Ads on jerseys...

Heartbreaker

Today there's an article on TSN that may be overshadowed by the passing of the great Mr. Hockey, and that we're currently in the midst of the Stanley Cup Final, but it's something that shouldn't go unnoticed. 

Here's a link to the article: http://www.tsn.ca/ads-on-nhl-jerseys-fine-says-mlse-boss-1.504460

In the event that this thread lasts longer than the article is posted, here's what it says: 

The new chief executive of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment said he supports placing advertising patches on NHL jerseys, despite the blowback the Original Six team might receive from hockey traditionalists.

“The NBA has just gone forward allowing patches,” said MLSE president and chief executive officer Michael Friisdahl. “I think in a measured, tasteful, controlled way it’s absolutely fine.”

Friisdahl has been on the job for six months with Canada’s largest sports holding company. Almost two weeks after the conclusion of the Toronto Raptors season, Friisdahl sat down for his first meaningful interviews with a small group of media outlets on Thursday.

In April, MLSE executives told TSN that they set a target price for companies interested in advertising on the jerseys of the Raptors. MLSE officials have suggested to potential advertisers that the on-jersey ads are worth between $4 million and $5 million per season.

NBA owners voted in April to permit jersey ads during the 2017-18 season.

A Toronto sports marketing executive told TSN that if the Raptors can generate $5 million a season for a jersey ad, the Maple Leafs should be able to make twice as much.

Friisdahl, who joined MLSE from Air Canada, where he had been president and chief executive of the airline’s Leisure Group since 2012, agreed that jersey ads are a benefit to a league that typically depends on increases in traditional revenue streams to boost profits.

“This is clearly beneficial from a revenue generation perspective,” he said. “If it’s done tastefully and in a controlled manner it really shouldn’t be something there’s pushback on from our fans. If you look at many other sports, they’ve been doing it for years.

“A lot of hardcore fans may have a belief one way or the other, but we’re also in a sport that is constantly evolving.”

The NHL has said it plans to debut ads on jerseys during the World Cup of Hockey and gauge fan reaction during the September tournament before deciding whether to sell ads on NHL team sweaters.

During a meeting of NHL team presidents in New York in 2014, league officials estimated they might raise $4 million per team – or $120 million annually – by allowing corporate sponsors to put their logos front and centre on jerseys.

So what do you think? 

Love. 

Provided it is small i don't have a problem with it. I don't like European hockey and the jersey's full of ads, but I don't mind the CFL at all who just puts a patch or two just off the shoulder and you can barely notice they are there.

More money for the leauge is a good thing IMO so if they can earn some extra money and keep it tastefull I have no problem with it. 

Archived