The top line is all minus players, minus 8 to 13.

So, when your top and bottom lines are all minus players, that says something.

I think there is a fine line between not playing 60. There is a difference where you know a team is engaged opposed to not being engaged. I don't expect a team to push the whole game, as games have ebbs and flows. One team pushes and the other holds off then has a push. I find that to be the difference. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think there is a fine line between not playing 60. There is a difference where you know a team is engaged opposed to not being engaged. I don't expect a team to push the whole game, as games have ebbs and flows. One team pushes and the other holds off then has a push. I find that to be the difference. 

Yeah, that's sorta what I was looking to say.

We didn't appear to have any answer in the first 8 minutes.