RYAN HUSKA

rickross

This man deserves more credit! His work down in Adirondack/Stockton has really built a nice foundation for player development. He worked his way up to the big leagues and I'm glad the Flames understood it's a process and didn't give up on Huska. He's done a great job this year running our defense and he's likely going to be a name coming up for head coaching consideration in a few years with his current trajectory. I'll quickly list some players he's had a hand in developing. 

Mark Jankowsi-Full time NHLer, young, strong 2 way centreman with upside. Top 9 potential

Dillon Dube-Future full time NHLer, skilled with leadership, responsible C with offensive upside and potential top 6 role

Andrew Mangiapane-Currently full time NHLer, non stop motor like winger, plays with an edge and is good along the boards, offensive upside

Jusso Valimaki-Future NHLer. Cool as school under any situation, defensive defenseman with a good shot and PP potential. Top 4 potential

Oliver Kylington-Current full time NHLer, elite skating, offensive ability and has GREATLY improved his defensive game. Draft steal.  Top 4 potential

Rasmus Andersson-Full time NHLer, turning into an absolute steal at the draft, poise, responsible, great shot, offensive skill. Top 2 potential

Garnet Hathaway-Full time NHLer, gritty winger with size, physical element, underrated offensive upside. Top 9 potential

David Rittich-Full time NHLer. Starting goalie for the majority of this season. Top 5 goalie potential, Vezina like when he's on his game. 

Its an impressive sampling of some of the players he's helped develop/coach. It's even more impressive the way the 3 rookie D-men in Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington have shown. It's rare for a team to possess this many young, in house developed NHL ready d men. Overall, just wanted to give Huska a shout as he's turning into one of the best assets in the organization. 

I mean, this is always a chicken vs egg debate but Huska coached Dube for 6 games and Valamki for 22. Sometimes players are just very good and the coach doesn't have much influence. Think we hand out praise to coaches far too often sometimes.

That being said, I've always been a Huska fan and think he is a very good coach. No doubt in my mind he's going to get head coaching looks in the next 2-3 years. 

But I do wish he would fix the PK.....

Archived