2021 Stockton Heat

Special teams another big story in Stockton this year. 

Number 1 PP in the entire league again. Operating at a nice 42.9% and they are 8% better than the 2nd place team. 

9th best PK rate at 84.9%

Pretty good coaching staff down there IMO. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Last night was a good example of how I suspect the Heat are going to have to play much of the year. Because their D and goaltending aren't great they'll have to keep scoring their way out of it, but give them credit they did. 

a lot of d breakdowns though and Manitoba was allowed to walk right in on several occasions. I don't think Zag was great but also give him credit he did make several saves to keep them in it and give them a chance. 

Back to back pointless game for Ruzicka, which is not that big a deal but I think it does show he has more work to do before he is in the mix for a call up. He's good at finishing plays but his play away from the puck is still a work in progress. 

Phillips continues to impress. Great work on the goal that should have won the game for Stockton. For a small guy he finds his way to the tough areas. 

I think Pospisil needs to get a little quicker, but it wouldn't surprise me if he sees an NHL game this season. He brings a lot of elements the NHL team is short on. Big body, great in front of the net/slot area, tips, always willing to engage physically. 

Yeah, one thing I think will be big for Sutter when it comes to call ups is roles. If we need a player for the 4th line, I doubt we will see Phillips, but guys like Kirkland and Pospisil are guys that can play that heavy forecheck role that Sutter likes on his 4th line. On the flip side of that if we have a need in the top 6 I could see Phillips getting the call.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, one thing I think will be big for Sutter when it comes to call ups is roles. If we need a player for the 4th line, I doubt we will see Phillips, but guys like Kirkland and Pospisil are guys that can play that heavy forecheck role that Sutter likes on his 4th line. On the flip side of that if we have a need in the top 6 I could see Phillips getting the call.

I do hope they use the prospects a bit better in the Sutter era.  Nothing worse than calling up a player like Phillips and sitting him.  I believe we had instances where we were down a top 9 player and all we did was insert a guy like Rinaldo on the 4th line and bump up players.  This year it's a bit harder to tell, since our 3rd line is 2/3 top 6 players.

Norstrom out - sure it makes some sense to play Rinaldo, but 2-4 minutes in a B2B game doesn't make sense to me.  Might as well run a 7th D and use him both on D and as a F.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I do hope they use the prospects a bit better in the Sutter era.  Nothing worse than calling up a player like Phillips and sitting him.  I believe we had instances where we were down a top 9 player and all we did was insert a guy like Rinaldo on the 4th line and bump up players.  This year it's a bit harder to tell, since our 3rd line is 2/3 top 6 players.

Norstrom out - sure it makes some sense to play Rinaldo, but 2-4 minutes in a B2B game doesn't make sense to me.  Might as well run a 7th D and use him both on D and as a F.

I think they just cannot do any worse bringing guys up,, I almost lost my mind with the Lomberg experiment. Lots of good talent on the team now, just need to give them a chance to play.

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For the TDL I’m not sure they flames can realistically acquire a RS player they would be better than Phillips right now. They 100% should call him up before any trades are made. 

It should happen.  You can't ignore the talent.

Not exactly the same, but if Yamamoto can make it in the NHL, so too should Phillips.

Wonder if Phillips is still a buck forty?

considering the pulse around the Flames seems to be the cupboards are empty, the Heat are sure challenging that. 4 of their top 5 scorers down there:

Ruzicka. 7G 7A. 14pts in 10 games. 3rd in AHL Scoring. 4th rounder

Phillips 4G 9 Assists 13pts in 10 games. 5th in AHL scoring. 6th rounder

Pospisil. 5G 5 Assists for 10 pts in 10 games. 26th in AHL scoring. 4th rounder

Pettersen. 4G 5A for 9 pts in 10 games. 46th in AHL Scoring. 8th in AHL rookie scoring. 6th rounder

Not all of these guys are going to make it of course but the Flames continue to do a good job with their scouting. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

considering the pulse around the Flames seems to be the cupboards are empty, the Heat are sure challenging that. 4 of their top 5 scorers down there:

Ruzicka. 7G 7A. 14pts in 10 games. 3rd in AHL Scoring. 4th rounder

Phillips 4G 9 Assists 13pts in 10 games. 5th in AHL scoring. 6th rounder

Pospisil. 5G 5 Assists for 10 pts in 10 games. 26th in AHL scoring. 4th rounder

Pettersen. 4G 5A for 9 pts in 10 games. 46th in AHL Scoring. 8th in AHL rookie scoring. 6th rounder

Not all of these guys are going to make it of course but the Flames continue to do a good job with their scouting. 

The thing for me is that they have found similar success to what their junior careers brought.

Pospisil seems to have rounded out his game a bit after last season's injury (fight with Cave).

Good to see players take the next steps.

I think one could say that Phillips is NHL ready and has ripened fully in the AHL.

Aggressive coaching from Cail McLean down 4-1, and on a 4v3 PP with 5:30 mins left in the game, McLean pulls the goalie for an extra attacker, Stone scores to make it 4-2. Stone took a penalty shortly after took a tripping penalty. Ended up being a 4-3 game.

I’ve been only able to catch a few periods but the Heat seemed to have really cooled off. I’m not sure if the change is due to Sutter and changing up styles or just a rough patch but they are not the same fast/aggressive team from earlier. 

not playing poorly by any means just not what they were. 

Doesn’t help that I don’t think Dominique has been particularly great. 

Just now, cross16 said:

I’ve been only able to catch a few periods but the Heat seemed to have really cooled off. I’m not sure if the change is due to Sutter and changing up styles or just a rough patch but they are not the same fast/aggressive team from earlier. 

not playing poorly by any means just not what they were. 

Doesn’t help that I don’t think Dominique has been particularly great. 

Yeah Domingue has been Shakey, that's to be expected as he hasn't played a game in a year. They really need him to be better, especially with Petrovic up with Calgary. Just not a lot of good defense down with Stockton.

There has been quite the talent drain in Stockton. 

Zary off to juniors

Best dman to the taxi squad

Zagaduilin (who was playing solid) off to taxi squad

Posposil Hurt

Emilio Petterson didn't play yesterday due to injury.

Tapping into depth early on.