2021 Stockton Heat

• 1 month later...

I find it disappointing how our Kids are going the same way our Big team goes we just don't seem to have any high end kids now I know we have some that will make it to the NHL chances are they will be bottom players we just don't have a kid that will become a 30-or 40 goal scorer none will make the top 10 rookies of the yr. If someone here thinks I'm wrong I would love to hear how you come to this conclusion . Now I am hoping that Gawdin could become a mang or Dube type player as to putting up a few points and playing in the 3rd or 4th line maybe even 2nd line but that is probably a slim chance. So far if you notice BT does not have any trust in the kids to make a change in the big league. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zima said:

I find it disappointing how our Kids are going the same way our Big team goes we just don't seem to have any high end kids now I know we have some that will make it to the NHL chances are they will be bottom players we just don't have a kid that will become a 30-or 40 goal scorer none will make the top 10 rookies of the yr. If someone here thinks I'm wrong I would love to hear how you come to this conclusion . Now I am hoping that Gawdin could become a mang or Dube type player as to putting up a few points and playing in the 3rd or 4th line maybe even 2nd line but that is probably a slim chance. So far if you notice BT does not have any trust in the kids to make a change in the big league. 

I would love to know how you came to the conclusion without most of the "kids" playing meaningful minutes in CGY.  Are you looking at AHL performance from the year and reading into that?  I don't know.  Are you looking at just the AHL or also following junior hockey?

You are making general statements about players ceilings.  What is your reasonings for those?  You ever watch Ruzicka or Phillips or Pettersen play?  Watch Mackey play recently?  Was there some reason why we should have brought in Ruzicka to play 10 minutes or less on a grinder line? 

In general, there are so few recent draft picks that have made the NHL with any kind of noise.

From the 2019 draft, the top 2 only have 18 goals over two seasons.

From 2020 draft, the top scoring draft pick has 10 goals.

Sorry I don't see any players making an impact in the NHL  if anything there going to be bottom dwellers which is ok just not what is going to help this team make any kind of noise in the standings looks as though we are going to be another 7 yrs before we see any kind of playoff noise which means for me I will never see them make it pass the 2nd round not what gives me a fuzzy feeling.  

If the point is that the AHL team doesn't contain a difference maker level prospect than I think that's accurate. Worth keeping in mind that most teams in the AHL don't contain that level of prospect though. 

Of who is in the AHL right now I think they have 2 prospects worth keeping an eye on that could surprise us (ala Mangiapane) and that is Phillips and Petterson. Outside of those 2 the only ones down there I think might have an NHL future are Connor Mackey, Luke Philip, and Martin Poposil. Philip is likely a fringe player and not a full time NHLer and I don't think Mackey nor Posposil have upside outside of bottom pairing or bottom 6. 

I omitted Ruzicka on purpose as for me i don't see an NHL prospect. However, it's worth pointing out he's defied odds to get here and is well liked in the organization so I am very prepared to be wrong about him and I'm hopeful he gets a shot to prove me wrong. 

So it's not an unfair statement, but at the same time the 3 biggest prospects in this organization right now are not in the AHL. Zary, Pelletier and Wolf are in junior and if you are looking for potential different makers it's those 3. 

29 minutes ago, zima said:

Sorry I don't see any players making an impact in the NHL  if anything there going to be bottom dwellers which is ok just not what is going to help this team make any kind of noise in the standings looks as though we are going to be another 7 yrs before we see any kind of playoff noise which means for me I will never see them make it pass the 2nd round not what gives me a fuzzy feeling.  

To be honest, not every team that makes noise in the playoffs comes from internal player development.  Yes, they play a part, as do smart trades and UFA signings.

With STL, it was ROR and Binnington that made the difference; one drafted and one traded for.

With Tampa, it was drafting mostly, but it took a lot of time and a lot of trades and signings along the way.

Cross identified a couple of guys that could make a difference.  That's without even considering a couple of guys that are doing well in junior (Poirier and Francis) and a D-man known for his offense in Europe (Kinnvall).  Each of those guys has to grow to make the NHL, but I would not discount them at this point.

Okay I really hope we have 3 new prospects that will make a noise but I'm worried about the 3 specially when it comes to Wolf I am praying that he makes as much noise in the pros as he is in the Juniors but I was really hoping that Gil and Parson were going to be our future but Gil became a big explosion and not in a good way same with Parson who seems to be hurt or just can't get it together I would like Wolf to go and get his Goalie coaching from some where else because it seems the goalie coach we have is killing them . They come in with very good ability to stop the puck but after a few months down there they become curtains with big holes in them. Now I know coaching isn't the whole story but seems suspect and we have had some very good points getters in juniors but just can play in the pros. So I look in the AHL standings and it say we are 11-16-1 sorry now is 11-17-1 which means we are dyeing down there as well. So I don't get how you guys can get I say we have no Franchise top players someone who can change the out come of a game like say ohh i don't know Bergeron Mackinnon or even a Backland or even a dube player or even a mag Unless you think perhaps Ruz or perhaps a Gawdin. Ok I am hoping we have the kids get into the line up so we can get an Idea to see if they can make the next steps would be nice and I don't see any reason why not at this time in the season and don't get me wrong I really do want our kids kill it in the NHL but what can you say about a team that can't compete in the AHL this yr there not doing what is needed to be done to show they can compete up here.  

1 hour ago, zima said:

So I look in the AHL standings and it say we are 11-16-1 sorry now is 11-17-1 which means we are dyeing down there as well. So I don't get how you guys can get I say we have no Franchise top players someone who can change the out come of a game like say ohh i don't know Bergeron Mackinnon or even a Backland or even a dube player or even a mag Unless you think perhaps Ruz or perhaps a Gawdin. Ok I am hoping we have the kids get into the line up so we can get an Idea to see if they can make the next steps would be nice and I don't see any reason why not at this time in the season and don't get me wrong I really do want our kids kill it in the NHL but what can you say about a team that can't compete in the AHL this yr there not doing what is needed to be done to show they can compete up here.  

Success in the AHL means little.  We had fringe AHL goalies down there.  Our best players are in the NHL.

Even if Ruzicka, Phillips and Mackey were good enough to be classified as top prospects, they would not turn the AHL team into a winner.

In most cases, those high level players don't even play in the AHL; they go directly to the NHL.

Gaudreau and Monahan never played a single game there.

So far, only Zary has played in the AHL, but that was a weird quirk of the WHL season.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's waiver-eligible now is he not? Does that create too much risk if it doesn't work out?

My thinking was waiver-ineligible like Pelletier so not to potentially lose a guy if it doesn't work out.

Phillips?  He would need to pass waivers to go back down.

If they want to keep him, they only bring him up as a Black Ace.

They could bring up another guy like Duehr, but what does that say to Phillips and Pelletier?

You are good to great, but we want the big guy not having a great AHL season.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Phillips?  He would need to pass waivers to go back down.

If they want to keep him, they only bring him up as a Black Ace.

They could bring up another guy like Duehr, but what does that say to Phillips and Pelletier?

You are good to great, but we want the big guy not having a great AHL season.

That's my thoughts. But my thoughts are to bring someone up pre-TDL to maybe get a different look. If the player isn't ready but you like the look, maybe it gives you an idea of what type of player you do or don't want to add. Of course you'd already know, but it would tighten up the perspective.

Or I'm thinking out of my posterior, one or the other.

Ritchie should be 13th at best. Not on the 3rd line.

I don't wanna rag on the guy, it's not his fault he's on the 3rd line. He is what he is.

He's not a better option than Lewis for 4th RW, so....

Are we just trying to torture Monahan?

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's my thoughts. But my thoughts are to bring someone up pre-TDL to maybe get a different look. If the player isn't ready but you like the look, maybe it gives you an idea of what type of player you do or don't want to add. Of course you'd already know, but it would tighten up the perspective.

Or I'm thinking out of my posterior, one or the other.

Ritchie should be 13th at best. Not on the 3rd line.

I don't wanna rag on the guy, it's not his fault he's on the 3rd line. He is what he is.

He's not a better option than Lewis for 4th RW, so....

Are we just trying to torture Monahan?

I think there is some reluctance to bring up anyone right now.  It may have to do with some trades that are being explored.  Ritchie should not be 3rd line.  He doesn't belong there.  It's almost like Sutter doesn't want to ruin the line with Lucic-Ruzicka-Lewis.  That line is doing pretty well.  Sutter must see something I do not.  I get that you may not want to bring up an AHL rookie, but the current options suck.  Ruzie is not a LW, so can't elevate him.  Bringing in Richardson to replace him on the 4th line makes no sense really, because he only is able to win faceoffs.  

If we apply logic, Phillips should be on the roster and Ritchie or Pitlick or Richardson waived.  We have the option to play him in limited competition (not against Vegas).  See if he can fit.  Baring that, Pelletier is the next best choice.  In fact I would argue that Pelts should be up.  Won't ruin his confidence (like Sutter suggests), since he knows he has a path and needs to know what is in the way. He's smaller but not tiny.  Same size as Johnny.   

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think there is some reluctance to bring up anyone right now.  It may have to do with some trades that are being explored.  Ritchie should not be 3rd line.  He doesn't belong there.  It's almost like Sutter doesn't want to ruin the line with Lucic-Ruzicka-Lewis.  That line is doing pretty well.  Sutter must see something I do not.  I get that you may not want to bring up an AHL rookie, but the current options suck.  Ruzie is not a LW, so can't elevate him.  Bringing in Richardson to replace him on the 4th line makes no sense really, because he only is able to win faceoffs.  

If we apply logic, Phillips should be on the roster and Ritchie or Pitlick or Richardson waived.  We have the option to play him in limited competition (not against Vegas).  See if he can fit.  Baring that, Pelletier is the next best choice.  In fact I would argue that Pelts should be up.  Won't ruin his confidence (like Sutter suggests), since he knows he has a path and needs to know what is in the way. He's smaller but not tiny.  Same size as Johnny.   

I agree with him wholeheartedly. That's a great 4th line.

Has Pitlick honestly been IR almost all year? wtf? Not understanding where this emanated from nor how it's become a constant. He should have been a good add to the bottom 6. Not always-on-the-IR add. What happened? Same injury from preseason keeps flaring up?

I honestly loved the add at the time, but he's been for the most part ineffective/IR. The injury driving the ineffective part maybe?

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I agree with him wholeheartedly. That's a great 4th line.

Has Pitlick honestly been IR almost all year? wtf? Not understanding where this emanated from nor how it's become a constant. He should have been a good add to the bottom 6. Not always-on-the-IR add. What happened? Same injury from preseason keeps flaring up?

I honestly loved the add at the time, but he's been for the most part ineffective/IR. The injury driving the ineffective part maybe?

I do like the 4th line, it's been one consistent line we have seen.

Pitlick is a mystery to me.

He's not listed on IR, not that that is key.

But he hasn't been healthy or played more than Richardson.

Ritchie is coming up to equal the games played after his one injury.

I am a little greedy.

I want to see a good player given a shot.

There is no ELC slide issues, so it's a mater of choice.

Do we want a playmaker or a play-killer?