Boston over a Barrel: Hamilton and/or Brett Connolly

ABC923

Boston's cap situation is a well known problem, meaning they must make changes this off season. That said, they are vulnerable to an offer sheet. Hamilton is a trending upward asset as a right shooting d-man, with a higher ceiling than brodie and size to boot. An offer sheet of around 7x5 would cost us a first, second, and third rounder next year.

On the flip side, Connolly is a former sixth overall draft pick who has not lived up to his potential. That said, he is a right shooting forward with upside. An offer sheet of around 2 million per would cost us a second, 1.8 only a third.

The B's have just under 9 million in cap space to sign at least 5 players, including 2-3 forwards, 2 defence and a goalie. If they don't make a trade to free up cap space before free agency, these players will be very vulnerable.

Id actually assume that we would have better luck making a trade for connolly. I think lots of teams  are gunna make an offer sheet for hamilton so the chances of him wanting us are slim. I even heard on the radio this morning about the oilers offering up their 16th OA, 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick + yakupov just as an idea. Prying hamilton out will be hard with the competition for him and Boston probably wanting to retain him.

I can see Boston matching any offer sheet for Hamilton as they don't have much defensive depth. They can go over the cap by 10% I believe during the offseason as long as they are cap compliant by the start of the season.

I think we would be better off targeting some of their forwards like Milan Lucic, Loui Eriksson, Brad Marchand, Reilly Smith, or even Chris Kelly. I think any of those guys could help us out right now. Eriksson and Smith would my first two choices. If we got Smith from Boston we could then go get his brother from Detroit as I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on from him.

I see no reason the flames would be any more unlikely to sign Hamilton to an offer sheet over anyone else, but I do agree Boston likely matches. It would handicap them though. Let's not forget they get no cap relief from Savard until the start of the season (about 4 million), which would limit their offseason cap situation further.

On another note, I would rather we not trade for guys like Lucic or Eriksson, as they would be ufa at season's end. Smith perhaps, although I would be intrigued by Tory Krug as well. He's a solid puck moving defenceman with a decent plus-minus, and is only 24. We could offer up a second and third in this year's draft, giving boston a much needed 3.4 million in cap space.

I can see Boston matching any offer sheet for Hamilton as they don't have much defensive depth. They can go over the cap by 10% I believe during the offseason as long as they are cap compliant by the start of the season.

I think we would be better off targeting some of their forwards like Milan Lucic, Loui Eriksson, Brad Marchand, Reilly Smith, or even Chris Kelly. I think any of those guys could help us out right now. Eriksson and Smith would my first two choices. If we got Smith from Boston we could then go get his brother from Detroit as I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on from him.

We've got a glut of forwards and D, especially bottom6 and 4-6D.  If the player isn't higher end we should not even be interested.  That said Hamilton and perhaps Lucic might be of interest but not at the cost of any of our better prospects.

I would be targeting Erikkson and Connolly only.  Soderburg will get a big raise, as will Spooner.  Hamilton is going to make them vulnerable, and who knows what a new GM will do.

I see no reason the flames would be any more unlikely to sign Hamilton to an offer sheet over anyone else, but I do agree Boston likely matches. It would handicap them though. Let's not forget they get no cap relief from Savard until the start of the season (about 4 million), which would limit their offseason cap situation further.

On another note, I would rather we not trade for guys like Lucic or Eriksson, as they would be ufa at season's end. Smith perhaps, although I would be intrigued by Tory Krug as well. He's a solid puck moving defenceman with a decent plus-minus, and is only 24. We could offer up a second and third in this year's draft, giving boston a much needed 3.4 million in cap space.

I like Krug and he may be the sleeper in this scenario.

Not a bad player but too small for a D. If you're going to make a splash, make sure its a real upgrade.

I agree. We have offence from our D but the need is a defensive type. I'd take Seidenberg (33 & 4.0 x 3 left of his contract) on the cheap with the best piece given a 3rd or 4th rounder.

If I were inclined to help Boston out of their cap mess the player I'd target is Marchand but we already have tough LWs. I just hope he's not traded to the west as that little MF is tough as nails but has good hands.

They definitely don't want to trade Krug, but considering his cap hit and the situation they find themselves in they may need to swallow a poison pill here and take a bad deal in order to sign key players like Hamilton.

They will be able to move one of their forwards (Lucic, Eriksson, Marchand, Kelly) to clear the space they need. They won't have to trade Krug.

I would love a Marchand type player! The Canucks would hate us even more. :P

I agree. We have offence from our D but the need is a defensive type. I'd take Seidenberg (33 & 4.0 x 3 left of his contract) on the cheap with the best piece given a 3rd or 4th rounder.

If I were inclined to help Boston out of their cap mess the player I'd target is Marchand but we already have tough LWs. I just hope he's not traded to the west as that little MF is tough as nails but has good hands.

We have a couple of tough LW, but they're more hitters and not elbowing-disturbers like Marchand is. 

Ferland was a little bit of that, but it wasn't like he was dirty. He played on the edge, but it was the fact he was huge and a lot thought his hits were charging. Which I see a lot of NHLers do, but that's another story. 

We have a couple of tough LW, but they're more hitters and not elbowing-disturbers like Marchand is. 

Ferland was a little bit of that, but it wasn't like he was dirty. He played on the edge, but it was the fact he was huge and a lot thought his hits were charging. Which I see a lot of NHLers do, but that's another story. 

Personally I disagree with the charging its based on distance travelled or leaving your feet. I dont think he hit anyone differently then anyone else in the NHL hes just a big body as you said.

Also I see lucic as a better addition to our team then marchand is.

Its not just a matter of throwing money at Hamilton, he has to sign the offer still. I dont think you can get to a point where Boston doesnt match and you arent overpaying for in both assets to acquire and cap space. Connolly they just traded for and then he got hurt. I think they will sign him quickly to a cheap 1 year prove me contract. 

Erikkson is the guy I have the most interest in and I think is the most likely to get moved. Cost will be decent albeit not overly substantial and I think doable and maybe could be centered around Colborne. Drafted my Boston and fits the bruins mold. Would take more but I think that's a starting point. I would have interest in Connolly too but I don't they move him unless you pass more then the 2 2nds they spent getting him, I believe it was.

Erikkson is the guy I have the most interest in and I think is the most likely to get moved. Cost will be decent albeit not overly substantial and I think doable and maybe could be centered around Colborne. Drafted my Boston and fits the bruins mold. Would take more but I think that's a starting point. I would have interest in Connolly too but I don't they move him unless you pass more then the 2 2nds they spent getting him, I believe it was.

I am all for targeting Erikkson and Connolly.  Colborne, Jooris, a 2nd and a prospect (d-man) would be a good start.  We could just OS Connolly, but would prefer to go the trade route.  Also, sign Bartkowski as a FA.

I am all for targeting Erikkson and Connolly.  Colborne, Jooris, a 2nd and a prospect (d-man) would be a good start.  We could just OS Connolly, but would prefer to go the trade route.  Also, sign Bartkowski as a FA.

Not sure about all three of those guys.  Bartkowski is definitely marginal, and Boston already tried to get rid of him once (failed Iginla trade).  Erikkson was great in Dallas but hasn't done much in Boston.  Connolly looked good in JR but hasn't transitioned well to the NHL, getting passed by others.  Sound familiar?  They all may turn out great, I'd just want to make sure the PRO scouts are darn sure before making any deals...

Not sure about all three of those guys.  Bartkowski is definitely marginal, and Boston already tried to get rid of him once (failed Iginla trade).  Erikkson was great in Dallas but hasn't done much in Boston.  Connolly looked good in JR but hasn't transitioned well to the NHL, getting passed by others.  Sound familiar?  They all may turn out great, I'd just want to make sure the PRO scouts are darn sure before making any deals...

Bart is a UFA, so little risk there; not suggesting overpayment.  He fell out of favor in BOS. 

Eriksson had some injury troubles but rebounded last season.  How many 22+ goal scorers do we have right now?  Three.  How many of those are RW?  One.  He also was the player brought back for Seguin, so he will never satisfy some fans.

Connolly is a RHS.  Young enough to turn it around.  Tall guy.  RW possible. 

I am all for this if hes available. I have always liked Seidenberg since his days in Florida. Very solid Defensive dman would be perfect on our second pairing. As an added bonus, he's a hitting and shot-blocking machine.

http://www.tsn.ca/du...talent-1.315613

The Flames as I see it are in biggest need of a) Adding a D prospect that can project into a top 2 role in the future and handle a top 4 role now and B) A top 6 winger

Yost's scenario detailed here fits the Flames perfectly. We would gladly spend our first and third for Hamilton or one of our three seconds for Connolly.

The downside is we would have to overspend for the players deals by about 1-2 million each. That said the strategy is to handcuff the team now so it could be only a 2 yr deal (think O'Reilly deal). You make for an expensive qualifying offer down the road but you can always negotiate a more reasonable salary if the player doesn't progress.

We won't get both players but we should get ONE of them.

This works because both players are projected to be top players at their position if not elite.

Boston will likely retain Hamilton due to him being that rare prospect but this should net us a solid top 6 forward just about ready to take on a bigger role in Connolly.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler
Connolly/Bennett/Poirier

That looks like a top 6 that can grow into something quite deadly over the next couple years.

I prefer Connolly to Spooner due to higher potential, bigger body, more well rounded and Spooner is doubling down on the smallish fast offensive player we already have a few of.

I like your thinking on this the only problem being in the unlikely scenario that boston is just like screw it and takes all the picks. I doubt that happens but who knows. Personally I dont see connolly having elite upside, probably more like 2nd line upside. But it would be nice to have those options with Klimchuk, Poirier and a Connolly in the system. Rather then offersheeting I would just say offering a trade is just a safer route in this scenario, we could offer granlund and a 2nd with the pretext that we will offersheet, I think Boston would be silly not to take that.

I like your thinking on this the only problem being in the unlikely scenario that boston is just like screw it and takes all the picks. I doubt that happens but who knows. Personally I dont see connolly having elite upside, probably more like 2nd line upside. But it would be nice to have those options with Klimchuk, Poirier and a Connolly in the system. Rather then offersheeting I would just say offering a trade is just a safer route in this scenario, we could offer granlund and a 2nd with the pretext that we will offersheet, I think Boston would be silly not to take that.

I would never send an offer sheet that I wouldn't be prepared to spend picks on. A first and a third for Hamilton or a second for Connolly is good value on its own.

You do outline a valid scenario in that you discuss a trade first. Knowing that you can bring offer sheets gives you leverage in those talks and you can also get a better contract deal for the player if you make a contract part of the terms.

Peter Chiralli alluded to this situation when he said there are public offer sheets situations and there are private ones. Private ones are essentially just that, teams are using it as leverage to finagle a deal.

Archived