Beyond Corsi - Let's Dig a Little Deeper

cccsberg

I was looking at some of the new stats, especially the /20 minutes of ice time and saw something rather surprising. Penalties Drawn per 20 minutes of ice time, Bollig is third on the team (Bouma leads the team with 0.51 PenDr/20, Granlund is second with 0.50 PenDr/20, Bollig has a surprising 0.49 PenDr/20).  The fourth place is 0.14 PenDr/20 behind him, which says something about his ability as a bit of an agitator as well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at some of the new stats, especially the /20 minutes of ice time and saw something rather surprising. Penalties Drawn per 20 minutes of ice time, Bollig is third on the team (Bouma leads the team with 0.51 PenDr/20, Granlund is second with 0.50 PenDr/20, Bollig has a surprising 0.49 PenDr/20).  The fourth place is 0.14 PenDr/20 behind him, which says something about his ability as a bit of an agitator as well.

That is my new favorite stat on nhl.com.  But as Haynes said, it includes penalties where players of both teams go off (i.e. post whistle scrum) so the numbers are probably off a bit for guys like Bollig since he probably didn't generate a PP in many cases.  

• 4 weeks later...

With the "Cult" thread taking over duties of making fun of the advanced stats I thought I would resurrect this thread.  This was a thread started to talk about advanced stats that go beyond Corsi (Shot Attempts) and show other ways the data can be used.  

Here is an interesting metric.  It was pulled from Puckalytics.com.  This shows the percentage of goals for that the players were on the ice for.  It only includes games that the player was in.  

Forwards: 

ewr2UKS.png

Defense

QiaRIeR.png

The is the same sheet.  But this time it shows goals against

Forwards:

dMkgJoy.png

Defense

JXA7mj4.png

This is the information combined.  It shows the goals for relative to goals against.  

Forwards

9MQgJdn.png

Defense

H1QprIY.png

There are some interesting results.  

On D:

• Russell has been REALLY good
  • When you consider the level of competition Brodie faces, he has been TREMENDOUS.  I mean really good.  
  • Diaz, Engelland, and Smid haven't been very good.  In fact, they have been terrible. Weak links on the entire team.  
  • Wideman has been really good offensively, not great defensively, but overall he helps put it in the opponents net more often then ours.  

On forward:

• There are some surprising names at the top.  Colborne, Bouma, and Jooris have been great depth guys.  
  • Compare them to guys like Bollig, Setoguchi, and McGrattan. Wow.  
  • Gaudreau has been ridiculously dominant for a rookie
  • Taken as a whole, Monahan has been merely decent.  But keep context in mind.  He has stayed pretty close to even playing the other teams top competition.  He has also taken off like crazy the last couple of weeks.  

There is lot more information here.  But in the interest of length I will leave it at that for now.  

With the "Cult" thread taking over duties of making fun of the advanced stats I thought I would resurrect this thread.  This was a thread started to talk about advanced stats that go beyond Corsi (Shot Attempts) and show other ways the data can be used.  

On D:

• When you consider the level of competition Brodie faces, he has been TREMENDOUS.  I mean really good.  
  • Diaz, Engelland, and Smid haven't been very good.  In fact, they have been terrible. Weak links on the entire team.  
  • Wideman has been really good offensively, not great defensively, but overall he helps put it in the opponents net more often then ours.  
On forward:
  • There are some surprising names at the top.  Colborne, Bouma, and Jooris have been great depth guys.  
  • Taken as a whole, Monahan has been merely decent.  But keep context in mind.  He has stayed pretty close to even playing the other teams top competition.  He has also taken off like crazy the last couple of weeks.  
There is lot more information here.  But in the interest of length I will leave it at that for now.
The stats pretty much match the eye test. Russell and Brody have been the defensive stalwarts of the team, while Wideman has brought his offensive game up. Brody is stuck with Engelland, so his game looks less effective now.

Gaudreau is easily the best at zone entries, setting up the play and QB'ing the PP. While he has lots of give-aways, he makes up for it by take-aways and controlling the play in the O-zone, especially when the net is empty.

This is the information combined.  It shows the goals for relative to goals against.  

Forwards

9MQgJdn.png

Defense

H1QprIY.png

On D:

On forward:

Very interesting data.  I'm wondering about the kids, especially Drew Shore and Ferland who I've always thought looked pretty good out there but the numbers say they are getting killed.  It makes me wonder about the Quality of Competition and line-matching of other teams.  I wonder if we could get the GF60-GA60 versus QualComp graph it would further elucidate an actual, more realistic picture of what is happening?

I agree that QOC would add some context to the data. That said, I am not that worried about Ferland or Shore yet. Shore only has 6 games played and Ferland has only been on the ice for 5 goal events. It's a small enough sample that a couple of good games could move them from bad to decent. And by the eye test they are progressing.

Archived