Compare the Division

kehatch

Since it is the summer and there isn't anything better (hockey related) to do, I went to daily face off and took their lines and scores so we can compare the division.  Their scores are a bit questionable imo, and clearly based on fantasy play instead of impact.  Some of their lines are a bit iffy as well.  But it is an objective reference.  

At forward, the top line is a bit outgunned compared to the big hitters in Anaheim, LA, etc.  But they are going to put up points and do their jobs.  Calgary's forward depth matches up well across the division.  The new additions really help add some credibility to the bottom 6.  

At D it is a similar story.  The Flames lack the top end talent to go up against teams like LA and San Jose, especially with Hamilton gone.  But overall our depth at the position is very strong and any pair with Giordano on it will be tip top.  

We fall apart in net a bit with one of the weakest starters on the list.  Daily Face Off has Gilles as our back-up and they have him ranked pretty high (I don't agree with either), but looking at the names on the other teams I don't love how we match up in net.  

IlaKuR2.png

• 1 month later...
On 2018-08-01 at 0:26 AM, kehatch said:

Since it is the summer and there isn't anything better (hockey related) to do, I went to daily face off and took their lines and scores so we can compare the division.  Their scores are a bit questionable imo, and clearly based on fantasy play instead of impact.  Some of their lines are a bit iffy as well.  But it is an objective reference.  

At forward, the top line is a bit outgunned compared to the big hitters in Anaheim, LA, etc.  But they are going to put up points and do their jobs.  Calgary's forward depth matches up well across the division.  The new additions really help add some credibility to the bottom 6.  

At D it is a similar story.  The Flames lack the top end talent to go up against teams like LA and San Jose, especially with Hamilton gone.  But overall our depth at the position is very strong and any pair with Giordano on it will be tip top.  

We fall apart in net a bit with one of the weakest starters on the list.  Daily Face Off has Gilles as our back-up and they have him ranked pretty high (I don't agree with either), but looking at the names on the other teams I don't love how we match up in net.  

IlaKuR2.png

Well, now that there are some significant additions to the division it looks as though the Pacific is as good as the Central.

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎01 at 8:26 AM, cccsberg said:

Not sure how the rankings are made, but their line-ups e.g. top pair D  and 4th line are suspect as we're pretty sure Brodie will be alongside Gio and both Lazar and Brouwer is highly unlikely and hopefully it'll be neither.  

This chart is definitely dated and are never an exact science for upcoming performance. I could see where Lindholm would enhance Tkachuk and Backlund over Frolik. We don't know what our 3rd or 4th lines will look like yet, all we know is Brouwer is no longer here (YAY) and Czarnik is here. In China at first glance I liked the Frolik, Ryan and Czarnik line. If we end up with a 4th line of Bennett, Jankowski and Lazar to start I could see this being a line of trial runs for some players.

On defense the only real situation to sort out is the last pairing. Our top pairings should match up well against any of these teams.

Goalies has me leaning towards a Smith/Gilles combo mainly because we need to know if Gilles is any kind of take over for Smith option after this season. Rittich I think we can agree should pan out as solid back up material.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:01 AM, 7wit said:

Well, now that there are some significant additions to the division it looks as though the Pacific is as good as the Central.

The Pacific definitely got better, but it still falls a bit below the Central in my opinion.  At the top you have Anaheim/San Jose in the Pacific and Winnipeg/Nashville in the Central.  I think their top teams are just a bit better then ours.  The only teams that are clearly on the lower end are in the Pacific (Vancouver, Arizona).  

That said, getting a top 3 spot in the Pacific is going to be a fight after the San Jose upgrade.  I also think the strength of the Central may mean a wild card spot might be hard to come by.  

37 minutes ago, kehatch said:

The Pacific definitely got better, but it still falls a bit below the Central in my opinion.  At the top you have Anaheim/San Jose in the Pacific and Winnipeg/Nashville in the Central.  I think their top teams are just a bit better then ours.  The only teams that are clearly on the lower end are in the Pacific (Vancouver, Arizona). 

That said, getting a top 3 spot in the Pacific is going to be a fight after the San Jose upgrade.  I also think the strength of the Central may mean a wild card spot might be hard to come by. 

Agreed. Also, the Hawks are being underrated for one down year.

Anaheim, hmmm, getting long in the tooth.

LA will still be a problem. Vegas.

Certainly not kidding myself of all of the strength in the West.

Should be a hard year.

Archived