Coach Q out in Chicago

cross16

End of one of the better coaching eras in NHL history, certainly of the modern era. Always hard to be truly surprised by a coach being fired but this one is up there.

The Blackhawks problems lie in their GM office, not their coaching room. Sad what Bowman has done to that team. Colliton is also quite the hire when you consider what veteran coaches were out there and the fact he's younger than some guys on the team with minimal head coaching experience. 

5 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I like peters, but I wish the hawks would have done this in the off season so we could of had a chance at this guy.

Probably the biggest surprise in all of this for me. If you were this close to pulling the trigger why didn't you in the off-season when they were so many candidates available?

Must think pretty highly of Colliton. 

I'm surprised by the timing.

But this is a coach who was hyper critical of management after management traded Panarin for Saad.  And in protest/conspiracy, Quienvelle stuffed Saad on the 4th line all last season. 

Keith and Seabrook are aging out of their prime and only two forwards are legit top 6 players.  Q has gotten a lot out of his team to be in playoff contention.  So, I'm thinking it's the coach and management not seeing eye to eye that prompted this sudden firing.

3 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I like peters, but I wish the hawks would have done this in the off season so we could of had a chance at this guy.

I would have been really excited to get Quenneville here. What a shame. I was thinking about him when we were hiring given he walked out of the draft like he did. I concluded that maybe he and Bowman just had a rough relationship and made it work. 

This was an inevitable firing. Quenneville could have walked on water and he would have been fired. You cannot sign two players for that much, win that many cups, lose so much talent because of the cap (and salary structure), and remain a winning team. LA has fallen apart as well. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

How long does Bowman have if newbie doesn't turn it around? I suspect he is gone by the end of the year, if not sooner. This is a roster issue, not a coaching problem.

They fired the wrong guy...   and then replaced him with a 33 year old that was just in his 2nd season as a coach in the AHL...

Archived