Russian Swedish Players / Prospects

Even though the Flames were the first to ever get a Russian Players in the NHL, we have never been a strong drafter of Russian Players.

Should this be a focus for us to get stronger finding Russian Prospects?

While going over mock drafts and overseas lists I notice this year appears to be a strong year for Russian born Players in the upcoming draft.

So the questions are:

Should we invest more resources into scouting Russian Players.

Side note: How about Sweden and prospects from that country?

I think if they have shown a commitment to playing in the CHL, they stand a better chance of being drafted early on. It seems to me the risk with using earlier picks on them,is that they dont come over. While that may be the teams fault its also their own choice. I would like to see the highest skilled players drafted regardless of background.

I think if they have shown a commitment to playing in the CHL, they stand a better chance of being drafted early on. It seems to me the risk with using earlier picks on them,is that they dont come over. While that may be the teams fault its also their own choice. I would like to see the highest skilled players drafted regardless of background.

With high round picks teams have to factor in the possibility that the player never plays in NA.

Also, part of the appeal of the televised draft is seeing that kid pull on your teams colors. It'd be rather a letdown if a team calls a name & cameras scan the crowd only to find that the kid cared so little he didn't even bother to send his agent.

The 1s most likely to be NHLers are the 1s that left Europe to learn the language & play the NA game. A bit higher chance of going to a Euro league if they don't like the coach or unhappy about negotiations than NA born players but adds are low enough that it only matters when 2 players are so = that this could tip the scales.

Availability, chances of taking their stick home if offered bigger $s (remember, stars jumped from the NHL to the fledgling WHA for the money) should actually fall under the character part of the pre-draft interview. A yearning for the homeland or the mercenary want for the biggest money before proven means his heart isn't all in.

& DD, the stronger our scouts in all European countries the better the chance of finding a gem. As much as possible they need to be fluenent in the language of the country scouted & English so nothing is lost in prospect interviews nor briefings with the GM. As cultural differences can play a big difference ideally I'd have former NHLers scouting the country they grew up in (Haken Loob/Kent Nilsson for Sweden, Kipper for Finland, etc.). That way the can recognize how likely the player can adjust to a new country & culture. A super skilled player that is a mama's boy who left his heart & concentration @ home is useless as he'll never be fully in the game.

I would never want to see any of the Russian players that left the ice before the Canadian Anthem was played as a member of the Flames at any point in time, no matter how skilled they might be...   As far as I am concerned, those that left can all go play in the KHL and never set foot in North America...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=065Zi6lX5Ac

I don't think the Flames need to invest more in the Russian/Swedish scouting. I think they are solid in those areas they just really haven't good opportunities to take Russian players but to find Rafikov in the 7th round to me shows they've got solid resourced in Russia.

I think its clear under Darryl Sutter the Flames were not going to take Russian players and that's a bit too bad but to me that's been the problems in the Flames Russian drafting. Todd Button hasn't shown the same bias so I don't think its an issue anymore. They were very intrested in Nikita Kucherov in the 2011 ( I think?) draft and when his brother was around Todd and the Flames took a fair number of Russians. I think the issue with Russians is always the KHL and not so much how many resources you have other there.

I don't think the Flames need to invest more in the Russian/Swedish scouting. I think they are solid in those areas they just really haven't good opportunities to take Russian players but to find Rafikov in the 7th round to me shows they've got solid resourced in Russia.

I think its clear under Darryl Sutter the Flames were not going to take Russian players and that's a bit too bad but to me that's been the problems in the Flames Russian drafting. Todd Button hasn't shown the same bias so I don't think its an issue anymore. They were very intrested in Nikita Kucherov in the 2011 ( I think?) draft and when his brother was around Todd and the Flames took a fair number of Russians. I think the issue with Russians is always the KHL and not so much how many resources you have other there.

Craig Button actually set up an intensive scouting of Russian players when he was GM, believing many players were unnoticed and we could likely find players that were lesser known.. it was ended and stopped when DS took over before it could really get into high gear 

Craig Button actually set up an intensive scouting of Russian players when he was GM, believing many players were unnoticed and we could likely find players that were lesser known.. it was ended and stopped when DS took over before it could really get into high gear 

And he was probably right until the KHL came to exist and gave them a legitimate option outside the NHL. Flames picked some decent Russian prospects under Button they just never got to see them unfortunately.

Hopefully they can strike a balance between the two. I don`t think you need a very intensive scouting over there but you need to be scouting Russia and that was a decision of Sutter I didn`t love. Can`t ignore a part of the world that has such good talent IMO, but you do have to tread carefully.

Archived