Johannes Kinnvall

So this was a signing under my radar last year, but I think there’s something to be excited about with this guy. A right shot defensman, okay size (5’11), and puts up points at a crazy rate. Last season he had 11 goals and 40 points in 51 games in the SHL, making him the eighth highest scorer in that league, one of only 3 defenders in the top 20, and one of only 2 players under the age of 25 in the top 20 (he’s the youngest in fact).  I know the SHL is not the top league in Europe, but it’s still solid. It seems to favour older players, so having that kind of success at his age is impressive.  He’s also shown good progression, from 0 points in 18 games three seasons ago, followed by 22 points in 52 games, followed by 40 points last season (and 4 points in 4 games so far this season).

Supposedly the arrangement is he will come to North America for the 21-22 season, but I wonder if he might not get a look at training camp this year.

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

So this was a signing under my radar last year, but I think there’s something to be excited about with this guy. A right shot defensman, okay size (5’11), and puts up points at a crazy rate. Last season he had 11 goals and 40 points in 51 games in the SHL, making him the eighth highest scorer in that league, one of only 3 defenders in the top 20, and one of only 2 players under the age of 25 in the top 20 (he’s the youngest in fact).  I know the SHL is not the top league in Europe, but it’s still solid. It seems to favour older players, so having that kind of success at his age is impressive.  He’s also shown good progression, from 0 points in 18 games three seasons ago, followed by 22 points in 52 games, followed by 40 points last season (and 4 points in 4 games so far this season).

Supposedly the arrangement is he will come to North America for the 21-22 season, but I wonder if he might not get a look at training camp this year.

I think the plan was always next season (21/22), but I can't determine if he is loaned or is under contract and can't get out of it.

I think it would be a bit much to have him adjust to NA and play this year in the NHL.

Seeing as the AHL is still mum, I can see them keeping him in Europe until next season.

According to CapFriendly he has a European assignment clause in his contract, which essentially gives him the right to refuse assignment to the AHL and elect assignment back to a European club. Gives him a say in where he wants to play. While stranger things have happened the fact that the clause is in there and both he and the Flames have been forward about their plans I would be very surprised if anything changed at this point. 

Exciting player to have though I definitely agree on that. From limited viewings I have he reminds me of Gustafson and his career profile is similar as well. It's a big win if they could grab a player like that as a European FA. 

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

According to CapFriendly he has a European assignment clause in his contract, which essentially gives him the right to refuse assignment to the AHL and elect assignment back to a European club. Gives him a say in where he wants to play. While stranger things have happened the fact that the clause is in there and both he and the Flames have been forward about their plans I would be very surprised if anything changed at this point. 

Exciting player to have though I definitely agree on that. From limited viewings I have he reminds me of Gustafson and his career profile is similar as well. It's a big win if they could grab a player like that as a European FA. 

Would he pass on training camp with the flames then, or is it just that if he doesn't make the team he can go back to Europe instead of the AHL?

22 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Would he pass on training camp with the flames then, or is it just that if he doesn't make the team he can go back to Europe instead of the AHL?

I can't find for sure, my guess would be he is under contract to his Swedish club team and is not an option for the NHL this year. i cannot confirm that though. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I must be reading you wrong here.  He is under Flames contract, but the way you stated the bolded seemed like you were saying "if" we signed him.

BTW, Big Snag Zag(idulin) was loaned to his hometown KHL team today. 

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I must be reading you wrong here.  He is under Flames contract, but the way you stated the bolded seemed like you were saying "if" we signed him.

BTW, Big Snag Zag(idulin) was loaned to his hometown KHL team today. 

No, i'm saying that if they get a player that turns out to be a Gustafson like player it's a big win. I know they already have him but it's not a win unless he turns out to be something. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

No, i'm saying that if they get a player that turns out to be a Gustafson like player it's a big win. I know they already have him but it's not a win unless he turns out to be something. 

Too true.

From an offensive standpoint, he seems to have that knack.

I read a translated story the other day that said his team was not very good and he was a bright light.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Too true.

From an offensive standpoint, he seems to have that knack.

I read a translated story the other day that said his team was not very good and he was a bright light.

I personally like the signing.  I'd rather they be focusing on younger prospects but still it's hard not to like.

He has the numbers for sure.   Can he make the transition?   Too early to get excited.

My understanding of the situation is that he is still under contract with HV71, and was under contract when he signed with Calgary. Since he was under contract Calgary needed permission from the HV71 to discuss and sign a contract with Kinnvall, part of the agreement was that Calgary would allow Kinnvall to finish his contract with HV71 before bringing him over to NA. I am assuming that without that agreement, they wouldn't have been able to sign him till after this coming season when his contract was finished.

They did the same thing with Carl-Johan Lerby who will be playing in the AHL this year. I am surprised they haven't loaned him back to his SHL team in the mean time.

55 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My understanding of the situation is that he is still under contract with HV71, and was under contract when he signed with Calgary. Since he was under contract Calgary needed permission from the HV71 to discuss and sign a contract with Kinnvall, part of the agreement was that Calgary would allow Kinnvall to finish his contract with HV71 before bringing him over to NA. I am assuming that without that agreement, they wouldn't have been able to sign him till after this coming season when his contract was finished.

They did the same thing with Carl-Johan Lerby who will be playing in the AHL this year. I am surprised they have loaned him back to his SHL team in the mean time.

That all makes sense.

And I don't really want him coming over mid-year.  Even if he is ready.  Too much adjustment and results in too much hockey.

With Larby, I am guessing the loan is just a loan and he can be recalled to NA.  He was due to be part of the Flames (AHL or NHL) this season.

I think his status is slightly different, since he wasn't under contract for this year.

Archived