Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

I think every one out of the playoffs gets 1 ball, after that everyone in the playoffs gets 1 ball.  Second round goes by standing finishes.  That elimates tanking.  Most of all I would like to SEE it live.  If you draft well, you don't need a first overall to become a Franchise player.  ( see Geo or Mony or Johnny ).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are the one constantly talking about the value of a top 3 pick. If the poor teams get them they become better teams. Or at least have the opportunity to be better teams.

If the top picks go to good teams the rich get richer and the poor stay poor. The NHL won't let that fly.

I like having the bottom 5 picks being up for the lottery. I like that they have opened the lottery to all non playoff teams. I like that they flattened the lottery odds (I would like them even flatter).

But I doubt you are ever going to see a flat lottery that includes the playoff teams. And I don't think you should because that puts too much power to random chance.

I meant to suggest all non-playoff teams get seeded for the first round based on a non-weighted lottery.  Playoff teams don't get to enter the lottery.

One main reason teams suck is because they trade away players to finish lower in the standings.  By not offering an incentive for be lower in the standings, we won't see teams trade away players.  You may even see many non-playoff teams add players at the TDL even when they are at the basement of the league.  Teams improve in the standings by simply playing better rather than by turning over their roster as we have seen in the league.

You will simply see "hockey trades" instead of trades for tanking.

One main reason teams suck is because they trade away players to finish lower in the standings. 

I see tanking on one side and getting rid of some players that may not be part of the future plans. Let it be expiring contracts, contracts that block a rebuild or players that are good but have been sorted out or requested a trade(Bouwmeester comes to mind).

As soon as you give away players for picks it would be tanking. I am not sure if it is that simple... this has been the sellers/buyers issue since I have been following the NHL.

I meant to suggest all non-playoff teams get seeded for the first round based on a non-weighted lottery.  Playoff teams don't get to enter the lottery.

One main reason teams suck is because they trade away players to finish lower in the standings.  By not offering an incentive for be lower in the standings, we won't see teams trade away players.  You may even see many non-playoff teams add players at the TDL even when they are at the basement of the league.  Teams improve in the standings by simply playing better rather than by turning over their roster as we have seen in the league.

Agree that it should change the parameters for GMs as much more risky tanking because far less chance of getting one of the top picks.  It will be interesting to see which way it goes over the next few years, as well as this year.  It would be great to see #1 overall go to someone in the 17-25th position...

Mods, you want to move all the drafting talk to a new or existing thread, it's kinda cluttering up this playoff thread?

Granted I might've started the snowball with the standings eval with a new points system.

Btw Calgarians, it is 23*C where I live right now, be jealous.

Btw Calgarians, it is 23*C where I live right now, be jealous.

Calgarians are proud of the -30°C and the snow that can happen at any time of the year. Why would they be jealous about the tropic temperatures you are experiencing?

No..... if you want to respond to my post..... don't discuss the weather any further then the draft stuff.... this is the Flames playoff thread! :D

Even hurricane forces cannot push Carolina into the playoffs now. Next year territory for you - RIP.

I am awed by Ottawa's surge into the East picture. I would love to see a similar finish by the Flames.

OOT not co-operating so the Flames must continue to pay their own way into the playoffs.

It looks like MIN & WPG have now shut the door on any far-fetched dreams DAL or COL had at a WC.

SJS is now also extremely unlikely to bite anyone with continued strong play by VAN, CGY, and LAK.

3 teams & 2 spots in the Pacific up for grabs barring a MIN or WPG collapse for a WC chance.

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0333359

Reminder - Record Needed is for a projected WC spot. Actual pts for 2nd/3rd in Pacific may be lower.

Boston must not be happy at all tonight.

Thankfully we are.

But man, every team in the race is keeping it on fire with their play of late.

SJS can pretty much be officially counted out though. So its really down to keeping ahead of LA the rest of the way or winning one more than WPG the rest of the way.

No pressure or anything.

We put the nail in Colorado's coffin tonight. We need to do it again for Dallas on Wednesday.

And what is with the OOT? I guess I am cheering for Winnipeg tomorrow against Vancouver. Winnipeg is too hot right now to fall out. That said, Vancouver is getting tough to catch with a game in hand and a better ROW.

It is looking more and more like Calgary vs LA.Gross.

I'm cheering for WPG for two reasons - get us closer to the Nucks, and to keep LAK out of a playoff spot.

My least favourite Western Team is the Kings and if the three Canadian teams can work together to keep them out I'd be a very happy man.

We have a better record in the last 10. We are up 2 points and have a better ROW for the tie breaker. We just need to keep up with their record in the next 9 and we are in.

But the final game of the season is against LA. That might be the most important game in Calgary in a long long time.

I'm still hoping for a canucks collapse, we all know how they perform under pressure  ^_^  They are 2 points up and a game on hand but they have some tough games left, except for the last two unfortunately.  LA also has a tough next 4. Hopefully we can get some luck in the OOT scoreboard.  

We put the nail in Colorado's coffin tonight. We need to do it again for Dallas on Wednesday.

And what is with the OOT? I guess I am cheering for Winnipeg tomorrow against Vancouver. Winnipeg is too hot right now to fall out. That said, Vancouver is getting tough to catch with a game in hand and a better ROW.

It is looking more and more like Calgary vs LA.Gross.

Yeah, its wild for sure, 2-3 losses in a row by anyone and its pretty much over.  Flames versus LAK is tough, but as they say.... If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best.

Yup I'm cheering for Winnipeg so 2nd place in the Pacific is still within reach.

I think the best results is to have WPG win againt the Nucks twice.  They can lose to the Habs, Hawks, Rangers, Blues, COL, and us, but beat thee Wild.  That would give them 94 pts.  LA and the Nucks can fight it out for 3rd in the Pacific and the last Wild Card spot.

Starting to look like 96 points might not be enough to get in. I think it will take 97 points, maybe even 98. We have to at least go 5-3-1 to get in with minimal help I think. If the nucks can finish the job tonight, the Jets might be the team to beat.

Archived