GDT - FLAMES @ Preds - Monday 16 January 2023 - 6PM MT

rocketdoctor

It's beyond time to go Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube.

Dube keeps tracking down pucks, always back to the blue line because his fwds have no idea that they should get open when he gets on the hunt. Consistently getting the puck and Toffoli's never anywhere to be found because he's a snail.

Forget Lucic, it's not like he wins enough board battles to matter.

Try Pelletier with Kadri-Toffoli and don't put the 1,000lbs paralysis leash on him.

Hopefully we're playing our consistent best for the final 20 games, we're gonna need it.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Dube keeps tracking down pucks, always back to the blue line because his fwds have no idea that they should get open when he gets on the hunt. Consistently getting the puck and Toffoli's never anywhere to be found because he's a snail.

Try Pelletier with Kadri-Toffoli and don't put the 1,000lbs paralysis leash on him.

Hopefully we're playing our consistent best for the final 20 games, we're gonna need it.

The points are there and their game is mostly solid to pretty good but i'm left with the same feeling. The lineup, outside of the Backland line, is leaving a lot to be desired for me. 

Part of that is players, Huberdeau was NOT good last night (and he is really, really frustrated right now), but I still don't think this lineup is maximizing the individual talent they have. 

I liked their 3rd, didn't like their transition game and of course it's really challenging to not play well for 40 mins and come away with a win. Don't think the execution level was high in this one but thanks to Markstrom and some timely D they almost got a point/win our of a game that they really didn't deserve. 

I'd be more tolerant of an effort like this but they started the road trip with an off game, then followed up game 2 with a slow start. 

56 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The points are there and their game is mostly solid to pretty good but i'm left with the same feeling. The lineup, outside of the Backland line, is leaving a lot to be desired for me. 

Part of that is players, Huberdeau was NOT good last night (and he is really, really frustrated right now), but I still don't think this lineup is maximizing the individual talent they have. 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I get the idea is to win games.  And we did for a stretch.

But nobody should have assumed we can win consistently with this setup.

Huberdeau and Kadri forced to play a defensive game with a non-movable object.

Seeing Lucic's defensive coverage being hope for a tip out of the zone or short pass to somebody.

But it has to be frustrating for Hubey to only ever see one pass option on offense. 

They look like a grinder 4th line some nights.

Meanwhile, an effective 4th line gets 7 minutes.

Last night was poor passing all across the board, even simple ones missed tape.

I don't know what the optimum lines are, but this isn't it.

One line consistently stands out and that's supposed to be the shutdown line.

Match speed with speed and look back at some combos that worked.

Lucic with Lewis and Ritchie worked, so you could probably sub Duehr there.

Backlund line, don't ever change.

I would also like to see Hubey with Lindholm and Dube, at least they can skate.

You could use either Ruzicka or Pelletier with Kadri and Toffoli.

Ruzicka could be your C or LW.

Pelletier could be your LW with Kadri at C.

The problem is that Sutter won't look at lines as being the problem.

He will find someone to sit out if Pelletier comes in.

And it won't be Lucic.

This game wasn't on Markstrom.

Even though he started 3 of 5 of this set and we won none of them, he wasn't the only issue.

I don't know that the goaltending decision had a direct result on this game.

I didn't like the goal line goal, but it's a small complaint.

Perhaps try a practice with some other choices for line.

5 minutes ago, taz89 said:

The Dallas games proves my point even further, they spotted him a 4 goal lead.  The 3rd period was just a result of them being lazy with that kind of a lead.

So lazy that they didn't give up a shot on goal in the first 7-8 mins of the period?

Flames didn't even have that great a game offensively against the Stars when you look at chances. Wedgewood was just that bad. 

• Like 1