Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are now in must-win territory for the rest of the season. Today we have control, and I hope at least one of LA or WPG loses, because they both play again before we do, and 1 point back with game in hand this time of year is dangerous for us.

At least the 6th will be tough games for both of them.

We are now in must-win territory for the rest of the season. Today we have control, and I hope at least one of LA or WPG loses, because they both play again before we do, and 1 point back with game in hand this time of year is dangerous for us.

At least the 6th will be tough games for both of them.

Unfortunately, we don't have control right now.  If Winnipeg, LA, Vancouver and us all win out, we're on the outside looking in by 1 point.  We need one of LA or Winnipeg to lose a game (even in OT or SO) to have full control of our destiny again.

But that doesn't really change the rest of your point...we must win... 

I meant in control of today's game. As long as we win we hold our position regardless of the other outcomes.

The 6th determines whether or not the season is in our hands or the others.

If we win all 4 games, we cannot be eliminated regardless of how the other teams perform. Even if we win the head-to-heads in extra time its a point tie and we have the tiebreaker over both.

But realistically, we have to win out.

I meant in control of today's game. As long as we win we hold our position regardless of the other outcomes.

The 6th determines whether or not the season is in our hands or the others.

If we win all 4 games, we cannot be eliminated regardless of how the other teams perform. Even if we win the head-to-heads in extra time its a point tie and we have the tiebreaker over both.

But realistically, we have to win out.

Silly me.  My scenario of us all winning out is not possible given that we play both LA and Wpg down the stretch.  Good times...good times...

You nailed it. He got 4 games so will be back for the season closer against Calgary.

Watching the game it wasn't even noticible so didn't result in a penalty. It looks bad in slo-mo but every hit does.

I doubt there was any intent. Buff plays @ a high tempo but has a short rap sheet which shows he's not a head hunter.

The video clearly shows he is a head hunter. The league ruled he is a head hunter. Ergo, he is a head hunter. Should have gotten the remainder of the regular season.

I think we really will have to win out or at least get 7 points to make it.

Would be great to not only see Bennett play the last 4, but contribute the way Sven did in his late season debut.

The offense outside of the top line could really use a kickstart.

Go Flames Go!

Well Winnipeg knocked off Vancouver this afternoon.

TBH, we need to win against the Oils to have a chance, regardless of WPG's result today. The fact that they gave the Nucks an un-timely loss just help out everyone else. No longer can you say the Nuck are a lock. 95 points is a tease, and if they fail to win at least one more point, they could be out.

TBH, we need to win against the Oils to have a chance, regardless of WPG's result today. The fact that they gave the Nucks an un-timely loss just help out everyone else. No longer can you say the Nuck are a lock. 95 points is a tease, and if they fail to win at least one more point, they could be out.

Realistically speaking they are a lock.  It does give us a chance to catch them if they lose against LA though.  But that is for home ice.  Not to knock them out.   

Realistically speaking they are a lock.  It does give us a chance to catch them if they lose against LA though.  But that is for home ice.  Not to knock them out.

Most likely yes. But it is possible that the Flames, Jets, and Kings all win 3 and the Nucks lose the final three. Results would be Nucks 95, Flames 97, Kings 96, WPG 96 (WC).

Most likely yes. But it is possible that the Flames, Jets, and Kings all win 3 and the Nucks lose the final three. Results would be Nucks 95, Flames 97, Kings 96, WPG 96 (WC).

The Canucks play Edmonton and Arizona to end the season.  I wouldn't bet a dollar to 20 that they are going to miss the playoffs.  

Now that 8 game losing skid mid season is really showing itself..even 1 pt out of those 16 would be huge to have right now. I haven't been nervous for a Battle of Alberta game in years..all year long the Oilers have just been finding ways to dial it in night in and out. Tonight I think there going to give us a really hard time, i'm over depending on WPG, LA and VAN for help..Flames helped themselves into this position..might as well go for seconds and help themselves into the post season!

The Canucks play Edmonton and Arizona to end the season.  I wouldn't bet a dollar to 20 that they are going to miss the playoffs.

I wouldn't entertain either bet.

But....

Arizona beat them in March once, and the Oilers have given them fits in recent years. They are older and slower, and don't have Miller back yet.

I'm quite happy we finally tied (and may exceed) that record, but it does bring up a rather disturbing fact - since the late 80s, we pretty much never win more than half our road games. Hopefully this is a sign of change.

Monday is going to be a VERY unpleasant day to be sitting idle. Vancouver has to know they're playing for home ice (and to even stay in) so hopefully can hold off the kings.

I think we really will have to win out or at least get 7 points to make it.

Would be great to not only see Bennett play the last 4, but contribute the way Sven did in his late season debut.

The offense outside of the top line could really use a kickstart.

Go Flames Go!

Would be nice to steal at least a point in the remaining 3 games.  Wins of course are always welcome, but stealing a point would really solidify one of those coveted spots......and in return P.O. the opposition.

Still a plethora of scenarios that can play out.

The wild card projection & record needed is very dynamic now that so few games remain.

As a result, those columns lose their significance.

San Jose can't touch us now.

It basically boils down to beating or tying any of the other teams (VAN/LAK/WPG) in total points.

We win almost all the tie-breakers.

Even Vancouver can be overtaken if we match their points & ROW as we own the season series pts tie-breaker 5-4.

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0442590

Dream scenario...

LA beats Vancouver tomorrow.

Edmonton beats LA Tuesday.

We beat Arizona Tuesday.

That would leave us in a tie with Vancouver (tie breaker to us) and one point up on LA, all having played 80 games. 

We then beat LA on Thursday while Vancouver loses to Arizona on Thursday.  The result is we clinch 2nd in the Pacific, making our game against Winnipeg a non-event.  Home ice advantage for the first round...

Dare to dream...dare to dream...

Archived