Tyler Parsons Goalie of the future ?

So we pickup the top Goalie of the draft as far as I can tell wins the Memorial Cup and named top Goalie of the tourney not bad pick Ranked at #3 for Goalies I'm pumped.

I think he's elite.  I don't know if he was the best goalie in the draft, but I definitely thought he was in the top 2.

Most reports have him in the top 5, but he was the fastest rising among them.

I really thought it was between him and Carter Hart.  I'm really glad we got one of them.

I have him 3rd on our prospect depth chart.

Gillies

McDonald

Parsons

Schneider

That's in order of upside.

Totally respectable assessment, and very difficult to do, given the vooodoo that is goalies.

But given that this is the Parsons thread, I'll give my own:

1.  Gillies/Parsons     -projecting as starters.  Elite.    

2.  Schneider/MacDonald     -currently projecting as backups but with lot of time to turn that around.

-Schneider, in Particular, has shown Flashes of elite brilliance, but a larger sample size is needed.

*David Rittich / Ortio   - somewhat different classification.   Both have backup projections with possible starter potential.

Too hard for me to rank in order.   But it's Gillies and Parsons at a whole other level, and Schneirder/MacDonald currently as longer shots.

Think of it this way, between MacDonald and Parsons:

MacDonald is currently 12th in the QMJHL, at 20 years of age (depending on how you adjust the rankings):

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=QMJHL&season=2015#goaltending

Parsons, at TWO YEARS YOUNGER, is 2nd in the OHL.  Including Overagers:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=OHL&season=2015

BOTH played for Good teams  (yes, Parson's Was better, but we're looking at save percentages).

MacDonald has consistently Dropped in performance during the playoffs.

Parsons, on the other hand, was able to Close the deal in a way that MacDonald never could, by Elevating his playoff performance, at Two Years younger.

Anything can happen, it's voodoo.   But if you ask me, the difference is staggering.  And response to pressure, with goalies, means EVERYTHING.

I put Gillies and Parsons as our two elite prospects at this time.   A lot could change this season, with Parsons being so young, and Gillies coming off major surgery.  But at the moment, I believe that's what we have.

Totally respectable assessment, and very difficult to do, given the vooodoo that is goalies.

But given that this is the Parsons thread, I'll give my own:

1.  Gillies/Parsons     -projecting as starters.  Elite.    

2.  Schneider/MacDonald     -currently projecting as backups but with lot of time to turn that around.

-Schneider, in Particular, has shown Flashes of elite brilliance, but a larger sample size is needed.

*David Rittich / Ortio   - somewhat different classification.   Both have backup projections with possible starter potential.

Too hard for me to rank in order.   But it's Gillies and Parsons at a whole other level, and Schneirder/MacDonald currently as longer shots.

Think of it this way, between MacDonald and Parsons:

MacDonald is currently 12th in the QMJHL, at 20 years of age (depending on how you adjust the rankings):

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=QMJHL&season=2015#goaltending

Parsons, at TWO YEARS YOUNGER, is 2nd in the OHL.  Including Overagers:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=OHL&season=2015

BOTH played for Good teams  (yes, Parson's Was better, but we're looking at save percentages).

MacDonald has consistently Dropped in performance during the playoffs.

Parsons, on the other hand, was able to Close the deal in a way that MacDonald never could, by Elevating his playoff performance, at Two Years younger.

Anything can happen, it's voodoo.   But if you ask me, the difference is staggering.  And response to pressure, with goalies, means EVERYTHING.

I put Gillies and Parsons as our two elite prospects at this time.   A lot could change this season, with Parsons being so young, and Gillies coming off major surgery.  But at the moment, I believe that's what we have.

Just looking at playoff numbers

McDonald faced 37.4 shots per game.

Parsons faced 28.9 shots per game.

I don't care what goalie is net if he is facing that many shots every night his stats are going to get skewed. To say both played on good teams is flat out wrong a good team doesn't allow nearly 40 shots a night. London had multiple players drafted in the first two rounds, Charlottetown had two not counting McDonald. If you are just looking at their elite prospects pages you aren't looking deep enough.

IMO McDonald has Gillies type upside, I don't see that with Parsons. To me Parsons is closer to Schneider.

Just looking at playoff numbers

McDonald faced 37.4 shots per game.

Parsons faced 28.9 shots per game.

I don't care what goalie is net if he is facing that many shots every night his stats are going to get skewed. To say both played on good teams is flat out wrong a good team doesn't allow nearly 40 shots a night. London had multiple players drafted in the first two rounds, Charlottetown had two not counting McDonald. If you are just looking at their elite prospects pages you aren't looking deep enough.

IMO McDonald has Gillies type upside, I don't see that with Parsons. To me Parsons is closer to Schneider.

Well, many ways of looking at it.

With save percentage, it's usually easier to have a better save percentage when you face a lot of shots.

So you would expect McDonald to have the better stats there, but he doesn't.

McDonald's team dropped off a bit this year, but a better comparison is last year.  And yes, they were a good team last year.

Parson's team was good, but they were not nearly the best team in the league.  Not until he emerged.

As far as I can see MacD wasn't that great in the worlds and he had a great team behind him, But saying that Blackwood wasn't much better. Parsons on the other hand has won the OHL and the memorial I would say meh if it was just the O's but to win it all says something about the player and the adversity that comes with going through such a tough stretch of games. He faced a ton of good quality players through that stretch and won. To another point we have a flock of goalies now and can't sustain them all perhaps 1 or 2 can go the the ECHL  and a couple in the A's and junior's but sooner or later we will be moving them either trade or just buy out of course  that is still awhile away in saying that it is a good problem to have.   

Parsons has been invited to the US World Junior Summer camp along with Matt Tkachuk and Adam Fox.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/2602432-original-u-s-camp-roster

I think Dillon Dube is the only Flames prospect who's been invited to the Canadian summer camp.  Still, we should be well-represented at the tournament this year.

Only drafted two this year, Dube and Phillips.  All our other prospects Canadian are too old, except Bruce.

The two recent Belarussian picks and Kylington could get the invite for their countries.

Only drafted two this year, Dube and Phillips.  All our other prospects Canadian are too old, except Bruce.

The two recent Belarussian picks and Kylington could get the invite for their countries.

Kylington didn't get an invite to the summer camp.

I don't like the term goalie of the future when it comes to prospects. They are so hit and miss that I feel that title often gets misused. I think what matters more is the flames now have a lot of depth there and a few options of young goalies who could emerge as goalie of the future.

Kylington didn't get an invite to the summer camp.

I don't like the term goalie of the future when it comes to prospects. They are so hit and miss that I feel that title often gets misused. I think what matters more is the flames now have a lot of depth there and a few options of young goalies who could emerge as goalie of the future.

Maybe I wasn't clear.  O was talking about being invited to play.  Yes, the summer invites go a long way towards getting the WJC nod, but in the end, it comes down to who is having a good season and politics.  Kylington's contract was negotiated out of, so there was no surprise last year.  This year it may come down to BPA and who gets released to play.

Maybe I wasn't clear. O was talking about being invited to play. Yes, the summer invites go a long way towards getting the WJC nod, but in the end, it comes down to who is having a good season and politics. Kylington's contract was negotiated out of, so there was no surprise last year. This year it may come down to BPA and who gets released to play.

Normally for Sweden if you don't go to the summer camp you don't play in the world juniors though. That's typically how they operate.

Archived