Flames Core is ?

DirtyDeeds

I don’t think there really is a current core to build around. There are multiple pieces who could be used as a core, but it depends on what kind of team you are building.

Fast, transition team:

Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Hanifin, Weegar, Anderson, Dube, Kylington. We also have prospects that fit this style.

Puck control, opportunistic, D focus:

Backlund, Lindholm, Tanev, Coleman, Markstrom.

Kadri isn’t a particular style, he will always be himself and do his own thing regardless of team style.

I just don’t think the team has a specific make up. Treliving was handcuffed somewhat by Sutter wanting a very different style and so the mix of players wasn’t/ isn’t what was needed.

I think that, if Connie wants the fast, transition team, that win or lose it will be exciting to watch. The Sutter style, physical, defensive control is only fun if you are winning.

If the Hanifin rumours are true, trade him to get a good position, quick skating, puck moving D and re-sign Stetcher. If you can save cap, and get a draft pick as well, then great.

If Backlund gets moved, that is said, because he has been a good soldier and has done good things for the team. Any player coming back would need to be mid 20s with good speed. Expect a middle 6 level player on a good contract.

If you move Lindholm, not sure who would replace him. 

So really, Andersson for me is the only real “core” piece. All others play important roles, but are only as important as the system they play in requires.

• Like 1

I'm really interested to see how Kylington plays when he returns.

I still think that he has a higher ceiling than what we've seen to date.

When they were first drafted in 2015, I felt that Kylington and Andersson had the potential to be the Flames future top D pairing.

Other than the players on long term contracts with NMCs (Huberdeau and Kadri), The only forwards that I envision still being with the team in 5 years would be Dube and Ruzicka.

They are both still young enough to continue their improvement and the fact that they can both play at all 3 forward positions makes them versatile.

I feel that Ruzicka has shed most of his inconsistency issues, I think that he just needs to be played regularly, which he was not given the opportunity to do under 2 seasons of Sutter.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is much choice.  We have a handful of top NHL players signed long term and zero elite prospects.  That makes our core Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Andersson, and Markstrom.  Lindholm and Backlund can be added to the list assuming they are here next season. 

16 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I don't think there is much choice.  We have a handful of top NHL players signed long term and zero elite prospects.  That makes our core Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Andersson, and Markstrom.  Lindholm and Backlund can be added to the list assuming they are here next season. 

keep an eye out for Honzek, Coronato, Poirier, Wolf, Kylington.

One or two of them are going to end up in our core soon.  We just don't know which ones yet.   Likewise, a couple of the players you mentioned are probably not going to be in our core soon.