CHI Puts Bryan Bickell on waivers

Kulstad

would have been a great deal for the Hawks had they been able to pull it off.

Bickell is one of the rare mistake that Bowman and co have made. that deal was horrible the 2nd they signed it and a bit out of character because they've been pretty good at not getting too "sentimental" with players.

I don't think he gets claimed becuase i can't see a team wanting that contract.

would have been a great deal for the Hawks had they been able to pull it off.

Bickell is one of the rare mistake that Bowman and co have made. that deal was horrible the 2nd they signed it and a bit out of character because they've been pretty good at not getting too "sentimental" with players.

I don't think he gets claimed becuase i can't see a team wanting that contract.

Your right I can't see too many teams wanting to jump in to help with Bowmans mistake.

On the other hand.

"they've been pretty good at not getting too "sentimental" with players."

Kane and Teows (21 mil) do not equal Giordano,Hamilton,Frolik,Brodie (21.4 mil)

I'm doubt I would trade Monahan and JG for Kane and Toews ( just me being "sentimental" I guess)

Your right I can't see too many teams wanting to jump in to help with Bowmans mistake.

On the other hand.

I'm doubt I would trade Monahan and JG for Kane and Toews ( just me being "sentimental" I guess)

Signing 2 of the NHL's best players for what at the time was a market value contract isn't sentimental, its just good business.

of course at their current salaries you would take JG and Mony in a heartbeat but that's not a fair comparison. Give Mony/JG 5 to 6 years in the league procuding at their current or better levels and then tell me what you expect them to make.

On the other hand.

Correct, Kane & Toews are way overpaid, even as star players.  Heck, pretty much all star players are overpaid for that matter....

Signing 2 of the NHL's best players for what at the time was a market value contract isn't sentimental, its just good business.

of course at their current salaries you would take JG and Mony in a heartbeat but that's not a fair comparison. Give Mony/JG 5 to 6 years in the league procuding at their current or better levels and then tell me what you expect them to make.

Couldn't disagree more, that is well above market value for what either players brings to the team. Not good business when you factor-in the contracts may be what keeps them from another cup, due to lack of money for depth players. There are other players with better contracts that bring the same to the table as Kane and Toews that I would much rather have on my team.

They're horrendous contracts, to say the least.

Couldn't disagree more, that is well above market value for what either players brings to the team. Not good business when you factor-in the contracts may be what keeps them from another cup, due to lack of money for depth players. There are other players with better contracts that bring the same to the table as Kane and Toews that I would much rather have on my team.

If you're banking on them being Art Ross or Richard trophy winners year in and year out, then yes they aren't quite up there with the Crosby's or others, but just out of curiosity who are these players with better contracts with 5+ years of experience that bring the same to the table.  These two are a rarity, come playoff time in games 5-7 of a series when many stars can get shut down or worn down they consistently take over the series.  

If you're banking on them being Art Ross or Richard trophy winners year in and year out, then yes they aren't quite up there with the Crosby's or others, but just out of curiosity who are these players with better contracts with 5+ years of experience that bring the same to the table.  These two are a rarity, come playoff time in games 5-7 of a series when many stars can get shut down or worn down they consistently take over the series.  

My point was; None of that will matter when the team's depth is non-existent due to those crippling contracts. Don't get me wrong, I agree that they're phenomenal clutch performers, but no player is worth that much, it's just ridiculous.

My point was; None of that will matter when the team's depth is non-existent due to those crippling contracts. Don't get me wrong, I agree that they're phenomenal clutch performers, but no player is worth that much, it's just ridiculous.

I think, in relation to other sports, hockey players should be worth that much, but the fact is, the NHL doesn't have the same revenue.

The NHL should've put a % max of the Cap a player could make i

Yes but when where thy signed? What superstar has signed a big extension like Kane and Towes did last summer.? It's not fair to compare the toews and Kane deals to guys llike Crosby, Malkin etc because there deals were signed under very different economic circumstances and at different levels of the cap. PK Subban signed at 9 mill per seasons and toews and Kane arnt worth 10? Not a chance.

Look at their team this year and then look at their farm system and try and tell me depth is going to be an issue for them. Their depth is arguably better this year than it was last year.

I don't think Subban is worth 9. But that's a different discussion, I would say Kane and Toews are worth about 8.5, only because the NHL's revenue structures and relation to the cap.

The only reason Chicago could be deeper is because they fleeced other teams in some of the salary dumps.

Also, we know salary dumps don't always work out that great, like when we needed to get rid of Theo Fleury.

Reggie was good, but he was the only one that amounted to anything.

You can't criticize Chicago for what they did previously because they won 3 cups. They are the modern dynasty.

I get that it's easier to criticize the recent contracts. But if you have a modern dynasty you keep the core intact. Time will tell if they can win by being that top heavy. But what choice did they have?

Here is some food for thought for those who think the Hawks overpaid or are triying to criticize what they did.

Crosby's cap hit is 8.7 on a deal he signed for the 13-14 season with a Salary cap of 64.3 mill. That is 14% of the salary cap and also keep it mind it was a 12 year front loaded deal that is no longer allowed.

Evgeni Malkin is also a cap hit of 9.5 mill pers season which kickedin last year with a salary cap of 69 mill or 14% of the cap.

Alex Ovechkin is a 9.5 cap hit that stared in 2009 when he signed a 13 year deal (also not allowed anymore) at a salary cap of 56.7 million or 17% of the cap number.

Toews and Kane are identical 10.5 mill cap hit starting this year on a cap of 71 million or 15% of the cap.

Towes and Kane are right in the ballpark for where they should be paid when you look past the dollar amound and look at % of the slaary cap which is what you need to do otherwise you arn't comparing apples to applies, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Archived