How would you rate the new draft choices this yr

So we have 8 picks this season how would this message board Rate the Chances of any of them making the NHL weather they sign or get signing offers from the Flames ?

Also what grade would you give the Flames Management on the picks they gathered in other words what are the chances this Fan base believes any of this kids will surprise use and become NHL regulars. Now I know what I'm asking is in some ppls mind is totally silly but I would like to see if any one has any asperations that some of these kids could become NHLers and what you believe are there attributes that could possibly push them into the NHL . I know nothing about these kids but I'm sure lots of you have followed some of these boys and have some first hand knowledge. So try not to get to upset over these questions if you think they are just to stupid to answer then don't. I am not looking for sarcasm because you think these are silly questions.  

Well from what FN says we picked 3 C- and 1 C so that's 4 underwhelming players but I guess if you get 4 possible NHLers in 1 yr you can't complain plus you never know one of the C players could surprise we can only hope.

45 minutes ago, zima said:

Well from what FN says we picked 3 C- and 1 C so that's 4 underwhelming players but I guess if you get 4 possible NHLers in 1 yr you can't complain plus you never know one of the C players could surprise we can only hope.

Pretty subjective rating.

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, travel_dude said:

Pretty subjective rating.

It's funny because they put the positive spin on it lol.

A bunch of aweful grades, followed by a pat on the back.  I absolutely love it.

Me and you have our daily differences but imho, you should never let FN speak for you lol.   You actually know something.

They basically started at the top of the list with an A+ and then kept lowering the grade with lower picks, was a little laughable to me.   At the same time, I kind of do agree with the scoring but I have an actual reason.    Coronato is a player every NHL team would love to have.     Hard to rate him low.

But at the same time, I would have either taken Wallsted or traded for a 2nd first rounder to pick up Wallstedt/Cossa.     It's something we really needed as an organization that fit in with our future.   So as good as Coronato is, that's going to sting looking back, imho.

But sure, I sort of get Coronato having a high rating, and I also get giving  a lot of low ratings.  Not that they really had an explanation for any of them.

Their 7th rounder, Sergeeve, to me was a clear B+ or higher in terms of what was available in the draft at that time.  It was their one truly great pick for the round, the one round we could argue we "won".   

So, a compromised win in the first round, a bunch of fails, and a win in the 7th round, is my final answer.

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

It's funny because they put the positive spin on it lol.

A bunch of aweful grades, followed by a pat on the back.  I absolutely love it.

Me and you have our daily differences but imho, you should never let FN speak for you lol.   You actually know something.

They basically started at the top of the list with an A+ and then kept lowering the grade with lower picks, was a little laughable to me.   At the same time, I kind of do agree with the scoring but I have an actual reason.    Coronato is a player every NHL team would love to have.     Hard to rate him low.

But at the same time, I would have either taken Wallsted or traded for a 2nd first rounder to pick up Wallstedt/Cossa.     It's something we really needed as an organization that fit in with our future.   So as good as Coronato is, that's going to sting looking back, imho.

But sure, I sort of get Coronato having a high rating, and I also get giving  a lot of low ratings.  Not that they really had an explanation for any of them.

Their 7th rounder, Sergeeve, to me was a clear B+ or higher in terms of what was available in the draft at that time.  It was their one truly great pick for the round, the one round we could argue we "won".   

So, a compromised win in the first round, a bunch of fails, and a win in the 7th round, is my final answer.

I think it's kinda an overall assessment.  The 2nd rounder for me is a good pick.  Love the 1st.  Some of the later rounds have player we look at with stats and other things like consensus, but there is more to it than that.

I usually prefer to see D+1 before I criticize or praise the later picks.  The 2nd, for instance, will play in Sweden's top league.  He could become part of the WJC this year.  

The others will see elevated roles in their respective league, yes even Huskins and Why Not.

The Flames have missed on some players in the past, but most recently, they are not bad picks.  They may not be top 6 players in the NHL but you don't always get those in the 4th round or later.  2020 has some hit or miss guys in it (like Francis and Poirier, plus Kuz).  2019 has Nikolaev and Noddler, plus Wolfie.  2018 had nothing but 4th or later and still some possibles.