Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that is needed to clinch is a regulation/OT win vs Arizona and a regulation win against LA! And all LA can do is tie and Calgary wins tie breaker. This would be most ideal as my heart could not stand to watch the whole season rest on the last game vs Winnipeg. Fingers crossed!

2 regulation wins over the Yotes and Kings and the Flames are in. 

Talk about drama. Having to beat the former Cup Champs to get in the playoffs... But the Flames still have the most important thing in their favor - they are in control of their destiny still. No one has to do anything for them...

Oh man! That means Darryl will have his troops good and ready too!

Call up McGrats and start him in the first shift of the game! Oh wait, I think we lost that game against the Canucks. Only joking by the way.

But we need to play big and not back down...

LA and CGY are both playing must win games against two of the worst teams in the NHL tonight.  If either team loses tonight it will be a melt down of epic proportions.  Assuming both win then the LA/CGY game will be the biggest game played in Calgary in too many years to count.  I can't even imagine what tickets will be going for.  

As others have said if we win both games we are in (as long as LA is in regulation).  If we lose either then we have to count on LA or WPG losing.  I don't want to count on that.  

This has got to be one of the most exciting and drama-filled playoff pushes we've seen in a long time. I'd just like to go on record and say that no matter the outcome I am very proud to call myself a Flames fan. We've seen one hell of a season from our favorite team. I'm excited for our future and can see a run of playoff appearances for years to come.

Just imagine if the Flames were given a chance to control their own playoff destiny. 
Not an impossible task but rather a very reasonable task which simply involved beating 2 teams in 3 nights on home ice. 
The first team they would face would be the last placed team in their conference and arguably the worst team in the entire league, a team in a race for the McDavid sweepstakes, and a team which they have beaten in all 4 meeting this season. 
The second team they would face would be a 9th placed team in the conference.  A team which they have a 3-1 series lead on.
If they stay focused and accomplish these two tasks then Saturday in WPG could be a fun afternoon of loosey goosy scrimmage hockey.

LA and CGY are both playing must win games against two of the worst teams in the NHL tonight.  If either team loses tonight it will be a melt down of epic proportions.  Assuming both win then the LA/CGY game will be the biggest game played in Calgary in too many years to count.  I can't even imagine what tickets will be going for.  

As others have said if we win both games we are in (as long as LA is in regulation).  If we lose either then we have to count on LA or WPG losing.  I don't want to count on that.  

LA has the dubious task of beating the Oilers and San Jose on either side of the game against the Flames. You know that San Jose will do everything possible (including fighting) to beat the Kings. They have already choked this season, so they don't have to worry about losing in the playoffs; they can exact revenge against the Kings.  Imagine the joy in Sharks-land if they were the ones to end LA's playoff hopes.

Sounds like the Oiler are starting Bachman, who gets full marks for coming back after his tragic loss.  You know the Oiler want to win the game for him more than anything else.

LA has the dubious task of beating the Oilers and San Jose on either side of the game against the Flames. You know that San Jose will do everything possible (including fighting) to beat the Kings. They have already choked this season, so they don't have to worry about losing in the playoffs; they can exact revenge against the Kings. Imagine the joy in Sharks-land if they were the ones to end LA's playoff hopes.

Sounds like the Oiler are starting Bachman, who gets full marks for coming back after his tragic loss. You know the Oiler want to win the game for him more than anything else.

I hope so. But the Oilers couldn't even play with energy for 60 minutes in a spoken role against the Flames and San Jose had been pretty bad lately. I think they have given up.

If we want LA to lose I think we need to be the team to make that happen. If they beat the Flames I think they win out.

Winnipeg is less certain. But they have been good against good teams. If St Louis can beat them tonight they are back in reach. But we will still need to win tonight and then beat them on Saturday to make it in.

Flames need to win the next two games. If we beat the Yotes, and Kings, then we are in. However It would be better if we can win all of the remaining games. That would give us 99 points and ensure a playoff matchup against Vancouver, a team this team matches up well against

Just imagine if the Flames were given a chance to control their own playoff destiny. 

Not an impossible task but rather a very reasonable task which simply involved beating 2 teams in 3 nights on home ice. 

The first team they would face would be the last placed team in their conference and arguably the worst team in the entire league, a team in a race for the McDavid sweepstakes, and a team which they have beaten in all 4 meeting this season. 

The second team they would face would be a 9th placed team in the conference.  A team which they have a 3-1 series lead on.

If they stay focused and accomplish these two tasks then Saturday in WPG could be a fun afternoon of loosey goosy scrimmage hockey.

If this scenario was offered at the beginning of the season, who wouldn't have jumped all over it.

This is a team that is very easy to be proud of this season regardless of how it ends.

We need to take the Oilers out for dinner or something after that!

Maybe we can fry up some zebra: Horrible Call Jets/Blues

You should have watched the game rather than cherry pick a St. L slant.

There was a slash that broke a stick. No call.

Reaves on Perraeault. Elbow that knocked his helmet off & sent him to the "quiet room". No call.

In front of the net Reaves laid the lumber on Stuart's neck. Once got Buff 4 games but Reaves did it twice.

Archived