We need to talk about Game Seven

Heartbreaker

As it does, it happened again today on the board, and last night it happened in conversation here in Toronto. In fact, it happens all the time.

Flames fans all over the place believe that the Flames should have won the cup in Game 6 of the 2004 Stanley Cup Final, and they believe that there's a "controversy" over a "non-call".

We're all aware of the play, but to keep it fresh:

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Stanley_Cup_Finals#Game_six

A review from one camera angle appeared to show the puck crossing the goal line before Khabibulin's pad dragged it out, though some argue that the puck had been knocked several inches above the goal line (thus making there appear to be white ice between the puck and the goal line) in front of Khabibulin's pad.

There was no Flames player that reacted to the play as though the puck were in the net, and the play was never reviewed. Furthermore:

It was shown in game seven by ABC television that the NHL made the correct call via a CGI video analysis of the goal in question that proved that the puck never crossed the goal line completely. The CGI company who did the analysis of the video was based out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Here's what was shown on ABC:

So to all of you that believe that the Flames were done an injustice, I ask the following questions:

- What makes you think that TB wouldn't have scored in the final seven minutes? They had the fire power, and they certainly would have been motivated;

- Where were the Flames in the first two periods of Game 7? They only generated 7 shots on net, and trailed 2-0 after 40 minutes...

If you're still upset, then perhaps the second question is the one that should haunt you.

Personally, my 2004 demons have been exorcised. I was extremely proud of that team, and I swear they'd've taken it in 8.

Love,

a lifelong Flames fan...

in Game 6 Flames were believing so I would bet TB would not have scored in Game 7 Flames were broken they lost there will to live sort of speak. There you go both questions answered

Further to the question about CGI just because a company is based out of Calgary doesn't make them Calgary this is a Oil province companies like that go where the money is lots of Movies being made in that era all over here  

Archived