Lucas Ciona 2021 6th Round Pick

A thread for the 2021 6th rounder

I've been impressed with Ciona during Seattle's playoff run. He's not flashy, strong on the walls, plays with an edge. 

The production has been modest in the Dub, next year will be big for him. Seattle should be a very good team again.

There's not a lot of size in the Flames forward pipeline. If Ciona can continue to progress, he has a shot at earning an NHL deal IMO

I was pretty meh on him at the time of the draft, I think he probably gets an ELC.  Whether he is able to turn into a bottom 6 NHLer I'm not sure of.  As far as the 2021 draft goes I would say right now I'm higher on the 6th and 7th rounders than I am of the 2nd and 3rds.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:05 AM, sak22 said:

I was pretty meh on him at the time of the draft, I think he probably gets an ELC.  Whether he is able to turn into a bottom 6 NHLer I'm not sure of.  As far as the 2021 draft goes I would say right now I'm higher on the 6th and 7th rounders than I am of the 2nd and 3rds.

I watched a lot of Connor Zary leading up to the 2020 draft. I had a lot of time on my hands lol. One Kamloops Blazer that really caught my eye was Stankoven. I badly wanted the Flames to take him at 45th. Size didn't bother me he was a RHS and quite dynamic, the Flames lack both qualities.Little annoying to see him go one pick later and then be the best player in the Dub. I get why they went Stromgren though, they lack size and speed in the pipeline. At this point though I don't think Whynot/Huckins/Jordan will get NHL deals. Huckins had some off-ice issues, Whynot and Jordan need to produce significantly more to be worth an NHL deal.

A year out, it looks like it's Coronato, Beck and maybe Ciona and Sergeev that will  get contracts.

19 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I watched a lot of Connor Zary leading up to the 2020 draft. I had a lot of time on my hands lol. One Kamloops Blazer that really caught my eye was Stankoven. I badly wanted the Flames to take him at 45th. Size didn't bother me he was a RHS and quite dynamic, the Flames lack both qualities.Little annoying to see him go one pick later and then be the best player in the Dub. I get why they went Stromgren though, they lack size and speed in the pipeline. At this point though I don't think Whynot/Huckins/Jordan will get NHL deals. Huckins had some off-ice issues, Whynot and Jordan need to produce significantly more to be worth an NHL deal.

A year out, it looks like it's Coronato, Beck and maybe Ciona and Sergeev that will  get contracts.

That concussion Zary suffered really set him back.  He needs to find confidence attacking the net with the puck again.  I think Zary has what it takes to make it to the NHL but it's going to take a bit longer to develop.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:01 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

A thread for the 2021 6th rounder

I've been impressed with Ciona during Seattle's playoff run. He's not flashy, strong on the walls, plays with an edge. 

The production has been modest in the Dub, next year will be big for him. Seattle should be a very good team again.

There's not a lot of size in the Flames forward pipeline. If Ciona can continue to progress, he has a shot at earning an NHL deal IMO

Hope Ciona can keep going.  I don't expect much but if he can bring a physical edge like Ferland/Jeannot type then that would be much welcomed.