Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...with Minny going up 4-1 with 52 seconds left, I think I can safely predict LA is losing tonight, costing them their game in hand.

We're one point back, so still have a chance. Realistically, I think Winnipeg and Vancouver are out of reach (both 3 points up with 7 games left assuming Dallas wins tonight), so I hope to heck LA keeps losing.

While I agree that Van will be tough to catch, 3 points up with 7 to play is really not that crazy.  They lose two in a row and we win two in a row - two scenarios that have happened many times for both teams - and we're above them looking down.

As to all this McDavid talk...I will indulge in the pipe dream (if we lose out on the dream of making the playoffs).  As some have said, McDavid is a no brainer.  But I would listen long and hard to what Tim Murray would offer for it.  In an article on ESPN (insider article so I won't link it), he talked about how insane the trade would have to be to pry the number one away from him if he landed it.  He went on to say that if he didn't land it, he would look to trade up and see if he could make it happen.  The way he was talking it sounded like you could get a package that included the number 2 pick (assuming they would have that), and some other legitimate young talent/roster players. 

I would definitely listen to a package that included Eichel and Ristolainen...

If we win ours anything can happen. Van is about to face STL, NSH, CHI, and WPG on the road then come home to face LA. This race looks like it's gonna be a nail biter 'til the bitter end.

I said it earlier, I don't see many points in there for VAN.  This is still in our hands, but we need to win 5 of 7.

Remaining Games:

Calgary - 87:

Nashville (03/29) - Tossup
Dallas (03/30)- Tossup
St Louis (04/02) - LOSS
Edmonton (04/04) - WIN
Arizona (04/07) - WIN
Los Angeles (04/09)- Tossup
Winnipeg (04/11)- Tossup

Winnipeg - 90:

Chicago (03/29)- Tossup
Rangers (03/31) - LOSS
Vancouver (04/04)- Tossup
Minnesota (04/06) - LOSS
St Lous (04/07) - LOSS
Colorado (04/09) - WIN
Calgary (04/11) - Tossup

Vancouver - 90:

St Louis (03/30) - LOSS
Nashville (03/31) - LOSS
Chicago (04/02) - Tossup
Winnipeg (04/04) - Tossup
Los Angeles (04/06) - Tossup
Arizona (04/09) - WIN
Edmonton (04/11) - WIN

Los Angeles - 88:

Chicago (03/30) - Tossup
Edmonton (04/02) - WIN
Colorado (04/04) - WIN
Vancouver (04/06) - Tossup
Edmonton (04/07) - WIN
Calgary (04/09) - Tossup
San Jose (04/11) - WIN

Point Realms:

Calgary 91-99
Winnipeg 92-98
Vancouver 94-100
Los Angeles 96-102

LA has the easiest schedule by far and could possibly win out. We CAN win 6 of 7. The question is will we?

Random thought on the schedule.  If you are a team in the playoffs (in this case Nashville and St Louis) would you prefer to have Calgary or LA in the playoffs?  Not like I'd suspect either team to give a game away, but perhaps play the backup, Rest up your top players, 4th line more minutes etc...

Random thought on the schedule.  If you are a team in the playoffs (in this case Nashville and St Louis) would you prefer to have Calgary or LA in the playoffs?  Not like I'd suspect either team to give a game away, but perhaps play the backup, Rest up your top players, 4th line more minutes etc...

That is really tough, I mean LA has proven a couple times to be a complete handful to handle in the playoffs (8th seed and 6th seed cup wins, with their 6th seed involving them winning 3 game 7's and coming back from a 3-0 series deficit in the first round). Calgary on the other hand with the work ethic and relentless effort is a team I doubt others want to play that often. Quennville last year even said Calgary was the team he would hate to have to face the most in a best of 7 due to how hard they play.

I think that's hard to say for a lot of the teams. LA has shown that they can win series in the past few years, but Calgary has a lot of young talent that is pushing hard this year and way exceeding expectations.

And I would bet yoou that by now Hartley's 7-game set approach has gotten around the league, and most teams have looked at it and realized that the flames are for the most part wining 4 of 7. That's not an encouraging sign for them either knowing the Flames have had a playoff mindset all season.

Also, they're probably realizing that the Flames are able to beat just about anyone:

League Leaders: 6-5-1
Montreal 1-0-1
NY Rangers 0-2-0
Nashville 3-0-0
Anaheim 2-3-0

West Playoff Contenders: 8-8-2
St Louis 0-2-0 +1 pending
Minnesota 0-2-1
Vancouver 2-1-1
Chicago 1-2-0
Winnipeg 2-0-0 +1 pending
Los Angeles 3-1-0 +1 pending

East Playoff Contenders: 5-7-2
Tampa Bay 0-1-1
Detroit 1-1-0
NY Islanders 0-2-0
Pittsburgh 0-2-0
Wahington 1-1-0
Boston 2-0-0
Ottawa 1-0-1

West Bubble Teams: 6-3-1
Dallas 0-1-1 +1 pending
San Jose 4-1-0
Colorado 2-1-0

East Bubble Teams: 5-2-1

Florida 1-1-0
Philadelphia 2-0-0
Columbus 0-1-1
New Jersey 2-0-0

Lottery Teams: 11-3-0
Carolina 1-1-0
Toronto 1-1-0
Buffalo 1-1-0
Edmonton 4-0-0 +1 pending
Arizona 4-0-0 +1 pending

We consistently beat the teams we're supposed to beat (despite recent issues with Dallas and Colorado) ,and we're playing at even strength with the western conference playoff teams and each of the conference leaders. We fall down a little against the east playoff teams, but that's only an issue if we make the finals.

Overall, for a second year rebuild? We're doing exactly what we're supposed to be doing. That should be getting some notice from the teams who may have to face us in a 7 game series. We're not a pushover.

A team in the playoffs most would rather face Calgary over LA.

LA is a team that has proven that regardless where they finish they can go all the way. They are making a big push (6-3-1) & adding talent (Sekara, recall of Mike Richards).

Calgary is a team that has exceeded expectations all season. Current team (some individuals do but not with these teammates) has 0 playoff experience. 5-3-2 is 1 less point but 2 more games you didn't win. In the playoffs there are 0 welfare points. Meanwhile losing Gio was subtracting our best D & captain. Him showing up & being rah-rah in the locker room is not the same as following him onto the ice.

The defending SC Champion will be shown more respect than the newcomer.

LA has star power & depth the Flames don't.

Boston's victory today officially eliminated Philadelphia & New Jersey in one fell swoop.

Calgary back in the saddle. For once, the OOT scoreboard was good to us - WPG L + SJS OTL

Continuing this new-found OOT help, another CGY win tomorrow combined with a VAN & LAK loss would be sweet.

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0337211

Let's hope that St.Lou can dim the playoff hopes of the Orcas (followed by a shellacking by the Preds), the Hawks can bring in the 6th man (Madhouse on Madison), and the Stars bow down to our superior road game mentality. The OOT scoreboard has been nice to us, so I hope it continues to help out.

Tonight was huge. Not only did we get two points against a good team. But we looked good for the first time in the last 7 games or so.

If we can get two points tomorrow we are right back in it. LA has an easy schedule though and a game in hand so a loss tomorrow could be costly.

Winnipeg - 90:

Chicago (03/29)

Rangers (03/31)

Vancouver (04/04)

Minnesota (04/06)

St Lous (04/07)

Colorado (04/09)

Calgary (04/11)

It looks like Winnipeg could be in for a 5-game losing streak starting right now.

LA has started their playoff mode so i think they will be uncatchable.  It looks like they can win 6 of their last 8 games so that's going to be tough for the Flames to beat.

One down for the Jets, 4 more to go.

Tonight was huge. Not only did we get two points against a good team. But we looked good for the first time in the last 7 games or so.

If we can get two points tomorrow we are right back in it. LA has an easy schedule though and a game in hand so a loss tomorrow could be costly.

LA plays CHI, who got a huge victory against the Jets.  They looked to be getting in the groove and could be too much for LA to handle.  The SPOilers have been terrible against the Kings this year, but are rolling a bit more now and may be able to actually beat the Kings.  COL will be pulling out all the stops to stay in the race and may be a tough team for LA to beat.

Overall, I would say that WPG has the toughest schedule the next few games; NYR, VAN, Minnie and STL (B2B). VAN has a B2B with STL and NASH, so they could lose one or both.

We need some help from the OOT scoreboard, but really just need some wins. 4/6 should do it, but hoping for 5/6, steaming into the playoffs.

Archived