Hockey News Future Watch 2015

Calgary Flames franchise rank - B+. 8th overall in the NHL.

Top 10 according to Hockey news:

1. Sam Bennett (number two ranked prospect in NHL)

2. Markus Granlund (ranked 64 overal)

3. Emile Porier ( ranked 68 overall)

4. Joni Ortio

5. Sven Baertschi (obviously was traded to Van)

6. Jon Gilles

7. Michael Ferland

8. Tyler Wotherspoon

9. Bill Arnold

10. Brandon Hickey.

Organizationally I think the flames are appropriate ranked. I think their prospect pool is right around the 5-10 range so I think the Hockey News is fair. I personally think they have Granland too high and I would include Klimchuk on this list but for the most part this is a pretty fair list IMO. Having said that, it's nice to finally be able to actual debate the top prospects of the organization. Been a while since their top 10 wasn't obvious or was absent two first round picks in Jankowski and Kllimchuk. Pretty good depth in key areas when two first round picks don't crack your top 10. Yes to a certain degree that says something about the picks I get that, but I think it also says a lot about their depth and their ability to find prospects outside the first round.

Mine isn't horribly different from THN. My biggest differencrs are Baertschi and Wotherspoon out with Culkin and Klimchuk in. Biggest differences from my own list last year are the rise of Ortio and Hickey.

1. Bennett

2. Poirier

3. Granlund

4. Gilles

5. Ortio

6. Ferland

7. Arnold

8. Culkin

9. Hickey

10. Klimchuk

I don't know what everyone sees in Ferland.  His stats in ADK and in Calgary suck.

He came into Calgary with a great camp. He started in the AHL on fire, much like Granlund. He played part of a game on his first call-up, and got an elbow to the head. He hasn't fully got back his game since.

I don't know what everyone sees in Ferland.  His stats in ADK and in Calgary suck.

Who would you put in his place?  Adirondack hasn't been a high scoring team.  Most of the prospects you would consider for the top 10 are around the 0.5 PPG mark.  He is in that same range.  

His stats don't suck.  And as others have said, he was one of the top players in Adirondack before he got hurt.  Why don't you put your own top 10 up if you don't like seeing him on other's lists?

Mine isn't horribly different from THN. My biggest differencrs are Baertschi and Wotherspoon out with Culkin and Klimchuk in. Biggest differences from my own list last year are the rise of Ortio and Hickey.

1. Bennett

2. Poirier

3. Granlund

4. Gilles

5. Ortio

6. Ferland

7. Arnold

8. Culkin

9. Hickey

10. Klimchuk

My list is surprisingly similar to yours with one exception and a couple switches in placement.

1. Bennett

2. Poirier

---------------

3. Granlund

4. Ortio

5. Gilles

6. Ferland

7. Arnold

-----------------

8. Wotherspoon

9. Klimchuk

10. Hickey

-----------------

11. Cundari

12. Culkin

I have thrown in some lines to show a gap in mostly potential and a little bit of development.

With most of these top prospects likely playing on the Flames full time next season, the team overall looks pretty bleak again in terms of prospects (depending on who we draft this season).

Bennett

Poirier

Granlund

Ferland

Ortio

Wotherspoon

Wow, like who is left?  Our top prospect will likely be the 2015 1st round pick.  After that?  Gillies? Klimchuk? Jankowski?  The Flames probably drop back down into the mid-teens in terms of team prospect rankings.

With most of these top prospects likely playing on the Flames full time next season, the team overall looks pretty bleak again in terms of prospects (depending on who we draft this season).

Bennett

Poirier

Granlund

Ferland

Ortio

Wotherspoon

Wow, like who is left?  Our top prospect will likely be the 2015 1st round pick.  After that?  Gillies? Klimchuk? Jankowski?  The Flames probably drop back down into the mid-teens in terms of team prospect rankings.

This season only 2 players have really made and held the prospects/rookie spots on the Flames. JH and Jooris. There is little reason to believe that 6 of the prospects off the farm are going to make the jump completely.

I expect BT to do pretty much the same thing as this season which is to bring in more veterans to compete for spots. Also he signed a bunch of these vets to 2 year contracts with the expectations only a couple rookies would make the jump. 

So from your list I see them giving Bennett a good shot, Ortio too because of waivers and Poirier will get another shot but after that??

This season only 2 players have really made and held the prospects/rookie spots on the Flames. JH and Jooris. There is little reason to believe that 6 of the prospects off the farm are going to make the jump completely.

I expect BT to do pretty much the same thing as this season which is to bring in more veterans to compete for spots. Also he signed a bunch of these vets to 2 year contracts with the expectations only a couple rookies would make the jump. 

So from your list I see them giving Bennett a good shot, Ortio too because of waivers and Poirier will get another shot but after that??

Well, i guess what does THN consider a prospect?  Monahan is younger than some of those guys on the list so it can't be age alone.  Maybe games played?  But Granlund, even if the plays half NHL and half AHL next season may exceed the games played to be considered a prospect.  Ferland looks like he will play the rest of the season with the Flames so does that not qualify him as a prospect afterwards?

In regards to Wotherspoon, i guess ya.  Schlemko, Diaz, and Potter are UFA after this season.  I think the intention is to graduate one Dman to the NHL from the farm as long as the prospect shows he's capable of course.  There's a chance the Flames would go with a veteran via the UFA market.

Well, i guess what does THN consider a prospect?  Monahan is younger than some of those guys on the list so it can't be age alone.  Maybe games played?  But Granlund, even if the plays half NHL and half AHL next season may exceed the games played to be considered a prospect.  Ferland looks like he will play the rest of the season with the Flames so does that not qualify him as a prospect afterwards?

In regards to Wotherspoon, i guess ya.  Schlemko, Diaz, and Potter are UFA after this season.  I think the intention is to graduate one Dman to the NHL from the farm as long as the prospect shows he's capable of course.  There's a chance the Flames would go with a veteran via the UFA market.

Wotherspoon is a mystery. I thought he played well enough before to warrant a shot at the club this season.  Flames have bought Wotherspoon up more than once this season only to have him sit in bleachers waiting for his chance to play. He got some games in last season and should know what it takes but this year nothing...

Then again he is D and Brodie took a similar path with multiple callups and many times he was sent down to refine his game.

Wotherspoon is a mystery. I thought he played well enough before to warrant a shot at the club this season.  Flames have bought Wotherspoon up more than once this season only to have him sit in bleachers waiting for his chance to play. He got some games in last season and should know what it takes but this year nothing...

Then again he is D and Brodie took a similar path with multiple callups and many times he was sent down to refine his game.

Didn't Brodie impress with his camp, only to be sent down to the AHL to work on his game? He only played 12 games in the AHL, then the rest of the year in the NHL, and never looked back. He played all of 15 AHL games, excluding the lockout year.

Wotherspoon was really good just before his injury. I don't know if his lack of games was Hartley not seeing him during training camp or what. I can understand them going with Diaz and Engelland, not knowing Spoon's availability after surgery. But he was not given the same opportunity this season. He may not be a Seth Jones, but he did have similar numbers in junior, and he showed some flair in his NHL games.

The Gio injury probably eliminated any chance of Spoon playing as a callup. Hartley could not chance it, even if he is as good or better than Potter and Engelland.

Didn't Brodie impress with his camp, only to be sent down to the AHL to work on his game? He only played 12 games in the AHL, then the rest of the year in the NHL, and never looked back. He played all of 15 AHL games, excluding the lockout year.

Wotherspoon was really good just before his injury. I don't know if his lack of games was Hartley not seeing him during training camp or what. I can understand them going with Diaz and Engelland, not knowing Spoon's availability after surgery. But he was not given the same opportunity this season. He may not be a Seth Jones, but he did have similar numbers in junior, and he showed some flair in his NHL games.

The Gio injury probably eliminated any chance of Spoon playing as a callup. Hartley could not chance it, even if he is as good or better than Potter and Engelland.

6563e313ece56cf649bba56eb23d0917.png

Brodie went through multiple callups and training camps before getting and grabbing his opportunity. He got his opportunity with a bunch of injuries to Flames D. 

20010-11 and 2011-12 seasons he was sent back despite good camps. It was his 2012-13 season he seized his opportunity.

Edit: At least that is how I remember it all going down..

Bennett

Poirier

Granlund

Ferland

Ortio

Wotherspoon

Wow, like who is left? Our top prospect will likely be the 2015 1st round pick. After that? Gillies? Klimchuk? Jankowski? The Flames probably drop back down into the mid-teens in terms of team prospect rankings.

That's bound to happen People so I'm not sure that is a bad thing. Once you make that transition from rebuilder to builder of course you are going to fall once you graduate your prospects. They will add 6 top 90 pick this year so depth wise they should stay in the mid terms or higher and then the pressure is on the scouting staff to find players to keep them going. I don't think there is any reason to worry.

6563e313ece56cf649bba56eb23d0917.png

Brodie went through multiple callups and training camps before getting and grabbing his opportunity. He got his opportunity with a bunch of injuries to Flames D. 

20010-11 and 2011-12 seasons he was sent back despite good camps. It was his 2012-13 season he seized his opportunity.

Edit: At least that is how I remember it all going down..

I think you have it right. I remember the 3 games at the start of the season and then being sent back. That helped him the most. The next year he started in the AHL.  When you said a "bunch of callups", I thought you were saying it happened often, not just the first two years. In year two, I think he stuck after getting called up.

Archived