At what point does a "Rebuild" end?

KidKappa

I was listening to NHL radio and they were talking about teams going into "rebuild" mode.  The oilers entered rebuild when they traded away Smyth, the flames when they traded Iggy.  But when does a rebuild end?  

My answer is two consecutive playoff appearances.  

We already had one, as did Colorado, and the Lightning a few years ago.  But Colorado and us are still in "rebuild" mode, Tampa not so much.  So would that be a legit answer?  

I was listening to NHL radio and they were talking about teams going into "rebuild" mode.  The oilers entered rebuild when they traded away Smyth, the flames when they traded Iggy.  But when does a rebuild end?  

My answer is two consecutive playoff appearances.  

We already had one, as did Colorado, and the Lightning a few years ago.  But Colorado and us are still in "rebuild" mode, Tampa not so much.  So would that be a legit answer?  

Well if you ever find the answer to that question, you might have a job offer from up North that pays big $$. I hear they're looking for someone who knows when a rebuild ends (and how).

Once you assemble a core group & most of your helping pieces you are willing to make a run with you are pretty much done the rebuilding.

Hm, question is what is a core? Edmonton has a big corps of F, Drais, McD, RNH, Ebs, Hall, Yak (maybe). Does a core have to have a certain number of D-men or is it variable (depending on goaltending)?

Hm, question is what is a core? Edmonton has a big corps of F, Drais, McD, RNH, Ebs, Hall, Yak (maybe). Does a core have to have a certain number of D-men or is it variable (depending on goaltending)?

The core is the untradeable players you want to build the remainder of team around.

In the Oilers case they built their team around all their #1 picks + Eberle and they aren't a good fit core. They should have traded 1 or more of those #1's for some D and a Goaltender. Like a bad apple they have a rotten core.

Rebuild is just another way of saying, we suck and we're going to try a different approach. When the Oilers first started it, I believe the rally cry was, "we'll be like the old Oilers".  It was a narrow vision and a failure, because no team is going to skate all over any team in this league with consistency. Their failed plan never changed until this past year by hiring a new GM and coach, so the vision will change when the new staff remove old vision pieces in favour of their vision pieces, we'll see.

In our case, it's hard to keep waving the "we're rebuilding" banner. We're built and have a ton of issues to build better, that's the same as every team in the league. Chicago manages to have to do that each successive year around their core.

Relying on the draft and not much else, the Oilers have driven that stake deep enough. Compare to, say Dallas, who goes out in the market to get what they need to get better.

After next year, we gain a lot of cap to fix some things, problem is still we don't have much trading power.

My definition is, once you climb out of the cellars and make the playoffs for the first time, then you are out of a rebuild because technically, once you make the playoffs, then you are challenging for the Cup.  A rebuilding team is not one that has a chance to win the Cup.

So what do we call this season of the Flames?  It's an "off-year", a "disappointing season", an "underachieving season", or "taking a step back".  Or simply, "we sucked".  It is no way shape or form, "a natural progression of an ongoing rebuild" because the rebuild is over.  There's nothing ongoing about it.  We should be in a "tooling phase" while we tweak the peripheral pieces until we find the right mix to win the Cup.  Not admitting we were just a horrible team this season is an excuse to soften the blow.  It's to mask the shame.

I would say a rebuild begins when a team sells off it's best veterans for picks and prospects, and consciously moves toward creating a new core of younger players. It ends (imo) when the team becomes a buyer (or at least not a seller) at the trade deadline. At that point picks and prospects have lost a lot of value to the team and it's all about moving forward with what you have. The Flames have been sellers at the trade deadline every year for 4 seasons now, so we are still in a rebuild.

For me a rebuild ends when you have a new core that you want to move forwrad with and can be competitive with so I agree the Flames are done re building becuae they ahve their Core. The problem with Edmonton is yes they found a "core" but it was not a core they would be competitive with. When you have no top pairing calibre dmen on your roster you do not have a competitive core, thats why Oilers have yet to finish "rebuilding" and Flames have. 

Archived