WC Rd 2 - Jets vs Preds

conundrumed

WC Rd 2 - Jets vs Preds  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins, how many in comments

• Jets
    • Preds

Another whale of a series in the West. The Preds are going to play this as chippy as all get out to try to frustrate the Jets.

Both arenas will be ROCKING!

Sorry Preds, the Jets have been this good for 3 years now.

It has all come together. Patience got them here, now they are devastating.

The threats up and down the roster might just be the best I can remember.

Jets in 6 WITH Rinne standing on his head.

edit

How much fun would this be for a WCF:

SJ vs “the worst place in the entire league”?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Another whale of a series in the West. The Preds are going to play this as chippy as all get out to try to frustrate the Jets.

Both arenas will be ROCKING!

Sorry Preds, the Jets have been this good for 3 years now.

It has all come together. Patience got them here, now they are devastating.

The threats up and down the roster might just be the best I can remember.

Jets in 6 WITH Rinne standing on his head.

edit

How much fun would this be for a WCF:

SJ vs “the worst place in the entire league”?

It will be a good series. "Revenge is a dish best served cold, dark, and cold!"

I called series 1 over the Wild in 5 so hope my luck continues. I'm going Jets in 6 but see a very hard fought series (Preds were doing some dirties that surprised me against the Avs).

Both crowds will be loud but the level @ MTS was measured @ 110+ decibels. Wpg is making up for having the smallest arena with their street party that keeps growing every game. Game 1 there was 1 block closed expecting 5000 people but 8000 showed up so game 2 was 2 blocks but again the crowd exceeded the 10,000 expected so it went to 3 blocks with 15,000+ outside to match the # inside.

After the win a big part of both crowds went to our famous corner of Portage & Main. The police just closed that corner to traffic & the party was on. No real incidents as there were 6-10 taken to the drunk tank but unlike certain cities we all know not a hint of worse.

I figured the Jets would take the Wild but frankly having the Preds waiting scared the bejeebers out of me. That has passed due to the combination of the trouble the Avs gave Nashville & the Jets again succeeding even as they were forced to reach ever deeper into their depth.

I went 6 games because the Jets players definately feed off that fanatical crowd. They see the 1s outside as they come to the barn & hear the roar inside all night. Therefore I figure they close it out @ home. 

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The Jets are a very good team, but I just can't bring myself to cheer for another Canadian team. I hope the Preds take them out and take them out early.

Well that's just a bad attitude, lol.

At this point, I just cheer for players I've always liked.

I've loved Rinne since I first saw him, but Scheifele is a guy I saw enough of in jr to love him more.

Always compared Monahan, a year younger, to him in jr.

Not their individual playing styles, but the substance.

But full respect for how both of these teams were built. Nashville has always been a D and G factory, a lot of savvy building up the F ranks.

When Pens fans went sideways on the Neal-Hornqvist deal, I was shocked.

If I had the choice, even at that time, I'd take Hornqvist over Neal for the Flames everyday.

Another way I look at it, the Peg moved to Phoenix. The NHL gave undying support to a frigging desert, where was Winnipeg's undying support? Where was Quebec City's undying support?

Go save Buffalo. Go save Pittsburgh. Go save Arizona.

I have a proud Canadian middle finger and it's all Winnipeg's in the right now.

Kick the Satoshi Nakamoto out of these playoffs.

Payback's a BTC. Blockchain 'em Winnipeg. Blockchain 'em good and hard.

Bury your vengeance deep into that rat, for all of us.

At least for those of us with long memories.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well that's just a bad attitude, lol.

At this point, I just cheer for players I've always liked.

I've loved Rinne since I first saw him, but Scheifele is a guy I saw enough of in jr to love him more.

Always compared Monahan, a year younger, to him in jr.

Not their individual playing styles, but the substance.

But full respect for how both of these teams were built. Nashville has always been a D and G factory, a lot of savvy building up the F ranks.

When Pens fans went sideways on the Neal-Hornqvist deal, I was shocked.

If I had the choice, even at that time, I'd take Hornqvist over Neal for the Flames everyday.

Another way I look at it, the Peg moved to Phoenix. The NHL gave undying support to a frigging desert, where was Winnipeg's undying support? Where was Quebec City's undying support?

Go save Buffalo. Go save Pittsburgh. Go save Arizona.

I have a proud Canadian middle finger and it's all Winnipeg's in the right now.

Kick the Satoshi Nakamoto out of these playoffs.

Payback's a BTC. Blockchain 'em Winnipeg. Blockchain 'em good and hard.

Bury your vengeance deep into that rat, for all of us.

At least for those of us with long memories.

I am waiting for an expansion team to locate in Saudi Arabia soon. Because Bettman.

Jets in 6.

Winnipeg with a goalie is unreal, difference maker goalie tonight.

That 3rd goal by Scheifele was a giant, "yup, that's him and Mony".

That puck usually comes from a couple of inches out from where he released it. That's a shot Rinne has if so.

Bring it in a bit, trajectory changes in a split second. Scheifele's been great at that for years and that's Monahan too.

Don't always have the time to do it, it's a thing of beauty when they make it obvious, lol..

I think it's why Mony ill-opts for the pass or a weak attempt too often.

That's a goal scorers goal, I love that. Rinne had that shot covered, that inch or 2 change in release point bought 4-6" of space by the time it traveled 18' in a split second.

Anyone who hasn't read Jonathan Quick's contributions to The Player's Tribune, go find it. I'd link it, but it shouldn't be that easy.

He's incredibly honest.

I recall making the Scheifele Monahan comparison in Mony's 2nd year and got laughed at that Scheifele is nowhere near Monahan's talent, lol.

Payback's a BTC.

Give me the PPG guy on the worst teams in the OHL any day.

And then give each of them Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien as mentors.

Nashville outplayed Winnipeg badly but the Jets made the few shots they had count.

That was Helle's win all the way. He made all the 1st stops & commented that the team was good @ clearing the few rebounds & preventing 2nd attempts while keeping most of the shots & shot attempts from being taken from the most dangerous areas.

3 big differences that win made for the Jets are:

1) 1st ever 2nd round win in the history of either Jets frachise.

2) taking away home ice advantage.

3) Proving to themselves & the fans that they can win in the Preds barn in the playoffs.

20 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Nashville outplayed Winnipeg badly but the Jets made the few shots they had count.

That was Helle's win all the way. He made all the 1st stops & commented that the team was good @ clearing the few rebounds & preventing 2nd attempts while keeping most of the shots & shot attempts from being taken from the most dangerous areas.

3 big differences that win made for the Jets are:

1) 1st ever 2nd round win in the history of either Jets frachise.

2) taking away home ice advantage.

3) Proving to themselves & the fans that they can win in the Preds barn in the playoffs.

Are you saying that was the first time that the Jets (either team) have won a game in the second round? That is truly amazing. I was certain that they had a couple of second round wins back before they moved to the chosen land where the grass sand is greener.

41 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Are you saying that was the first time that the Jets (either team) have won a game in the second round? That is truly amazing. I was certain that they had a couple of second round wins back before they moved to the chosen land where the grass sand is greener.

It's true. The 2 times the Jets version 1.0 made it to the 2nd round (1985 & 87) they were swept in round 2 by the Edmonton Gretzkys.

Back in the WHA they did better playing for the Avco Cup 5 of the 7 years of the league's existance. They won 3 of those. :)

42 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Winnipeg looks like they don't take too kindly to losing.

When the bear is the likes of Byfuglien, Wheeler and Schefele, poking it doesn't look like it'll go well.

That was an intimidating loss for Nashville.

Down 3-0, then come back and outscore the Pred's 7-1?  Look out, the JETS have been turned on.

12 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Down 3-0, then come back and outscore the Pred's 7-1?  Look out, the JETS have been turned on.

You know, I think I'm cheering for ff here, lol.

Can't argue about the teams he cheers for, can't fight with his views...

I just can't think of any reason not to hope he gets to enjoy a championship run if I'm just sitting around hating hockey right now anyways.

I do love Scheifele, so there's that too.

For my loyalty, I would only want Konecny for Ferland as payment.:lol:

That 1st period was causing doubt (among fans, not players) but all turned out well. It was still a nailbiter until that 1st EN but what I like is the scoring again came from all over the team. 4th line grinder Tanev has 4 goals in 8 games with a couple being game winners.

The evening started with a perfectly time fly over by 2 CF-18s out of Cold Lake right after the anthems ended. They flew an oval over the city until they got word from on the ground to go. We heard the roar regardless of if we live downtown or the suburbs. It was timed to the second & extra points for the fact 1 pilot's wife & 2 kids were in the city & @ the party.

Then there was an unstated but obvious statement about the Nashville street parties that went something like "You call that a street party? Hold my beer!" as there were about 30,000 there all in white with many outrageous costumes. Media from all over Canada are covering this.

Unreal how this has united the city. Everywhere you go there are signs, flags & people in Jets gear. It's even bigger than the "Save the Jets" turnouts before we lost the original team.

If you gather I'm proud of my home city right now you'd be right. :)

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That 1st period was causing doubt (among fans, not players) but all turned out well. It was still a nailbiter until that 1st EN but what I like is the scoring again came from all over the team. 4th line grinder Tanev has 4 goals in 8 games with a couple being game winners.

The evening started with a perfectly time fly over by 2 CF-18s out of Cold Lake right after the anthems ended. They flew an oval over the city until they got word from on the ground to go. We heard the roar regardless of if we live downtown or the suburbs. It was timed to the second & extra points for the fact 1 pilot's wife & 2 kids were in the city & @ the party.

Then there was an unstated but obvious statement about the Nashville street parties that went something like "You call that a street party? Hold my beer!" as there were about 30,000 there all in white with many outrageous costumes. Media from all over Canada are covering this.

Unreal how this has united the city. Everywhere you go there are signs, flags & people in Jets gear. It's even bigger than the "Save the Jets" turnouts before we lost the original team.

If you gather I'm proud of my home city right now you'd be right. :)

Now that's the kind of update the media misses.

Sounds amazing.

I'm very fine to go across Canadian NHL cities, been to them all, and say Winnipeg deserves this.

38 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sounds amazing.

I'm very fine to go across Canadian NHL cities, been to them all, and say Winnipeg deserves this.

Thanks.

The Jets have hit so many 1sts as an NHL team I'm amazed. Going into yesterday's game Buff had more points/goals in the 1st 2 games than the entire highly admired Nashville defense.

Getting the NHL back has rejuvenated the city. Even the skyline downtown looks better, Instead of a wasteland populated by punks, panhandlers & other assorted riff raff there are new restataurants & these playoffs are giving them a great start finacially where others failed.

Chipman & True North are putting up new office buildings, a hotel, etc. while others are following with condos & such.

Some look only to subsidies sports teams recieve (in tax breaks or an extra cut of the take from lottery machines) but properly done everything does end up repaid in a higher tax base. In this case because the arena is downtown the infrastructure was already in place (roads, etc) so that's an advantage. That & that fans are willing to pay top dollar for the big league experience in a well run franchise.

Unfortunately our CFL franchise is the polar opposite. Even with capacity crowds it barely manages to break even just on the cost of running a team. The new stadium was all underwritten by levels of government, placed far from downtown (making it difficult for those living in many areas to get to so requires extra buses & policing for traffic jams) & had little oversight as to the quality of construction (& no provision for cost over runs). 1 year after opening there was already structual damage & no way of making the contracters repair it.

A tale of 2 sports in the same city. 1 run by savvy business people with government incentives as required but not  actually putting out the cash. The other totally government dominated with the resulting lack of research or quality control with all $s coming from government or loans guaranteed by those governments.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

I do read the new arena thread but feep quiet as it's not my tax dollars. It is also a completely different situation with 1 company owning all pro sports franchises in the city. I wonder if it might not be best for Calgary Sports & Entertainment to sell off some of the franchises & use the money to finance the badly needed arena. Keep the Heat to maintain control of developement like the Jets do with the Moose. If they do finance the new barn with tax breaks similar to those TN recieved they keep control over all revenues like concessions & from other events like concerts. I know a large part of the death knell of the 1st Jets was because Wpg. Enterprises owned the building, got all concession, parking, etc income while charging the Jets rent. You guys need a Mark Chipman who along with his silent partner David Thompson planned carefully much before they even landed a NHL franchise. (Something I found interesting is that during round 1 white-out parties $20 Billion man Thompson was down @ Portage & Main partying with the regular fans.)  Then hammer out a long range plan with professional hockey men & stay out of the dailly decission making (forcing trades or the like).

There must be groups willing to buy the Stamps (usually a top franchise in the CFL) while there is always demand for WHL teams. I don't follow lacross to know if it's a financially feasable purchace but would guess that since it's a relatively minor sport the cost of running a franchise should be much less than the better known sports & a home should be fairly easy to rent. My point is it seems CS&E is spreading itself much to thin trying to supply every sports interest. Identify what you are good at & put all the energy into that.

I might be speaking out of turn on the arena situation (& certainly in the wrong thread) but having seen the 2 situations I mention in Wpg. I figured I'd just put in my thoughts.

25 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Thanks.

The Jets have hit so many 1sts as an NHL team I'm amazed. Going into yesterday's game Buff had more points/goals in the 1st 2 games than the entire highly admired Nashville defense.

Getting the NHL back has rejuvenated the city. Even the skyline downtown looks better, Instead of a wasteland populated by punks, panhandlers & other assorted riff raff there are new restataurants & these playoffs are giving them a great start finacially where others failed.

Chipman & True North are putting up new office buildings, a hotel, etc. while others are following with condos & such.

Some look only to subsidies sports teams recieve (in tax breaks or an extra cut of the take from lottery machines) but properly done everything does end up repaid in a higher tax base. In this case because the arena is downtown the infrastructure was already in place (roads, etc) so that's an advantage. That & that fans are willing to pay top dollar for the big league experience in a well run franchise.

Unfortunately our CFL franchise is the polar opposite. Even with capacity crowds it barely manages to break even just on the cost of running a team. The new stadium was all underwritten by levels of government, placed far from downtown (making it difficult for those living in many areas to get to so requires extra buses & policing for traffic jams) & had little oversight as to the quality of construction (& no provision for cost over runs). 1 year after opening there was already structual damage & no way of making the contracters repair it.

A tale of 2 sports in the same city. 1 run by savvy business people with government incentives as required but not  actually putting out the cash. The other totally government dominated with the resulting lack of research or quality control with all $s coming from government or loans guaranteed by those governments.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

I do read the new arena thread but feep quiet as it's not my tax dollars. It is also a completely different situation with 1 company owning all pro sports franchises in the city. I wonder if it might not be best for Calgary Sports & Entertainment to sell off some of the franchises & use the money to finance the badly needed arena. Keep the Heat to maintain control of developement like the Jets do with the Moose. If they do finance the new barn with tax breaks similar to those TN recieved they keep control over all revenues like concessions & from other events like concerts. I know a large part of the death knell of the 1st Jets was because Wpg. Enterprises owned the building, got all concession, parking, etc income while charging the Jets rent. You guys need a Mark Chipman who along with his silent partner David Thompson planned carefully much before they even landed a NHL franchise. (Something I found interesting is that during round 1 white-out parties $20 Billion man Thompson was down @ Portage & Main partying with the regular fans.)  Then hammer out a long range plan with professional hockey men & stay out of the dailly decission making (forcing trades or the like).

There must be groups willing to buy the Stamps (usually a top franchise in the CFL) while there is always demand for WHL teams. I don't follow lacross to know if it's a financially feasable purchace but would guess that since it's a relatively minor sport the cost of running a franchise should be much less than the better known sports & a home should be fairly easy to rent. My point is it seems CS&E is spreading itself much to thin trying to supply every sports interest. Identify what you are good at & put all the energy into that.

I might be speaking out of turn on the arena situation (& certainly in the wrong thread) but having seen the 2 situations I mention in Wpg. I figured I'd just put in my thoughts.

Eeew. you like football.

Go Preds, lol.

42 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Eeew. you like football.

Go Preds, lol.

Actually I haven't followed football in about 20 years. But a few journalists out here certainly keep me aware that the Bombers are a money pit. For instance, they finished in the black for a change last year but don't have dollar 1 to put to the ever increasing cost of building a faulty stadium. Our governments @ work.:mad:

BTW, the board running the team was selected by our former NDP government for term positions as a reward for their loyalty. We're stuck paying them to run this thing even further into the ground.

Meanwhile, True North Square is almost finished & will be ahead of time without cost over runs. :)

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sounds amazing.

4 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Okay, since you didn't know that you'd asked, I have excellent news!

Storytime!

I used to hang out in Winnipeg a bit because my band played there a lot. I met a girl there in 2002, and she moved to Calgary with me in 2003 - the band played there on the Canada Day weekend, and she rode back with us. We were together for three years. Anyway, this isn't about the romance, it's about that particular show, and the events surrounding it. 

We had a few friends there, mostly the sort of punks and degenerates that FF was referencing, and they'd come out in droves when we played. That weekend, we were booked on a festival, and our gig was at the Royal Albert Arms Hotel. It was one of my favourite places to play because it was a total dive, and we always had great shows there. Plus, I had great memories there - I met my girlfriend there, and I was looking forward to starting a life with her. So it was a big weekend!

They also had a designated band room there, and I gotta tell ya, it was not for the squeamish. 

Anyway, we had done our load in, and were hanging out in the bar with some friends of ours when a man approached that was looking to party - but it wasn't exactly the type of party that we were looking for. Of course the boys were always game for booze and drugs, but he was looking for a nice gentleman to accompany him back to his room. As none of us were of the ilk, particularly the friend of ours that he took a liking to, he moved on. He did make his way to another bar at the Woodbine Hotel where he was more successful. So far, so good. 

Seemingly unrelated, Winnipeg was also hosting Mirimax at that time, as they were shooting a film starring Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon called Shall We Dance. Police had been called when Susan Sarandon reported that a gold necklace and several thousand dollars worth of other jewelry that she had worn in the film went missing. 

It was a great day. My girlfriend's folks had the band over along with some buds, and we had a barbecue. That night, we played a great set - in the immortal words of Bon Scott:

The music was good, and the music was loud!

Everyone was feeling jovial, the drinks were flowing, and we were riding a real high. Of course, none of us was aware that something heinous was going down in room 309. 

The next day, the man that we'd met in the bar, that I later learned was named Sidney Teerhuis, walked into a police station where he uttered the words, "I think I killed someone."

When police arrived at the scene, they found Robin Greene, whom Teerhuis had met at the Woodbine Hotel, in the bathtub. He had been stabbed 68 times, his head, arms, and legs all dismembered, and his internal organs had all been removed - many of which were never recovered. 

What was recovered, however, was Susan Sarandon's necklace which was found in a pool of blood near Greene's head. Apparently, he had stolen the jewelry from one of the Shall We Dance trailers, and was trying to pedal it at the Woodbine. 

2wh0a6o.jpg

That same trip, I bought this fridge magnet at the Wild Planet on Osbourne. For what it's worth, Winnipeg is also the Slurpee capital of the world. I have no opinion about that. 

As for the series, I'm having a lot of fun watching. I think Winnipeg wins it, but I'm happy to just watch it go the distance!

Love. 

^^^

I'm familiar with all that except the story of your band. :mellow:

I don't know if you were ever here in January but when both Randy Bachman & Neil Young sing about Portage & Main (a stone's throw from the Royal Albert where I saw several killings in my younger/wilder days) 40 below it's not a figure of speech.

Back in the '60s there wasn't a lot to do so the teenagers started bands. If you are interested in old rock I recommend reading John Einerson's Shakin' All Over.

Much later in the '60s my boss's son was in a band that played the Albert quite a bit. Totally different atmosphere from what I saw in the 60s/70s as the kids were suburban trying to fit in but nothing like the 1s I knew in the day. The Main Street strip was infamous but the worst hung out @ the Albert in those days. I'd venture to say the majority met untimely deaths as I know of 1 survivor & he's living out his last days in prison. :mellow:Makes me happy as he almost killed me.

****************************************************************************************

The murder capital story is overblown as it was mostly gangbangers fighting over tuff/drug control after the HA went to jail leaving all the small dogs to fight it out. HAMC kept things under control but with them gone it was a shooting galley.

Add MacLean's calling us the most prejudiced city written by a corespondent that spent under a week here & based her story on the # of missing/murdered native hookers. The solve rate on those is about 90% with the killer usually found to be native him or herself. 1 of the hazards of the life style.

**********************************************************************************************

I keep my finger on the pulse of my home city pretty good. I've seen the lives lived in various areas from both sides.

TG I gave up the bad side & became a citizen as otherwise I couldn't be typing this. :ph34r:

You 2 sound like troublemakers:lol:

Detroit had a tourism slogan a few years ago:

"Detroit....At least we're not Flint".

Winnipeg shoulda played that card.

"Winnipeg...At least we're not an American City".

Another good game last night, tightened right up.

How the ref made Josi's hit from behind off-setting minors in the 1st is waaay beyond me.

Archived