Sedin's Fairwell Tour - Last Stop Edmonton

I lived in Vancouver from 2004 to 2007 so i basically watched these guys become what they were on their home soil.  I was always cheering for them to suck but admittedly saw way too much talent for that to become a reality.  In their primes, they were the best at cycling the puck that i've ever seen in history and dominated puck possession, often spending entire shifts in the offensive zone.  They had set plays galore and they always knew where each other will go.  Furthermore, not many who played in Vancouver like the city but these two were exceptional.  Through the years, both stayed class acts on and off the ice.  You have to give it to them for being the rare "nice guys" who were also super modest and very humble.  The Canucks never deserved them.

It's fantastic they never won a Cup for the Canucks and they came so close in 2011.  Up two games to zero and KO'd the Bruins top scorer... yet, found a way to choke in Canucks fashion.  It was beautiful.  To this day, i really felt losing Anson Carter set these guys back 3 to 4 years.  I know Alex "Sedin" Burrows eventually became the third twin but they never found a guy like Carter.  Big, RHS, RW, knew how to find space, had a great finish, and boy did he mesh well with the twins.  The Canucks refused to pay the man $2-mil-per for 3-years.  The Canucks wouldn't budge for a dollar more than $1.8-mil-per or something really stupid like that.  Carter could've scored 40-goals per season if they brought him back (but somewhat shame on Carter for being so greedy too).  They never got that RHS RW again for the Canucks the entire prime of their careers (and Carter never enjoyed playing with such talent again, effectively ending his own career).

Obviously, a love/hate for them.  Can't deny they were great players.  They literally invented the "slap-pass".  Both should be first ballot Hall of Famers and deservedly so.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but i think the title of this thread is disappointing. I think through their career's they proved that they were much, much better than the Sister label. Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine. I understand we're Flames fans but I also think certain players deserve our respect and I think the Sedins fall into that category. They were pros pros. 

What an amazing script last night too that Daniel scores the GWG, on an assist from Hank after a shift were they dominant the cycle for over a minute. Just an awesome story. 2 great players who at their peak were amazing to watch. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Don't mean to sound harsh, but i think the title of this thread is disappointing. I think through their career's they proved that they were much, much better than the Sister label. Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine. I understand we're Flames fans but I also think certain players deserve our respect and I think the Sedins fall into that category. They were pros pros. 

What an amazing script last night too that Daniel scores the GWG, on an assist from Hank after a shift were they dominant the cycle for over a minute. Just an awesome story. 2 great players who at their peak were amazing to watch. 

Nicely said Cross16....   I dont really need to say much about there on ice play but its there off ice where they really deserve credit. The amount of charity work these guys did goes above and beyond and I know this first hand. So many times these guys visited the hospital or events unanounced so there wouldnt be any media attention. Stories of them driving away from the rink but turning around because not everyone got an autograph, or never turning down a conversation when approached on the streets. Rookie players talking about how nervous they were to get called up yet they would be met at the airport by the twins and taken to there home for lunch and welcoming them to the team. These guys were class acts and it shows when a few games out, the opposing teams and refs are lining up after the game to shake hands and wish them well.  They could have hung on and signed for a couple more years but they want to spend time with there families which is also admirable..... 

Wish them all the best

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I lived in Vancouver from 2004 to 2007 so i basically watched these guys become what they were on their home soil.  I was always cheering for them to suck but admittedly saw way too much talent for that to become a reality.  In their primes, they were the best at cycling the puck that i've ever seen in history and dominated puck possession, often spending entire shifts in the offensive zone.  They had set plays galore and they always knew where each other will go.  Furthermore, not many who played in Vancouver like the city but these two were exceptional.  Through the years, both stayed class acts on and off the ice.  You have to give it to them for being the rare "nice guys" who were also super modest and very humble.  The Canucks never deserved them.

It's fantastic they never won a Cup for the Canucks and they came so close in 2011.  Up two games to zero and KO'd the Bruins top scorer... yet, found a way to choke in Canucks fashion.  It was beautiful.  To this day, i really felt losing Anson Carter set these guys back 3 to 4 years.  I know Alex "Sedin" Burrows eventually became the third twin but they never found a guy like Carter.  Big, RHS, RW, knew how to find space, had a great finish, and boy did he mesh well with the twins.  The Canucks refused to pay the man $2-mil-per for 3-years.  The Canucks wouldn't budge for a dollar more than $1.8-mil-per or something really stupid like that.  Carter could've scored 40-goals per season if they brought him back (but somewhat shame on Carter for being so greedy too).  They never got that RHS RW again for the Canucks the entire prime of their careers (and Carter never enjoyed playing with such talent again, effectively ending his own career).

Obviously, a love/hate for them.  Can't deny they were great players.  They literally invented the "slap-pass".  Both should be first ballot Hall of Famers and deservedly so.

That was an excellent summary. They were amazing at cycling the puck. As a Flames fan, I found it really irritating. They are also quite humble people and I find that to be a great trait. 

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Is it possible to modify the thread title assuming that The_Snowbear is willing to change it? The Sedins are probably the only classy thing about the Lower Mainland. 

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

That was an excellent summary. They were amazing at cycling the puck. As a Flames fan, I found it really irritating. They are also quite humble people and I find that to be a great trait. 

Is it possible to modify the thread title assuming that The_Snowbear is willing to change it? The Sedins are probably the only classy thing about the Lower Mainland. 

All titles can be changed by the thread creater or a mod. 

• travel_dude changed the title to Sedin's Fairwell Tour - Last Stop Edmonton
1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

i tried to change the title and couldnt

No worries.

When they were playing, they were subject to ridicule, but they didn't hurt us much in the last few years.

Won;t be the same team without them, but they have a few guys that will be thorns in our sides.

Archived