Because development camp is not considering a sanctioned NHL camp players under contract elsewhere, or playing in the NCAA can still attend so long as they pay their own way or don't breach a contract. Rafikov, even under contract to the khl, could still partake in development camp but would probably have to "pay his own way" like the NCAA guys do.

Because development camp is not considering a sanctioned NHL camp players under contract elsewhere, or playing in the NCAA can still attend so long as they pay their own way or don't breach a contract. Rafikov, even under contract to the khl, could still partake in development camp but would probably have to "pay his own way" like the NCAA guys do.

Last year he ran into Visa troubles, so he couldn't attend.  Not sure how they can help, but sure would like to see him play (or read about him playing on NA ice).  He was available to the CHL import draft but was not selected.

Last year he ran into Visa troubles, so he couldn't attend.  Not sure how they can help, but sure would like to see him play (or read about him playing on NA ice).  He was available to the CHL import draft but was not selected.

He wouldn't have been selected because he was already under contract to the KHL so CHL teams knew he wouldn't have been coming over here.

Ideally sure it would be great to see him on NA ice, but I'm good with him developing in Russia too. He'll likely getting better opportunities there and then they can use the AHL spot here to develop someone else, or have more depth for the NHL team too so I think it's a win - win if he spends another 2 seasons or so over there because they still retain his rights and he can get more ice time and probably more quality ice time too.

He wouldn't have been selected because he was already under contract to the KHL so CHL teams knew he wouldn't have been coming over here.

Ideally sure it would be great to see him on NA ice, but I'm good with him developing in Russia too. He'll likely getting better opportunities there and then they can use the AHL spot here to develop someone else, or have more depth for the NHL team too so I think it's a win - win if he spends another 2 seasons or so over there because they still retain his rights and he can get more ice time and probably more quality ice time too.

The first part is strange, since I remember a story about it, but you are right, he was under contract for 2014/15, and reportedly signed a 2-year deal in the KHL.

My understanding is:

There is no formal agreement with KHL from NHL on their contracted players however..

There is an informal handshake type agreement to honor their players contracts.

Flames have always honored this informal agreement and waited out the remaining contracts.

I know some deals come with out clauses that are in effect from season end (finish of KHL Playoffs) until season start (post training camp). If he has one of those out clauses Rafikov could potentially suit up for Stockton as early as next year (And I think he does, I recall reading him stating that if coming to NA is deemed in his best interest for development by our management, he would do it).

My understanding is:

There is no formal agreement with KHL from NHL on their contracted players however..

There is an informal handshake type agreement to honor their players contracts.

Flames have always honored this informal agreement and waited out the remaining contracts.

There is talk that Russia will be closing off the ability of players that are signed to KHL deal to come to North America prior to age 28.

That would be a short-sighted move that would likely kill the KHL, though.  Haven't heard much discussion about it in the last few days, but EDM signed one of their Russian prospects before he could be hampered by it.

I thought they were talking about restricting Russians from coming over until 28 regardless of their KHL status.

I can understand it to some extent. We get to watch Tarasenko, Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, etc. It would suck to be a fan of the KHL watching these guys leave to play here.

But the government restricting this is over the top IMO.

I thought they were talking about restricting Russians from coming over until 28 regardless of their KHL status.

I can understand it to some extent. We get to watch Tarasenko, Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, etc. It would suck to be a fan of the KHL watching these guys leave to play here.

But the government restricting this is over the top IMO.

The understanding I have is that the are saying that once a player signs a KHL contract, he can't play hockey anywhere else until age 28.  But, it doesn't seem to be well covered, so I don't 100% know the truth.

Here is a link to a SN story about it, but I read about it somewhere else....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-fetisov-wants-to-stall-khlers-from-joining-nhl/

The understanding I have is that the are saying that once a player signs a KHL contract, he can't play hockey anywhere else until age 28.  But, it doesn't seem to be well covered, so I don't 100% know the truth.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-fetisov-wants-to-stall-khlers-from-joining-nhl/

don't think they can do that. No player wants to sign with the KHL anymore if they are not allowed to sign outside the KHL after the contract. All contracts with an agreement regarding the NHL wouldn't be valid. Probaly on an international level those rules will be invalid.

This is just propaganda, nothing more. All hat and no cattle (translated by an online dictionary.... :) )

If that is the case they are making a big mistake IMO.  Players with NHL ambitions and talent will avoid signing with the KHL entirely to keep that option open.  They will either play their development years in the CHL or in another European league.  Given the issues with the KHL currently this seems like really poor timing.  

It will be interesting to see if this impacts the draft or not.  Svechnikov for example played 3 games in the KHL before joining the CHL.  It will also be interesting to see how they go about enforcing this.  Will the NHL honor the rule in absence of a transfer agreement?  

Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) tweeted at 3:04 PM on Mon, Jun 01, 2015:

The #Flames have elected not to sign defenceman Eric Roy. He will re-enter the #NHLDraft.

Waste of a pick, but he may never amount to an NHL player.  I guess the writing was on the wall when they signed Morrison and Nakadl.  TBH, I think once he rejected the "bona fide" offer last year, that was basically the end of his days as a Flames prospect, unless he did something really special this last year.

I guess this means we are going to draft another "Roy" this summer.

Listening to BT on radio with Boomer, he talked about Roy as a guy that didn't improve over his overage year, but he said in their discussion with Roy, they did not rule out signing him to an AHL deal after he went through the draft.  If they signed him to an AHL deal, they could still assign him to the ECHL.  The Flames control all aspects of the roster for the Thunder now.

That said, it is really just throwing the concept out there, not a definite plan.

• 2 months later...

Im assuming there wasent much interest from other teams, cause he went back into the draft as an overager no?

Correct.

Would have been tough to spend a draft pick on IMO. You'd have to sign him and put him on your 50 roster list right away and given everyone is aware he plateaued from a development perspective its risky to have him on your 50 IMO. I think what the Flames did is perfect to get one more look at him in a pro camp and if the run he went on towrads the end of the season is proof of development only then do you sign him. If not, cut bait and I know when the Flmaes talked about how they weren't going to sign him they mentioned this was an option they were considering.  Much rather this scenario then 3 years of him potetnially wasting a reserve list spot.

Correct.

Would have been tough to spend a draft pick on IMO. You'd have to sign him and put him on your 50 roster list right away and given everyone is aware he plateaued from a development perspective its risky to have him on your 50 IMO. I think what the Flames did is perfect to get one more look at him in a pro camp and if the run he went on towrads the end of the season is proof of development only then do you sign him. If not, cut bait and I know when the Flmaes talked about how they weren't going to sign him they mentioned this was an option they were considering.  Much rather this scenario then 3 years of him potetnially wasting a reserve list spot.

Pretty low-risk alternative.  He could end up being a late bloomer.  Not that we need another defenseman in the AHL, but having an extra dart to throw is never a bad thing if he manages to outshine one of our other guys on the farm.

• 1 month later...

Eric roy was released from his ATO this year and looks like will not be coming to camp. Flames are likely done with him which makes sense considering their depth on the blueline and that he has never stood out.

Pat Steinberg 34s
#Flames have returned Jason Bell, Jason Fram, Julien Proulx, and Tomas Soustal to their junior teams. Also released Eric Roy from his ATO.
View details·

Eric roy was released from his ATO this year and looks like will not be coming to camp. Flames are likely done with him which makes sense considering their depth on the blueline and that he has never stood out.

Pat Steinberg 34s
#Flames have returned Jason Bell, Jason Fram, Julien Proulx, and Tomas Soustal to their junior teams. Also released Eric Roy from his ATO.
View details·

Too bad for Eric.  He's a cousin of my coworker.  My coworker is lazy.  And an Oilers fan. 

NUFF SAID

Too bad for Eric.  He's a cousin of my coworker.  My coworker is lazy.  And an Oilers fan. 

NUFF SAID

Never let it be said we didn't give him opportunity.  He had years as a Flames prospect to impress.  He was given a do-over with a chance at the prospects camp/games; he just didn't bring it or didn't outshine some of our other guys like Andersson, Kylington, or Kulak.  With the number of d-men already showing NHL abilities, he was way too far down the list to really every make it past the ECHL. 

Archived