BUF hires Dan Bylsma as new head coach

Kulstad

I suppose I'll sound ignorant here but I don't understand why a team has to give up a draft pick to sign a coach that is no longer employed (i.e. has been fired) by his former team.  adunno_zpsc6ff7e39.gif

If i'm not mistaken, when a coach gets "fired", they are still technically paid for the remainder of their contract.  So, if a coach signs a 5-year deal and gets fired after year 2, then he still gets paid for 3 more years... I don't know Bylsma's status but it could mean he's still on Penguins payroll so he's contractually still bound to the team.  In which case, it required a draft pick as compensation for signing him.

I suppose I'll sound ignorant here but I don't understand why a team has to give up a draft pick to sign a coach that is no longer employed (i.e. has been fired) by his former team.  adunno_zpsc6ff7e39.gif

Apparently the new CBA outlines compensation for employees leaving to go to other organization but they didn`t write the new rule well enough. It was meant for teams who lose employees they like, ie Detroit losing both Nill and Yzerman to GM jobs elsewhere, and compensate them for that but they didn't specify that in the rule so it just says employees. As People said they are technically still under contract and thus employees so the rules apply to them. Apparently when New Jersey hired Ray Shero there was no compensation so the Pens took some flack for not enforcing the rules.

I personally like Byslma and think this is a good hire. Byslma had his best success in Pittsburgh when all that young talent came together and I thought he did a nice job brining that together. Sure Babcock would have been better but I think this is a decent consolation prize.

I personally like Byslma and think this is a good hire. Byslma had his best success in Pittsburgh when all that young talent came together and I thought he did a nice job brining that together. Sure Babcock would have been better but I think this is a decent consolation prize.

Me too, I think BUF finally got something right.  On top of his SC win, I was impressed watching him work leading up to what I believe was the PIT vs WASH winter classic.  

Archived