Flames mentioned on Primetime sports

Those pin heads in the east are jealous of what the flames have built up . Let's face it outa the six canadian teams . Only the flames have the best shot at going anywhere in the playoffs . Where did the three teams in the east finish ? only montreal made the playoffs and were bounced in four . In the west two teams at least made the playoffs and 1 of the 2 got to the second round . This continues to prove the western conferance is more talent laden and far more competitive then the east . Ottawa has been begging for reggie , iggy, phaneuf for years ... So when trade rumours begin . Everyone automaticly includes ottawa with calgary for trades . An shock most of the rumors start in the east at the toronto sports network ( TSN ) or through that R-tard mcgowen on prime time sports on sports net another toronto network ...

To be fair, the Trades have not finish yet. Teams are still biulding up for the next season. And we dont know what the rosters will look like come September.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Flames can't afford both JBow and Heatley. Lets say for argument sake JBow signs for 6.5, pretty conservative IMO, and the trade is done.

Flames are at about 45.5 mill already committed. JBow puts them at 52, and the Heatley trade would put them at 53 million. That would mean they would have 3 million dollars for Boyd, another forward, and their extra forward, be it a dman/forward. So basically, they wind up in the same problem as last year. One injury away from being screwed. Plus, does it accomplish the goal of getting better on defence? IMO, no. I actually think they get a little worse with trading Phaneuf for JBow, but thats my opinioin. Again, i'll repeat it, their problem is defence not offence. Yes i understand you trade Phaneuf essenially for both Heater and JBow but I don't see it that way. I see it as you lose cap space and don't get better defensivly because now you have to look at someone like Gio or Pelech to play in your top 6. Doesn't make any sort of sense from a Flames perspective to acquire Dany Heatley.

But to be fair to the prime time sports guys, they just report what they hear, they don't speculate themselves. I have heard reports that Ignila wants out, don't beelive them of course, but it didn't orginate with them so lets be fair to them. Its a sports opinion show after all, but the guys just arn't very intuned to what happens out West.

Nobody is untouchable, but the Flames do have some needs.

They cannot afford to trade Phaneuf, unless it is for another strong defenceman. This is true with, or without JBow signed. Since Phaneuf has underperformed the last few seasons, they would not likely get fair value for him. It would only happen if they truly gave up on him, which I believe would be foolish at his age.

Trading Iginla would essentially be breaking up the team. I don't see it as necessary. I think this team is close.

Trading Kipper would help unload their salary, but they would get very little back. Any team willing to take his salary with his performance last year would not give much in return. Again, I don't see the point in trading an underperforming player unless you've truly given up on them. Since we had no defensive system, we did not give Kipper a chance and thus I do not see the need to give up on him. We do have Irving, but this would be a stretch.

Jokinen is another salary hog, and you might actually get fair value for him with his playoff performance. He can be a defensive liability, so he could conceivably be traded for a cheaper two-way forward. If any big name were to be traded, this guy would be my first guess. Still, I was very impressed with his playoff performance and would be reluctant to part with a European that actually raises their game when it matters most.

Thus, I don't see any big moves and don't anticipate getting Heatley. Heatley is the complete opposite direction of where this the Flames are moving this year. If you were going to trade anyone for him, it would be Jokinen.

(and if my salary math is all wrong, my apologies. I'm doing this on the fly)

So I was listening to Primetime today and they had alot of interesting things about the flames and relevant topics.

According to them:

Bowmeester is not worth 6 mill.

Out of all the canadian teams the Oilers have the most potential upside this year becuase they have Quinn now. (53 mins)

Calgary is not young and Sutter is at the end of his rope.

There is a rumor that iginla is unhappy. (54 mins)

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/' target="_blank">Link [/post]

Here's the link. First one. Start listening at about 53 minutes.

Discuss.

Jelousy is so ugly. If Burke had tried for J-Bo they would have been over the moon at his "drive to make this team better" GM of the year!!

Quinn is the only coach they know, so of course they think this..

Which Sutter? the one with 2yrs of NHL experience but proven track record of motivating and winning, or the one which just swung the steal of the year right out from everyones nose?

They are an embarassment and upset that all the hype they have been putting into burke, has turned out to be hot air...surprise surprise

Nobody is untouchable, but the Flames do have some needs.

They cannot afford to trade Phaneuf, unless it is for another strong defenceman. This is true with, or without JBow signed. Since Phaneuf has underperformed the last few seasons, they would not likely get fair value for him. It would only happen if they truly gave up on him, which I believe would be foolish at his age.

Trading Iginla would essentially be breaking up the team. I don't see it as necessary. I think this team is close.

Trading Kipper would help unload their salary, but they would get very little back. Any team willing to take his salary with his performance last year would not give much in return. Again, I don't see the point in trading an underperforming player unless you've truly given up on them. Since we had no defensive system, we did not give Kipper a chance and thus I do not see the need to give up on him. We do have Irving, but this would be a stretch.

Jokinen is another salary hog, and you might actually get fair value for him with his playoff performance. He can be a defensive liability, so he could conceivably be traded for a cheaper two-way forward. If any big name were to be traded, this guy would be my first guess. Still, I was very impressed with his playoff performance and would be reluctant to part with a European that actually raises their game when it matters most.

Thus, I don't see any big moves and don't anticipate getting Heatley. Heatley is the complete opposite direction of where this the Flames are moving this year. If you were going to trade anyone for him, it would be Jokinen.

(and if my salary math is all wrong, my apologies. I'm doing this on the fly)

"Phaneuf has under performed the last few seasons"? define a few, because the one before last he had his highest point total and was a norris cand. How is between 17 and 20 goals underperforming? give him a break already, he is 24.

I think it's a little funny that you all think these guys are pro-Leafs.

They talk about them a lot obviously, that's their market, but whether you like McCown or not if you've ever listened to the show you know he is pretty much constantly bashing that mess of a team. The only reason Burke is getting off lighter at the moment is because he's had a relatively small window to do anything that you can really complain about given the state of the team.

The Flames are losing Aucoin, Leopold, and Vandermeer off their top 6. So far, they've only added Bouwmeester. To trade away a Dman at this point creates holes on the blueline which will cost the Flames $4-mil or more in the UFA market to patch. There is no cap space for this and playing Giordano, Pardy, or Pelech in the top 4 is risky.

Heatley is a great player but the Flames need Dmen more than they need a winger.

If theyre trading Phaneuf, the only other option is for Calgary to trade Phaneuf to a team willing to give up a top 4 dman along with maybe 2 more fwds in exchange. 1 Fwd whohas a decent possibility of playing in the top 6 and another able to play bottom6 at the very least out of the farm... That would give the flames much needed cap space, and fill in two voids...

I know I may get ridiculed, but, i would make a bid for Kaberle and a leaf fwd or two (maybe a conditional pick on top of it?) for Phaneuf. Take your pick from Leafs fwds who may do well in our system, but doesnt really fit in Toronto's rebuild mold as highly as phaneuf might... I could see Burke salivate at it.

If you do trade phaneuf, trade him to an eastern conference team where he doesnt play the Flames very often and doesnt hurt us in any way... Which to me, is why Toronto would be a good fit for him. Kaberle is a top 4 and is pretty good at moving the puck and I believe under-rated defensively as a defensemen, at a decent price too.

Iginla may have wanted out last year, but I cant see him wanting out with the changes that are taking place this summer. And, who knows, maybe there are personalities on the team that need to be addressed? I wouldnt know who, but maybe it is making Iginla unhappy thus making some more expendable... and IF, only IF, Iginla really wants out, what would he get on the open market?

Bowmeester is not worth 6 mill.

Sure, why would a twenty-five year old, 6'4", puck moving, two time All-Star, Olympic team defenseman be worth 6 mill?

Out of all the canadian teams the Oilers have the most potential upside this year becuase they have Quinn now. (53 mins)

We'll see about that.

Calgary is not young and Sutter is at the end of his rope.

Sure, that makes sense.

There is a rumor that iginla is unhappy. (54 mins)

Because Bob McCown would be the first to know. :rolleyes:

Archived