my suggested line up.

Craig Viau

Here is how you force Sutter's hand. You trade Blake Coleman then you field this team

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Tofolli

Peletier - Kadri - Phillips

Magiapane - Backlund - Duehr

Ruzicka - Dube - Coranato

Zary as your 13th

With even 1 injury Sutter has to play 6 rookies. Or you can play Zary on the 4th and move things around

No Ritchie, No Lewis, No Lucic, No big slow players with cold hands. I frankly don't care if they lose every game make it a 7-6 loss and it will still be worth watching rather than the agonizing thing we saw this year. You don't bring in another player either. Unless he's a fast, high scoring rookie and good luck finding more of those.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I hope that you're not relying on it.lol

Just for fun, let's say BT left because he was told to extend Lucic and Lewis:)

I think Lucic is done with Calgary.  Maybe wants to play, but more like Reaves, not all the time.

Lewis is again in the 35+ contract state.  Yeah, Sutter wants him back.

Lucic said in his interview that he still wants to play.  He said he still feels healthy.  But boy, he's a step behind now. He's a defensive liability for once in his career.

Lucic said he's happy the weight of his contract is off his shoulders so I feel he would be okay to sign for way less.. probably Reeves-money at $1.8-mil or so.

But still, I don't think we should bring him back.  Lucic made no indication the Flames made him an offer to stay.  He hinted he will see what's out there and basically said goodbye to Calgary in the nicest way possible.

Wish him the best.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lucic said in his interview that he still wants to play.  He said he still feels healthy.  But boy, he's a step behind now. He's a defensive liability for once in his career.

Lucic said he's happy the weight of his contract is off his shoulders so I feel he would be okay to sign for way less.. probably Reeves-money at $1.8-mil or so.

But still, I don't think we should bring him back.  Lucic made no indication the Flames made him an offer to stay.  He hinted he will see what's out there and basically said goodbye to Calgary in the nicest way possible.

Wish him the best.

If the rumors were true, we already had that discussion in the early part of the season.  It didn't go anywhere then, so I doubt it goes further now.  I read into his comments that he wants to wait till he hears offers from other places.  He wants to play every day and contribute to a cup contending team.  He knows he's a role player, but I doubt he wants to just play 20 games when they need a nuke option.  

There is no room for a 82 game Lucic here.  Sure, we could use a 20 game Lucic.  But, you can't play him against fast teams and roll him like a 4th line F against any scoring lines.

Friedman alluded to this, but apparently one of the points of discussion with Sutter is around vets like Lucic. The message being that if you want to come back fine but we are not signing these types of players and you are going to have make due with what WE give you. No more security blankets. 

The silence from him after the season makes me wonder if discussion like this have some validity to them. I know Sutter will get out of talking to the media/fans at almost all cost, but it's pretty rare to not hear from a coach after a season. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Friedman alluded to this, but apparently one of the points of discussion with Sutter is around vets like Lucic. The message being that if you want to come back fine but we are not signing these types of players and you are going to have make due with what WE give you. No more security blankets. 

The silence from him after the season makes me wonder if discussion like this have some validity to them. I know Sutter will get out of talking to the media/fans at almost all cost, but it's pretty rare to not hear from a coach after a season. 

You mean ownership talking to Sutter directly about rosters?

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

That's very interesting.  The only time a GM doesn't speak is when they are about to be fired the next day.  But that would be the day after being eliminated.  Anyway, I hope that what the rumor is saying is true.  More so, I hope they actually make decisions for the good of the team, not because owners did this or that.

This is a critical off-season and the less the owners have to say about the direction of the team, the better.  I'm hoping for a fresh voice, not just getting a list of things the GM has to keep in mind.  Make the hard decisions and live with the results.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Oof still though.  The new GM should decide.  No one should have talked to Sutter yet about specific players or even the type of team the new GM feels he needs.

The way I interpreted this, is the context is around seeing if Sutter even wants to come back or gauging if he is willing to change how he operates. I think that conversation should be had as part of a normal year end conversation and doesn't require a "new" GM.